on 16 August 2011
This is an excellent monitor for serious work.

I arrived here because I recently replaced my iMac: the new model has a glossy screen and I cannot work with the reflections. The iMac now stands to one side as my secondary monitor and the U2311H is my principal monitor.

The colour quality and range is excellent, and there are many built-in software options which made it astonishingly easy to match colours -- to lithographic and digital press output and to photographic prints. Also, it has sharpness control, which makes text far more precise and easier to read than with any other screen I've used.

There's a good range of positional adjustment, which makes a welcome improvement to my working posture, and it will even rotate for portrait format, which will be an asset sometimes.

There are many, far more expensive professional monitors and perhaps they're even better, but if you have to work within a budget then this one is streets ahead of the others you could buy. Have no hesitation in choosing it.

PS.

Some people say that a glossy screen makes colours "deeper" and more "vibrant", but working with two calibrated IPS screens side by side, I find the images are identical, except that one doesn't have reflections. I think it's just an illusion, as with glossy photographic prints compared to matt, and the proverbial glossy brochure.
on 6 February 2013
I needed a 2nd monitor for my work setup and it was between this and an LG 23", the LG being £40 cheaper.
I plumped for the LG - why pay more for a 2nd monitor, after all?
In addition, the LG had received a lot of positive reviews, both here and on HUKD.

Long story short, I returned the LG after a day - the picture was cold and unnatural, with blue and yellow tints.
I did spend a couple of hours trying to correct it, but no dice.

Amazon's great service had the LG out and the Dell in within a day.
My God, what a difference a day makes...this monitor was a pleasure to work with from initial setup.

You get a kettle power cable (no power brick) and USB/DVI/VGA cables, which is much better than most.
The only lead you don't get is a Displayport cable, but there is enough to get you fully set up straight away.
All surfaces have a powdered coating effect, non-slippery and fingerprint-free.

The stand is awesome - it clicks into place and is as solid as a rock.
The cable management is surprisingly effective considering it's basically a hole.
The range of motion is great and it really can be operated one-handed.
It also makes it a lot easier to connect the cables.

The USB ports are also surprisingly useful, helping keep cables uncluttered.
If you have a laptop it frees up ports and, with a desktop, there's less need to burrow under the desk.
I've hooked up several USB devices and they work without issue.

With most monitors, switching it on is when the work starts but not here.
The picture is very good out of the box - no need to roll up your sleeves and spend hours tinkering with it.
If you just can't help yourself, you'll find the OSD is a pleasure to work with.
It is simple and elegant - no indecipherable hieroglyphs.
As other reviewers have reported, the non-glare coating does impart some "graininess" when viewing text on a light background.
It isn't off-putting and is a boon when working in bright environments.

This monitor really highlights the "you get what you pay for" principle.
Along with everything else, it comes with Dell's 3-year warranty - The LG came with a 2-year warranty.
PC interaction is primarily through peripherals - a bad mouse or monitor can make using a good PC a chore.
All in all, though it cost £40 more, I feel like I got a lot more value from this.

Here's a link to a review where you can download calibrated colour profiles:
[...]
on 14 February 2013
Can only compare this with my previous monitor a 17 inch crt made by Iiyama. This was supurb, sharp, fast, and gorgeous colours. It was bulky however and heavy and consumed more power. The Dell did not disappoint. Great stand, sharp picture and good colour. Not as good as the crt but not far off it as far as picture quality and colour is concerned. A bit like comparing a Plasma screen to a LCD, the plasma I prefer.. but they dont do them or crt's in monitors . This does nicely. Easy set up, nice menu, and 4 usb sockets for accessories. Can't comment on the speakers as I use my Logitec Z5500 5.1 sound system! Not tried it for gaming yet.
on 26 September 2011
this is really nice and mabe the best stuff you can get for basic professional purpose.
deliverying is quick and safe
on 5 May 2014
I have been looking to get an IPS monitor for quite some time, after a lot of research I have decided to go for this monitor & definitely very please with the quality of this monitor
on 14 January 2016
These Dell monitors are excellent screens. The image is sharp and clear, and the cost is reasonable. Great product.
on 10 September 2012
Firstly, Don't buy this monitor!
I bought this monitor a year ago, and at first it was impressive. Sharp, good response times, and adaptable. However after a while the screen would take some time to wake up after being idle or when turned on. We're talking minutes with a black screen here not seconds. Investigated and Dell not only recognise the problem but don't make the model anymore. Could get round the problem by long winded process of taking out cables and holding power button to reset but thats not the point. Finally died about a week before the guarantee ran out. (That was lucky at least) Heres link to the Dell website page.

[...]

Got myself new BenQ XL2420T, Im a gamer with some design work and can't recommend it enough for those uses. Being released a year later its a much better monitor and only cost me about £30 more than what I paid for the Dell last year. So all worked out in the end.
Must say here, Fair Play to Amazon, they refunded me the money straight away. And no, they didn't pay me to say that! My first review just didn't want people to have same problems.