5.0 out of 5 stars As Infectious As Ever
Published on 26 Jan 2012 by Steve Horsfall - Author / Writer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected
I've been listening to RHCP since mothers milk and enjoy it all even the changes from californication/by the way/SA where they took on the much more mainstream sound.

Published on 8 Sep 2011 by Haff

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 8 Sep 2011
This review is from: I'm With You (Audio CD)

My problem with this album is that for me there are no 'Hits' on it, there isnt a 'Cant Stop' or 'Zephyr Song', 'Dani California' or 'Desicration Smile'. I would sum the album up as a collection of those songs on the other albums that fill the space between the big hits, they are nice to listen to but dont 'get you going'.

Some are growing on me and I listen to them all except 'Dance dance dance' or whatever its called. But none of them give me the same feeling as the hits on previous albums.

Its all pretty slow as well, kind of a chill-out album, great for putting on while reading a book or just relaxing. But certainly doesnt touch the pace and excitement of SA.

If you are a fan then get it but dont expect an opening track like previous albums and dont expect the pace to pick up. I also recommend skipping that awful dance dance dance track, im removing it from my ipod so it doesnt accidently start playing, thats just my opinion please listen to it yourself first.. Then remove it.

5.0 out of 5 stars As Infectious As Ever, 26 Jan 2012
This review is from: I'm With You (Audio CD)
I have always loved the RHCPs - I just find their music infectious. It's been a while since the last album (Stadium Acadium), which was a mixed affair over 2 disks (some brilliant tracks & some not so good).I fully intended to buy `I'm With You' but did not rush to get it and when I finally did, put it on more in hope than expectation. For me though it hit the spot straight away - I love it, and a real return to form. The best album I have heard for a long time. Great musicians, nice harmonies and excellent production.

4.0 out of 5 stars The indestructible band lives on, 17 April 2012
This review is from: I'm With You (Audio CD)
A cracking album considering that John Frusciante (aka the not so secret weapon) is no longer in the band. Josh Klinghoffer has step into this man's shoes admirably to create the distinctive 'Funk/Punk' sound we all know and love whilst stamping his own avant-garde mark on the band dynamic. 'Look Around' and 'Ethiopia' are my personal recommendations for anyone wanting to get a flavour of the sound before committing to the whole album!

2.0 out of 5 stars So badly missing Frusciante, 28 July 2014
Fin Mckiernan - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'm With You (Audio CD)
Worst album they've ever produced, hands down. 'One Hot Minute' was far better and thats saying something, Flea wrote most of that himself on instruments he wasn't familiar with. Its not one star, there are a few tracks which grow on you and you have to take into account its A) the longest time ever between albums and B) they've had a massive change to the dynamic. That being said they claimed they wrote 60-70 songs for it, and these were the best 14?! With that pool of talent and that much time to write (each would have brought a lot to the table) there's no excuse.

Now for the biggest thing. I have never heard an album where a band is so badly missing their guitarist. Its just so immediately apparent, its quite shocking. Everything is so rhythm driven, Chad and Flea are carrying Josh throughout every song, its like their willing him to open up and explode with an amazing guitar riff or solo but it never materialises. When you hear they actively toned down the guitar levels to bring the bass and drums to the forefront it says it all. Thats never happened on any Chili Peppers record. I hope its just down to his confidence and the shoes he has to fill and that he will grow in time, he's a top guitarist no doubt BUT there's a huge difference between being a good guitarist and being able to write.

For me when Frusciante left it was unrecoverable, unless he returns for a 3rd time or Josh seriously steps up their done.

2.0 out of 5 stars What to say?, 30 Mar 2014
S. Young (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'm With You (Audio CD)
Too inconsistent, too safe, where has the funk gone? I wanted to like this, but all the Chili Peppers do these days is make radio friendly music. The new guitarist is kind of faceless, he just plays along in the background, he doesn't have his own style and doesn't play any solos! Just not good enough. They would have been smarter getting Dave Navarro back, but since they slagged him off so much and the album they made together, it isn't possible. A shame. I like the artwork and a couple of the tracks are ok but that's it really.

4.0 out of 5 stars CHILI PEPPERS SHOW THERE IS LIFE AFTER JOHN FRUSCIANTE'S DEPARTURE, 29 Aug 2011
This review is from: I'm With You (Audio CD)
When John Frusciante quietly left the Chili Peppers in early 2010 many fans feared the worst for the band after all the last time they recorded an album without him it was 1995's poorly received(although underrated) "One Hot Minute" which featured Jane's Addiction's Dave Navarro on guitar, most people know that Navarro and Frusciante have varying styles and it showed on the album that was probably more experimental and heavy than anything the Chili Peppers had done to that point. So rather go the same route for album number 10 the chili peppers brought in Josh Klinghoeffer who just happened to have played with the band live in 2007 contributing keyboards, backing vocals and guitar. He also played regularly with John Frusciante on Frusciante's many solo records. So he is more familiar with the Chili Peppers sound and style than someone from the outside.

On "I'm With You" the Red Hot Chili Peppers sound like a band who are ready to tackle many different styles when compared with 2006's double album "Stadium Arcadium" which would have been better as a single and suffered from sounding samey at times throughout it's two hour running time. The album opens with "Monarchy of Roses" which starts with distorted guitars and vocals before entering familiar Chili Pepper territory. It's almost a throwback to "Warped" that opened "One Hot Minute". With Frusciante's departure a lot was expected of bassist Flea to step up and make a big contribution, it's safe to say he doesn't disappoint as he and drummer Chad Smith show why they are one of the best rhythm sections around they hold the song "Factory Of Faith" together brilliantly. As well as delivering a nice chunk of funk on tracks "Ethiopia", "Even You Brutus?" and the brilliant album closer "Dance, Dance, Dance".

There's a nice nod to former co-biographer Brendan Mullen on "Brendan's Death Song". "Goodbye Hooray" is vintage Chili Peppers and features some good playing from Klinghoeffer who also adds back ground vocals to song "Did I Let You Know", it's a track that really shows off his talents. First single "The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie" has a nice dance feel to it. Of course not everything works "Annie Wants A Baby" never really does anything and maybe at 14 tracks that album could have been scaled back to 12, but these are only small gripes. As always Rick Rubin provides production on the album, he has produced every Chili Peppers album since 1991's "Blood Sugar Sex Magik".

Whilst nobody can really replace John Frusciante or fill his guitar playing shoes, Josh Klinghoffer does a good job on "I'm With You" and shows he can carry the role, and while at times his playing might seem a bit reserved it's only probably because the weight of expectation on his shoulders and this album will probably serve as a gentle introduction for him after all he is guitarist number eight! for the Chili Peppers. It's been 5 long years since "Stadium Arcadium" so it's good to have the Chili Peppers back and there's a lot of life left in them yet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chili's going as strong as ever!, 13 Jun 2012
This review is from: I'm With You (Audio CD)
A great all round album, they've really gone back to their roots in this album. Those funky bass guitar riffs and Anthony's rhythmic vocals. Josh's Guitaring really adds a new and exciting vibe to the album and the band in general, which is only pushing them forwards. Absolutely brill, definitely worth buying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 22 Sep 2011
J. Rex - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'm With You (Audio CD)
Old school Chilli's with a new school twist and well worth buying and listening to if you're already a fan or looking to get into the band!

4.0 out of 5 stars Anthony Kiedis, 30 Jan 2013
This review is from: I'm With You (MP3 Download)
I was not looking forward to this album when it came out. They lost John and got some annoying kid to join instead, and this album has a distinctly different sound because of it. But once you actually listen to it the songs are pretty damn good. Brendan's Death Song is one of my favourite RHCP songs ever. And Anthony still has an incredible voice so it's hard not to love.

5.0 out of 5 stars good album, 30 May 2013
This review is from: I'm With You (Audio CD)
I am a big chili peppers fan but I hadn't bought this album when it first came out like I usually would. I liked their first release but wasn't amazed by it so didn't rush out to buy the album. Since buying it I have listened to it alot, haven't skipped any tracks either. I really like it and if your a fan of theirs you won't be disappointed.

I'm With You
I'm With You by Red Hot Chili Peppers (Audio CD - 2011)