Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CDChange

We are told by BBC Nature that ‘Velociraptors were made famous in the film ‘Jurassic Park’, though they were a little less impressive in reality, standing not much taller than domestic turkeys’. How apt then that the Corporation have managed to pen a review for Kasabian’s new album without even hearing this tired offering.

Granted, ‘Switchblades Smiles’ has a real swagger and is quite thrilling in parts, but that’s enough of being positive because the rest of Velociraptor! sounds like a sort of prehistoric Brit pop that requires a vicious and crippling ice age to freeze it away somewhere. This is no more evident on the sub-Oasis ‘Man Of Simple Pleasures’ which makes Liam Gallagher sound like a great songwriter (that is not a compliment). Equally the lyrics on this album confirm suspicions that the standard of A Level English Literature is dramatically declining as evidenced by the horrible ‘Le Fée Verte’ where Tom Meighan manages to sing in his atonal whine the following words “Oh green fairy/ What you’ve done to me/There’s a nothing in the sky/Waiting to get high/I went up for some milk/Three days ago/Now they crowd me in the street /You knock me off my feet” . The language of Shakespeare and Dickens has truly seen better days and let’s not even get started on the monstrosity that is ‘Acid Turkish Bath’.

Some will argue that Kasabian are now the biggest band in the country and by virtue of the fact that they sell shed loads of records and pack out medium size stadiums then they must be great. Sadly, they are not and while they seemed to be making some forward progress with "West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum ", this new album finds them stuck in reverse gear producing music that you could file alongside Embrace or The Twang. Truly, if this is the best that the alleged premier British rock band can offer aren’t we all a bit concerned? According to one source on the internet, it is rumoured that this record is being talked up as next year's Mercury Prize Winner? After the high water mark set by P J Harvey’s stunning "Let England Shake" following that with Velociraptor! would really be a big pile of Brontosaurus droppings.
on 7 June 2014
Obviously Velociraptor! is the main part of this edition, but I already had it and Man of Simple Pleasures EP was the main reason to buy this item.
Absolutely recommended if you are a Kasabian fan, especially because of Narcotic Farm.
on 18 June 2014
This is a really good album and they performed it brilliantly live but I cant quite bring myself to give it five stars as there is a few fillers on it for me.

I would still happily buy it again
on 7 April 2014
'Velociraptor!' (2011) is the 4th studio album by the British band Kasabian and, on this evidence, seem to have cemented their place as one of the top rock acts of the 21st Century. Sergio Pizzorno is on great form in the songwriting department; highlights include the frenetic title track, 'Days Are Forgotten', 'Goodbye Kiss' and 'Re-Wired' [I really enjoyed the mix of guitar and keyboards here]. Stylistically, the material is quite varied with the 'sounds of the Kasbah' used cleverly as a recurring theme. Definitely worth buying at a competitive price.
on 19 September 2011
Kasabian return with album number 4 the weirdly titled "Velociraptor", so it should come as no surprise that this is one of Kasabian's most ambitious albums to date, not bad for a band that has seen lazy journalism call Kasabian, Oasis clones and labelled them lad rock. While Kasabian might share some of Oasis confidence and swagger their music has always been more closely linked to Primal Scream, Happy Mondays, The Stone Roses and even 70's glam rock. A quick look back at their 3 previous albums would show a band not scared to experiment with different styles and sounds.

The album opens with "Let's Roll Like We Used To" which sees songwriter Serge Pizzorno looking back at the early days before they made it big. It's a good start to the album. On "Days Are Forgotten" the track starts off with some big beats and a funky groove and has Tom cheekily singing "You say i'm old hat, a f***in' dirty rat, call me cliche, how right you are", which is a nice dig at their critics. There's the brilliance of the Beatles-esque sounding "La Fée Verte" which is sung by Pizzorno. Add that to Kraftwerk sounding "I Hear Voices" and it shows that Kasabian are willing to experiment in as many styles of music as possible.

The title track "Velociraptor!" is a big sounding stomp that has Tom spitting out his lyric's, not to many bands could pull off a song about a dinosaur with out sounding stupid. There's the epic "Acid Turkish Bath (Shelter from the Storm)" which at over 6 minutes long sounds like Kashmir era Led Zeppelin. The album features two big tracks that are made for playing live the brilliant "Re-Wired" with its big chorus and the beat driven "Switchblade Smiles" a song that won't full be appreciated until it's played live.

With the deluxe edition you get the full near 2 hour show from the O2 in Dublin, Ireland from November 2009 on region free DVD, it's mixed in full surround as well. The Deluxe Edition comes in a white box set and contains the lyrics of all the tracks as well as poster of the black artwork of the album. One drawback of the white is that it marks really easy so it's best to handle with care!

With every album kasabian seem to make another stride musically, and "Velociraptor!" is no exception. For a band that talk big and don't lack confidence it's important they back it up strong musically and with "Velociraptor!" they certainly do. This could be the album that takes Kasabian from the arenas to Stadium Headliners!
on 24 March 2013
Take this review with a pinch of salt as musical reviews are entirely personally. I wont bother with high brow musical terminology. Simply put I think this a great album. I wasnt the biggest fan of Kasabians earlier work but in my opinion this is their best. Plenty of good songs that you want/need to play loud.
on 7 February 2013
When I first bought the album, when it came out, my first thought was dissapointed. The only songs I enjoyed on it were days are forgotten & Switchable smiles.

I then listened to it again, and shortly after became my favorite Kasabian album!

Really recommend this product for Kasabian fans!
on 17 July 2013
Kasabian...what can I say? One of my all time favourite bands, and this was a corker! Switchblade Smiles definitely the stand out track, but the others are growers, after a few plays the whole album becomes a classic...great stuff fellas!
on 2 December 2013
Mediocre at some points, definetely not as good as Empire or West Pauper, some good little tracks though like "Re-Wired" and "Switchblade Smiles". Have not really listened to it since the first time as it did not impress
on 21 September 2011
After my first listen of Velociraptor!, I thought that it was only a little better than average. However, after a few more spins the album made a lot more sense to me, and I am pleased to confirm that it is far from being a disappointment.

The first three tracks are very strong (Let's Roll Like We Used To, Days Are Forgotten and Goodbye Kiss). Then comes La Fee Verte which marks a turning point in the album into some more Psychedelic and Experimental territory. La Fee Verte has some nice lyrics and wouldn't sound out of place on Kasabian's brilliant 3rd album WRPLA. Then comes Velociraptor! I'll be honest and admit that before I'd heard the album as a whole I was a little concerned about the, shall we say, "simplicity" of the lyrics in this track. However, I feel that it does the same job in the album as, for example "She's Electric" or "Digsy's Diner" do in both of Oasis' decent albums. Basically, when you hear the track Velociraptor! amongst the other tracks in the album it seems to fit, and make a lot more sense.

Acid Turkish Bath seems to have drawn a lot of comparisons to Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir". And while there are certain similarities, I think on the whole the tracks are very incomparable. While Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir" is driven by the songs main riff, Acid Turkish Bath is very much more about the songs lyrics and melody. It is however one of the high points of the album.

I Hear Voices is one of my least favourite tracks, however due to its stand-out riff I don't consider it bad at all. I feel it fits the album well, however it is just a little average. "Re-Wired" follows, and is one of the strongest tracks of the album. It has a great bass-line and a stomping verse, bridge and chorus.

Man of Simple Pleasures sounds a little close to one of Gorillaz most famous tracks to begin with (I can't name it as I don't listen to Gorillaz). However, it later turns into a fairly nice chorus. Possibly one of the weakest tracks, but still nice in parts and certainly isn't a track you'd want to 'skip'.

Switchblade Smiles splits opinion - but I personally think it is very good. It sounds different to most of the album, and will remind most of the stuff on their debut. The final track Neon Noon is the weakest track on the album. Perhaps I need a few more listens, but I don't really 'get it'. I think that if the final track of the album was as strong, as say, the final track of Empire then the album would receive an extra star in most people's review (including mine).

So there we have it, a track by track review of Velociraptor!

While it isn't quite as good as the brilliant WRPLA, it is still a definite purchase for anyone who enjoys Kasabian, or similar artists.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse