on 20 November 2011
This game really exceeded expectations.

Wasn't expecting much longevity from this title, thought once the kids had walked round the park, met Mickey Mouse, and hugged a Disney Princess they'd be bored.

However, there's a lot more to this game than I expected.

Firstly navigating the park is a doddle.. You simply point where you want to go, and your avatar make his or her way through Disneyland. The only pity is that the kids couldn't use their standard XBox Avatars in the game, and had to create their own "Disney" avatar (which is not as varied as what is offered via the standard Avatar editor), that cost the game a star I'm afraid. However the theme park is beautifully recreated, even the adults in the room were impressed when the kids first stepped out onto Main Street, USA. If you have been to Disneyland you can probably find your way round without ever having to refer to the map. Sleeping Beauty's castle is where it should be, as is Buzz Lightyear's ride, etc..

Speaking of the map.. one advantage of the game is that you can be stood in Main Street and be instantly whizzed to anywhere in the park just by calling up the map.. What you wouldn't give for that sometimes at the real Disneyland!? And when I say calling up the map, I mean literally calling up the map as this game seems to do the best job of implementing voice commands that I've seen in a Kinect title. And saying "Return to park" or "Continue" is a lot easier than hovering over the buttons with your hand..

Throughout the park are Disney characters for you to meet, hug, collect autographs from and a large number of them will also give you quests to complete (i.e. you will have to find burgers to feed a hungry Stitch, or will need to help the aliens from Toy Story find their friends). Completing quests gives you points which you can spend in the stores, to get autograph books (which you'll need to collect signatures of the Disney characters), photograph albums and costumes for your Avatar.

In addition to all the quests and characters you can meet and help out, all of the "big" Disney rides have been converted into mini-games that can be played by one or two players. So if you enter "The Haunted Mansion" you'll take part in mini games which involves falling down the lift, and later "busting" ghosts using your torch. If you go to "Peter Pan's Flight" you'll be soaring over the streets of London on your way to Neverland, before eventually confronting Captain Hook in a sword fight. The nice thing about these mini games is you cannot fail - important so as not to frustrate the younger players, but players who do well will be rewarded with higher scores.

All in all, this is fun, varied, graphically impressive and has the "wow!" factor for the kids (and the young-at-heart) who will love the Disney setting and characters. It has enough content to not just be a five minute "flash in the pan" like many games designed with kids in mind, and is fun enough to keep players coming back for more.
55 comments|102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 January 2012
That's how I'd sum up this game; we got it for my sons Christmas along with Sesame Street. He is 4.

We though it might be something ok to keep him occupied, but we were more looking forward to Sesame Street.

We were immediately not impressed when we started exploring the park, the controls were not great; the tasks set by the characters were a little tedious and not much happened. Then we got to the first `ride' which is the matter horn. My son loved it. After that we discovered you can select the `rides' from the main menu and more open up eventually etc. Now he loves it and asks for it over Sesame Street most nights.

I don't think the adverts for it or anything does it justice, there are loads of different things to do and they are quite varied. Some of the games are better than others as you you'd expect, but there is generally a high quality and there are loads we still have not played yet.

The Nemo game especially impressed my son, when he had to swim away from Bruce the Shark, he actually thought Bruce was going to catch him and he was swimming away frantically LOL.

As said for something we had never really heard of or seen reviews of, we have had loads of fun with this.

For older kids that want completion of the main game, there is a lot of plodding about doing nothing much of anything, but it does unlock new `rides'. But it is fiddly, we were sent to get a ribbon from Mad Hatter, went into the Alice ride, could not find anything there, then we talked to Mad Hatter outside and that seemed right, but he wants his picture book filled and we are not sure where to go next. There was to begin with a little light that takes you to the correct places, but that seems to have gone haywire.

One grumble is when anyone walks by whilst my son is playing, (Its going to happen) it tries to sign them in, if he sits down for me to get a bit that he finds tricky it changes our characters completely, whereas a game like Sesame street understands adults will help Kids and lets you just switch over quickly. So niggle make it a 4 star and not a 5, but still a great game.

Overall though for me one of the most entertaining and varied games on the Kinect, would rank it alongside Kinect sports and slightly above Sesame street for children.

Role on more games like this.
on 21 November 2011
The adults in the family tested this game out for my daughters coming birthday and found it great fun even my eighteen year old son!! The cool graphics emerse you into the game with plenty of tasks and side games to keep you busy. Young and old kids will enjoy this game, great fun for all the family.
on 24 January 2012
I bought this game for my 4 year old son, despite it being 7+. He absolutely loves the game. He can play it very well, and understands most of it, apart from missions where you both have to steer a boat a certain way at the same time. The Kinect does not recognise his voice half of the time, but that is not really a fault with the game or the kinect, but most of the menu work can be done vocally, from selecting your mission chapters to buying from the store.

The game itself is very large. Disneyland is split into about 7-8 areas (Fantasyland, Critter Island, Frontierland etc), each of which you can explore by walking around and meeting characters and doing side quests. Each area also has it's own 'mission' games, for example, in Fantasyland, you have an option for Peter Pans Flight. In there is 4 parts, two are flying, one is sword fighting, and one is kind of a mix of the two.

The different games to play varies massively, from sword fighting, to skiing, to Dancing, and there is a massive amount of smaller stuff to do, like photographing 12 hidden Mickeys on each area. For value for money, this is absolutely fantastic.

Easily recommend this to anyone with kids 4+, I don't think younger kids will be able to grasp some of the stuff
on 20 January 2012
bought this kinect game for my 4 and 8 year old girls for Christmas and they love it! It took a little bit of "sussing out" but once you get used to it, the game provides hours of entertainment. My girls love being able to meet,hug and dance with the Disney characters and there are many more activities to be completed such as a flying adventure with Peter Pan and one based on the runaway mine train ride. Well worth the money- my girls love it!
on 18 December 2011
Kinect Disneyland Adventures is the best kinect game so far.... : ) my 2 nephews loved it and their parents as well : ), we played it for hours, we laughed a lot, amazing rides like Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan.... we love it, we played several times the same ride with the small ones, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT, so much fun... this is not a game only for the kids... : )
on 20 November 2011
If you have been to a Disney park then the attention to detail here will be impressive. A great looking game which offers plenty of mini games using Kinect. Some of course, are better than others but I have to say my 6year old son loves most of them, in particular flying over London in the Peter Pan mini-game. Its actually quite magical! Very well made and does a good job in using Kinect without there being too many frustrations! Very good. One of the top Kinect titles for sure.
on 28 November 2011
OH where to start? I haven't had this much fun with a game in a while. The Kinect is a brilliant platform for this game. You get to wander around the bright sunny perpetually clean Disneyland. You have a set of tasks to do, but it doesn't get too funny if you wander off to ride the rides or explore. There is a helpful golden line that always takes you back on task no matter where you go. My sons (7 and (9) and myself....(older than them) were able to all have a lovely time. You can take pictures, high five, dance, hug and get autographs from all the characters. The most handy feature is that if you stick your hands straight up in the air, you get a map of the whole place. It is very easy to navigate around as you put your hand in front of you and move it a little bit side to side. My only real complaint is that your inventory is meant to come up when you put your right hand out at an angle between your head and your shoulder. Sometimes your inventory comes up...but more than a few times you just have your darn hand out in the air for a really long time or you spin. The rides that you go on are little games where you have to steer a boat, dance or fly. They have cleverly put little breaks in between the motions which is great, especially in the flying game, as it's nice to rest your arms for a few moments. I couldn't really praise this game enough. Well worth the money and an excellent experience with high replay-ability. Thanks Disney!
on 10 March 2012
Adorable game, where you explore a surprisingly realistic and accurate recreation of the Disneyland park, and meet really realistic representations of the actual disney characters, and interact with them. Control of the play is via the Kinect, and is so intuitive that our 2 year-old can join in. Really nice play pace, and not patronising to the player either. in the game, you effectively go on rides, but they are rides that you control, rather than sit passively on. Plenty of puzzles keep it fun. Try this, and you will not be disappointed.
on 22 December 2011
I have brought this game for my 7yr old daughter for christmas, she is Disney mad but does tend to struggle with some kinect games such as Kinectanimals as they can prove to be a little long winded and complex.
I have set this game up for her so that as soon as she puts it in its ready to with the Avatar and save file, and I have to say I have throughly enjoyed setting it up..........
As a family we have visited Disneyland and the layout of the game is brilliant and realistic, the interactions with the Characters around the park are great, the games/ activities throughout are easy to play and your Avatar does not keep 'dying' or loosing lives which I find great as my daughter would loose interest really quickly if that were the case. Some of the games are really lovely and girley which I hope she will love, but also have a feeling that some of the games will be much loved by my 9 yr old son.
This is the best game we have brought for the kinect and I cannot wait for her to open it christmas day!!!

See one answered question