4.0 out of 5 stars 343 Take Control of your favorite Spartan
Published 20 months ago by Mr. Martyn Poole

3.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't bad, but fell below my Expectations *Slight Spoilers*
Now I know this game came out almost a year ago and I did get it in that time frame but I never got round to reviewing it until now.

So, Halo 4.
Published 15 months ago by jonnieiain

4.0 out of 5 stars 343 Take Control of your favorite Spartan, 20 Feb 2013
Mr. Martyn Poole "Rubix78" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Halo 4 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
With 343 Industries taking over the Halo Franchise from Bungie I had huge expectations for their first Halo game designed from scratch after the amazing job they did with the revamp of the first original game Halo Anniversary. Needless to say they never let me down, graphically the game looks stunning which is noticeable from the off, they have really put a huge effort into Halo 4 and it really shows that they are taking good care of the franchise.

If you are a fan of the series you will notice from the start that 343 have changed a few things; the guns have more realistic sound and weight to them, the grunts are now a lot more serious. At first I missed the old style Grunt which were colorful and stupid but now they sound much more serious and hold heavier guns & armor which lead to me shouting out "I can't believe I got killed by a Grunt!" or something close to that anyway, something I would hardly ever say in previous Halo games as they were a species that got in my way.

One of the only issues I had with the new Halo game was the introduction of the Prometheans or more to be precise the Promethean Knights who for me are just bullet sponges. Personally I would just shoot and shoot and shoot at them to find that have run out of ammo and if that's not bad enough there are watchers flying around healing or casting a shield over them. I know I am not the only person who dislikes them especially when playing on Legendary and you empty a clip into them to find they have teleported away from you. Along with new enemies you have new weapons, some are pretty decent like the Incineration Cannon which is brilliant when you have one in your procession however not so great when you sense the last few seconds of your Spartans life as you are caked red light of death. Other weapons like the Light Rifle, Scattershot are just revamps of current weapons and don't get me started about how useless a Pulse Grenade is, they are pointless! Yes they are!

This aside Halo 4 really does have some beautiful moments. The campaign is a pleasure to play, graphically stunning with a fantastic soundtrack that has some very memorable tunes. The Weapons sound and feel the way they should and the game feels much more serious than any of the previous in the series.
Also let me add that Co-Op is back and just as fun to play apart from two area's which forces you both to use a vehicle, if you don't keep up with your partner you are as good as dead!

Everything other than The Single Player Campaign forces you to have a Gold Xbox Live account, if you don't have one you simply can't play any of the extra features which I can understand a lot of peoples frustrations. Multiplayer I can look past as you are playing with others and this has also been a Gold privilege but the Spartan Ops should be allowed under the Silver membership as like the Campaign being a single player or Co-Op event.

This is the sole reason I have waited so long to publish my review as I never had a Gold account until recently and have only just been able to play the Spartan Ops missions and Multi Player.

The Spartan Ops missions are short story based games split over (currently) 10 Episodes which consist of 5 Chapters, most of which will have you traveling from point A-B whilst being heavily attacked from all angles or it will have you defending a point......................... whilst being heavily attacked from all angles. The levels are fun and short but hardly Imaginative in the slightest.

Multi Player is just like previous Halo games however I believe it's gone back to the days of Halo 2 online where it's actually fun to play. My only issues are slight and that's respawning next to enemies or in the middle of battles and the fact there are still people who cheat to their advantage glitching all over the place on purpose making them near impossible to hit.
In Conclusion Halo 4 is back on track, you get loads of value for your monies so long as you have a Gold account and it's everything a Halo fan should want and need until 5 comes out. I love a comment that was previously made on one of the reviews "343 have out bungie'd bungie" and that's a true saying right there. 343 obviously know what the fans want and I believe they can move the series forward without derailment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't bad, but fell below my Expectations *Slight Spoilers*, 30 July 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars

So, Halo 4.
This game had a lot of potential, I was looking forward to it like anyone else was and this was coming from a person that has played every single Halo game for years. My first thoughts when I played through the campaign were "Wow, this is epic!" But then my console crashed 3 levels before completing the campaign and it didn't save properly so I had to start the campaign all over again. That was when I realized how dull the campaign was. It wasn't extremely memorable and it was fairly short; there were hardly any large scale battles like there were in Halo 3, the new Prometheans felt so boring compared to the good old Covenant and you were fighting the Prometheans 3/4 of the time and it just didn't feel exciting to me. Plus there's the ending which I didn't like, I mean how on earth could Chief have survived that when he was right next to it? Explain that to me.

This campaign just didn't have any memorable levels such as those from Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3 or Halo Reach. The graphics were good, that's the positive but never judge a game by graphics.

There's more I didn't like about the campaign but I won't go into detail.

Now, the multiplayer!

I didn't like the new weapon drop pods that every player had access to, it made it easy for everyone to have really powerful weapons. I didn't even like what they did with the Armour abilities such as the jet pack which was epic in Reach but terrible Halo 4 because it could only be used for about 4 seconds compared to Halo Reach's 6 seconds which meant you couldn't get as high plus I think it actually took longer to recharge.

I could not get into the multiplayer at all, I just found it was not the same experience that it was in previous Halo games. It just didn't feel like Halo anymore. I shouldn't have to play multiplayer for a couple of hours to try and get into it and enjoy it. If I can't enjoy a game after playing multiplayer for only a couple of hours, then I shouldn't need to continue to play it to try to enjoy it because that would be wasting my time on something I do not enjoy.

And what happened to forge world? That was such an amazing feature of reach, why change it?!!!

Also, the menu interface just felt so unclear compared to Halo 3's and Reach's menu interface and I found it was unclear to navigate around it.

This didn't help for custom games plus custom games somehow didn't feel like it had as many options as in Halo Reach.

Only those who have played the previous Halo games will really fully understand what I am talking about, but I just simply could not get into this game and I haven't really played it since the month it was released and I don't want to because to me, it was not enjoyable as it's predecessors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Halo 4 - To Buy or Not to Buy ?, 6 Nov 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Halo 4 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Firstly could I say thank you to everyone who has been clicking like and finding my reviews helpful. I am really keen to add some good quality reviews to this Amazon.co.uk website. I felt that I had to do this as there have clearly been a lot of trolls posting dud biased reviews on various tech products.

Onto Halo 4, does anyone remember making their way through Call of Duty Modern Warfares firing range and thinking to themselves what does this mean? Well Halo 4 is not a rollercoaster / gun range Halo 4 is a real First Person Shooter / Adventure game.

The game is awesome. I was quite worried when I heard that 343 had taken over Halo development but alas I should have had more confidence in them. 343 have done a brilliant job. I won't spoil the story but this exposition into the Chief's Humanity and his relationship with Cortana (his A.I. sidekick make for a landmark adventure). We see the best of the Chief and are left wanting more.

Halo 4 takes the best bits from the trilogy and builds on them, set pieces, planet drops and battles are all epic and you will find that the guns in this Halo feel more powerful than ever. If it wasn't for the fact that this was the fourth game in the series you could argue that this the best Halo ever.

Halo 4's graphics are among some of the best. Guns look great, cut scenes look brilliant and are rendered with the in game engine but sadly some textures suffer when you see them close up equally you will find that many of the enemies disappear if they are at a draw distance which is further than the game can load/process. Nonetheless, the bright open environment are a great showcase for how beautiful Halo 4 is.

The Halo 4 combat engine feels like it truly evolved and the chief handles like a true war machine. You will find yourself hammering the Xbox pad until the very end taking down Prometheans and covenant with your rifle, butt of you gun and then a grenade. Never has the Master Chief felt this bad ass. The controls are perfect and the enemy AI will remind you of how dumbed down some of the recent shooters you've played are, play on Legendary and you will be punished the enemies do not want to die and don't want to run into your bullets you will be challenged and I strongly recommend that you prepare to die. These enemies have their own patterns and the new Promethean Knights feel very much at home and thankfully if you've read any of the Halo novels a lot is explained too.

Halo 4's multiplayer is one word. Halo 2,3 and 4 on steroids. You will love it, the new maps cater for both close-quarters and ranged combat, they've taken out the respawn timer and added ordinance drops. But these changes do make for a better game. My advice is to design a Spartan load up Ragnarok pick up a assault riffle and start blasting. Halo gamers will initially feel out of their depth but will soon feel right at home in Halo 4's multiplayer mode once they get their head around the new scoring system. There is also a new mode called Spartan Ops, its an episodic DLC themed game mode which is an episodic co-op based game mode. The level was set within a huge sandbox and had me killing enemies and pressing through to objectives, this was alot of fun and I cant wait for the next free episode.

Wrap-Up
Should you buy Halo 4?, yes. Halo 4 is new but at the same time its still the same Halo we know and love, the gameplay is brilliant and really marks the return of the first person shooter. The controls are slick and the multiplayer gameplay is as fun as ever. You will enjoy Halo 4.

+ The Master Chief is back
+ Fantastic Multiplayer
+ The story

- Close up textures
- Frame rate on system link drops considerably
- Limited replayability if you haven't got Xbox Live

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, 25 April 2014
This review is from: Halo 4 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
It pains me to say this about a game in a franchise I love, but I found the game nothing more than average. There were moments in all other Halo games which had my mouth agape in awe - sadly, I found no such moments like this in Halo 4.

The changes to the game are subtle, yet significant at the same time. Some I liked, others I didn't. The changes to the gun design and sound, for example, I thought was amazing. The sound of the guns makes them feel like they have some real impact for once, rather just weak pea-shooters. The sound of the assault rifle had that problem for a long time.

The story is well thought out, and as a long-standing halo fan, I can approve it. It carries an aura of Sci-Fi mystery to it that feels very halo-like. One thing I will say about the story that has irked me for some time, is the way that it tries so hard to make you feel
genuine affection for Cortana, when personally, I've never been phased by her. If anything, she just annoyed me in Halo 3, when she'd send you into slow motion for some reason so she could speak. The campaign, as well, seems to rehash the same old set-pieces that we've seen throughout the Halo franchise. For example, this isn't the first game when you start by desperately trying to defend/escape a doomed spacecraft, then proceed to explore the mystery of an alien planet. With things like these, I felt like I'd already seen it before, and so it had very little impact.

The menu interface, on the other hand, confuses me. It seems like they've tried to modernise it, yet it just seems like a massive leap backwards. It is laid out in a generally convoluted way, and it took me a long time to get used to it. Also, the multiplayer experience, or at least the vast majority of it, seems to be another attempt to modernise in line with games like CoD. But while it does this, it takes away the difference and feeling that was distinctively Halo. Gun recoil and load-out systems seem to have been furthered in this game, and for me at least, it doesn't feel like Halo.

But I did enjoy the game, and it did have the occasional moment of glory. I cannot say it is a bad game, even if it isn't brilliant either.

5.0 out of 5 stars More Halo shootin', 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: Halo 4 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Not much I can add to other reviews, as this is the next instalment in the Halo set.
However, a plus point for the Halo series is that it's not real people, and there's no blood, guts and gore, or language. This makes it a little more acceptable for the younger teen gamers...

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 hour campaign, mediocre multiplayer., 8 Sep 2014
M. Green - See all my reviews
This review is from: Halo 4 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
So this game was an impulse buy as it was cheap. However, I feel this price was a fair price for the game. 343 industries have made pretty much no effort with the campaign. It was completed in 3 hours. They seem to have tried to make up for the lacking campaign by making the enemies harder to kill. Which is just lazy if you ask me. One thing I can't get my head round however is how the crosshair is slightly lower than the centre of the screen, this makes it feel like you're looking up all the time.

However, they do seem to have made up for it a little by creating a multiplayer that will challenge COD, without becoming COD. But the multiplayer still has it's signature chaotic feel, that all other halos have had.

So to sum up, if you want to kill some time, and one of those "I'll play it when I've exhausted all my other games" game, then, yeah, it's ok. Hopefully halo 5 will be a bit longer and more un-bizarre storyline, but only time will tell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - best of the series, 5 July 2014
This review is from: Halo 4 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I'm not the biggest halo fan but this is one of only a few games I've actually completed this year. Brilliant artwork and handy co-op campaign system that more games should emulate.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a present for my boyfriend, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: Halo 4 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Very good he enjoyed this game... Was not as good for me as he became glued to the Xbox but was fun to watch even though I personally wasn't very good at fighting in this game but effects were good and story ok.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, 23 Jan 2014
Awesome I rate the age 12. It's very good get it now
From this shop . It also took. A long time to come but it's a good game

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: Halo 4 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
If you ever needed a reason to go for Xbox over PS, this is it. Entirely deserving of Game of the Year. I'm going to talk mostly about the campaign as I haven't yet tried all the co-op.

CAMPAIGN - This is one of a small number of games these days (alongside GTA V, Red Dead etc) which really shines in its campaign. The graphics are top notch - as close to true 1080p as you'll get, and since it's all 30fps (as opposed to COD's 60fps), frame rate drops are few and far between. The sound is also excellent, with gunplay made ever better by realistic (if you can say so...) shot sounds, and the soundtrack adds something as well. Unusually for FPS games, there is something of a narrative, and there are some of the most cinematic scenes I've ever seen in a FPS.

Shortly, Halo 4 puts COD, BF and other RPGs in their place.

Halo 4 (Xbox 360)
Halo 4 (Xbox 360) by Microsoft (Xbox 360)