4.0 out of 5 stars Good selection, reasonable price
Published 8 months ago by Julie D

1.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic music, massacred by the mastering
This is awful. I'm not reviewing Paul Simon's music, that is what it is - the work of a genius - and doesn't need someone like me to describe it.

Published 18 months ago by P. Wood

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic music, massacred by the mastering, 26 Jun 2013
P. Wood (Ely, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Essential (Audio CD)

But the sound quality here. Oh dearie me. Paul Simon is something of an audiophile, and he and his engineer and producer took great pains, in most of their recordings, over a very long career to do the best that they possibly could. And then some cloth-eared imbeciles - and let's name and shame them, since they have put their names on the CD sleeve, they're Dan Hersch and Bill Inglot at Digiprep - have ruined it. Compressed and flattened within an inch of its life, over-eq'd, a travesty. A victim of the "loudness wars" between the record companies.

Avoid at all costs. If you love Paul Simon's music, this really is hard to listen to at anything other than "background noise" levels.

And, bizarrely, Sony have labelled this a "legacy" edition. What sort of legacy, for Paul Simon, is this supposed to be...?

4.0 out of 5 stars Good selection, reasonable price, 8 April 2014
Julie D (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Essential (Audio CD)
I have various Paul Simon albums on vinyl with, like many music collectors, nothing to play them on and bought this 2 CD set for a typically great Amazon price as I felt I'd gone too long without some of the tunes. Quite a number of my favourites appear here - though unfortunately not 'I Do It For Your Love' which is arguably my number one Paul Simon song - and there are predictably a few tracks from the excellent 'Graceland'. Some reviews suggested that the sound quality is not great; I accept this may well be the case but I'm no technician. It is possible that the way some of the tracks has been engineered was not the way Simon intended and if so, this is a great pity and really not on as every listener - technician or not - should have the opportunity to hear these songs as their author intended. To my ears, the sound is not nearly as bad as certain reviews may have suggested and will certainly do as the in-car entertainment that was the basis of my reason to purchase. New to Paul Simon? - I think better compilations exist. Try to track one down which the man himself has approved.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great songs, awful sound quality, 11 Jun 2013
Jimmy Quinn (Blackburn, Lancs, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Essential (Audio CD)
I have ripped this album to play it on my MP3 player. The sound quality is awful. It's not my ripping. I know this because I have ripped most of my collection of 200+ albums on it, all recorded perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant singer/songwriter, 20 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Essential (Audio CD)
What can I say that has not already been said about the talents of Mr Paul Simon, probably just to say if you are thinking of buying this cd it's a no brainer go on treat yourself to some wonderful songs

5.0 out of 5 stars Just excellent, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Essential (Audio CD)
I have been adding to my back catalogue and this was a CD I always meant to buy - it did not disappoint. SUPERB !!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good gift, 20 Feb 2014
Mrs. S. Fisher "Sarah Fish" (N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Essential (Audio CD)
A good collection with wide range of songs. Sound quality was fine despite other negative reviews. If you like Paul Simon then buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing., 17 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Essential (Audio CD)
A truly heroic collection of stunning tunes. So much music for your money. Endless tracks, something for everyone. Beautiful music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Singalong., 5 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Essential (Audio CD)
What a brilliant collection of songs.I've always liked Paul Simon,both as a solo artist and as part of the Simon and Garfunkel,duet.This will be a great addition to my CD collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars the essential paul simon, 23 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Essential (Audio CD)
I forgot how good paul simon is, I heard kodachrome on 8tracks and thought what a great song and bought this album on the strength of that, really pleased with other songs on cd

4.0 out of 5 stars Paul Simon still Great after all these years, 22 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Essential (Audio CD)
What great value for a huge amount of songs.OK not all of them are great but some are vert memorable.My own favourites are Mother and child reunion/Slip slidin away and the superb You can call me Al.Great value for money.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Essential
The Essential by Paul Simon (Audio CD - 2012)