5.0 out of 5 stars A True Taste of Scotland, 21 April 2003
Ian Grimes (Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Riof (Audio CD)
This album is a true taste of Scotland with songs taking in the roaring west coast (Feel So Near) through the gentler eastern reaches (Big River) the memorable Scythe Song and gorgeous ballad She Will Find Me. If you're new to Dougie you'll need to hear the album a few times to fully appreciate it. If you've other Dougie albums this one will knock your socks off.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a favorite Dougie CD, but still very good, 11 Jun 2003
This review is from: Riof (Audio CD)
I was introduced to Dougie Maclean just a short time ago, and I have been trying to get my hands on all of his works. Though this is not a favorite of mine, it is still a great album, filled with wonderfully origanal lyrics, beautiful folk music and great singing. The last track, "Distant Son" was especially beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars RIOF - Dougie MacLean, 22 Oct 2011
This review is from: Riof (Audio CD)
As a Scot - who hadn't spent time in her homeland for 30 years - and adores the wild sea around the Hebrides, on a recent visit, I heard an incredible song that moved me to tears. I only remembered the words 'restless one' and 'I find forgotten roots'. Well, it took many hours of research, then I found Dougie MacLean's DISTANT SON on his Riof Album. Simply wonderful.
Catherine Leuz

4.0 out of 5 stars Not one of Dougie's best, but still worth listening to, 11 Jun 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Riof (Audio CD)
When I first heard one of Dougie's albums, I knew I was hooked. He brings such emotion and feeling into these songs. I love Celtic (especially Scottish) music, and these CD's are my favorite. Listen for my favorite song on this CD, "Distant Son". It is so beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Braw Scottish music, 9 Jun 2013
This review is from: Riof (Audio CD)
Braw Scottish music, what can i add to make this up to the required number of words for a review?

5.0 out of 5 stars Music to touch the Soul, 21 Jan 2011
Mr. N. A. McKee "Elvis Preset" (POOLE, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Riof (Audio CD)
I think all artists and albums are defined by the "moment" and the "state" you are in when you first imprint them in your memory, and, potentially, your heart. "You Can Fall... but you must not lie down" were the right words at the right time for me... and a great testament to those points in one's life when music metamorphoses to something far more healing - a truly transformational moment. The message is simple, "You can fall, but you must not lie down..." Get up, dust yourself off, reset your vision, and buy this album...

5.0 out of 5 stars Music to listen to before you die., 1 April 2011
Jack Flowers (Morden England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Riof (Audio CD)
This is just an excellent CD, good music and vocals and a real sense of 'other worldliness' is conveyed through lyrics which paint pictures and tell stories that draw you in like a Dickens novel. The track 'Feel so near' makes me want to be sitting at that table with Doughie and his friends and listening to the stories 'Of things long gone, long gone!

Riof