5.0 out of 5 stars Storming book for the beginner and reference to the expert
Published on 11 Sept. 2001

1.0 out of 5 stars Out of date.
I found it poorly written and although only published a few years ago the markets move so quickly that all the facts and figures quoted were miserably out of date making the book pretty useless.
Published 25 days ago by Agrippina

5.0 out of 5 stars Storming book for the beginner and reference to the expert, 11 Sept. 2001
By A Customer
As a newbie to finance I wanted a book that would ease me into the normally mysterious and murky world of finance, stocks and shares. I bought this book from Amazon and although I wouldn't call myself an expert I have a much firmer grasp of share dealing. I am outperforming my friends who have been trading 18 months and even in this bear market I am still in profit. Buy this book now.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last a financial book good for beginners, 19 Dec. 2001
By A Customer
First I tried to read "Using the Financial Pages" by FT but after I read a few pages I stopped. Definitions and more definitions. This book is different because it have examples. Thus you understand much better things like EPS, PE, etc. From my experience people who understand things well can also explain them well and I think Michael Brett is one of those guys. If you want to invest in stocks, this book is worth the money, as it will help you understand the fundementals.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very detailed, 28 Oct. 2007
W. Henderson (UK) - See all my reviews
This book is packed with jargon and explanations and it works well as a reference. It helps me to pick out bits of interest. It doesnt work so well reading it cover to cover, it doesnt always flow very well and it tends to have short examples rather than captivating stories.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not really a beginners guide, 28 Mar. 2009
The book is certainly very thorough. For someone reasonably familiar with financial services products this works well but for the total beginner there is too much detail that can serve to confuse.

4.0 out of 5 stars shares speak English, 18 Oct. 2010
Carlos Vazquez Quintana "cvq" (Linares- Spain) - See all my reviews
This book is very good. There are good books also about financial affairs in Spanish, but I think English is the "natural" language of stock market and finances as Spanish is for bullfight. Terms and words in international stock market and finances are widely English.
This edition has however an unavoidable empty, because dating from the year 2000, the author, logically, speculates too much about the Euro, the general European continental money unknown by then in real practice. Today, we know much more about that, for good or bad.
Stock market is a dangerous but convenient entertainment to know and practice when one gets older, because one can "play" there until the end of his life, a thing impossible in another areas. In that sense this book is very practical but academic, and doesn't contain nor mentions that Economics and stock market sinks his deep roots in human psychology, you can be sure of this. A banknote and ever a gold bar or a diamond are worthless if you don't give to these an affective psychological value so, for being successful in Economics you must know some of the psychology of human masses. This signifies you must read at less weekly economic press and not to ignore the politics. The rest depends of you and no one book can teach you all these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and methodical, 18 Feb. 2010
D Poisson "Perennialist" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I am so pleased to find a book on financial education that really does take you from no knowledge to a good working understanding of the terms and processes of the financial market. So many books explain jargon by using more jargon that's only explained later in the book. Michael Brett must be a trained educator. A very friendly tone without being 'goofy' or patronising. A very british style that is approachable even if numbers bring you out in a rash (which is my case!). Lots of clear examples and illustrations, the style is conversational rather than lecturing.

Chapters include (this is only a significant selection):

- First Principles
- Financial Derivatives and Commodities
- Commercial Property and the Market Crashes
- Savings, Pooled Investment and Tax Shelters
- Print and Internet: the Financial Pages
- How to read between the lines

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow, 2 Mar. 2013
This review is from: How To Read The Financial Pages (Kindle Edition)
The book covers most the hard concepts and jargon in finance in a clear and easy to follow explanations.
An excellent book for non-specialists. The material in the ebook is well written and extremely helpful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Out of date., 5 Mar. 2015

1.0 out of 5 stars Almost as dense as its subject., 31 Jan. 2015
The writer has no idea of the desperate ignorance of the audience.

1.0 out of 5 stars This guy has no business being a writer..., 6 May 2014
Written in impenetrable propeller-head language with the consequence that it's incredibly hard work for most normal people. Avoid this author like the plague unless you feel like reaching for the aspirin every time you pick up the book, or any others this author has written. I made the mistake of also buying one of his other titles and they're all written in the same intelligible style. The best advice I can offer is get the title from the library first to see if you can get on with it. If you can, all well and good. If not, you've learnt an important lesson. Avoid at all costs and spend your money elsewhere.

How To Read The Financial Pages