on 22 January 2009
This is a very well written story. The author manages to convey the thoughts and views of each of the main characters very well. The realism of the young British girl - swept away by the GI's and all they portrayed is excellent, and probably fits very well into what life was like during the dangerous war years. Wanting to escape from boring old England to that far off land of 'milk and honey' - to the land of plenty after years of rationing. Together with her sister, who 'grows up' within her marriage to a much older man. Both main characters (sisters) have their ups and downs with their various menfolk during the course of the story. If there is one criticism .... the tale ends rather abruptly - which is a shame - or maybe there is a further chapter .... A good read - which is difficult to put down.
on 19 March 2014
A good story of WW2. A few inconsistantcies in timescale - Bette discovering she is pregnant and Chad being shipped home with injuries and a coma, & Bette turning up at his home not showing she is expecting! I'm not a feminist but how downtrodden some of the women were! How Sara put up with that insufferable husband Hugh I will never know, what an awful man. Chad's family were no better but it all ended happily even if the ending seemed a bit rushed, would have been nice to have had another couple of chapters to explore what happened next.
on 14 November 2013
This story is typical of its era, it has love with its disappointments and it's dreamy hopes, it has Old school morals (made your bed lie on it) it has all the human elements including betrayal, deceit,surprising characters that are not who you thought they were, it's paints a vivid picture of the yanks arriving in a small town and sweeping all the girls off their feet and irritating all the males with their larger than life confidence, it's fun, a pleasant read.
on 22 February 2015
Sister Sara and Bette have grown up in a small Cornish village but when US Marines arrives their lives will never be the same For Bette, she finds herself going to America as a war bride. Sara finds herself falling in love with a man who married to another woman.
"For All Our Tomorrows" by Freda Lightfoot was an okay book. At times the storyline was a little slow. Overall "For All Our Tomorrows" was okay book, but not a keeper.
on 28 April 2013
I gave this five stars because I could not put it down. The character Hugh was hateful and controlling. This is the fourth book I have read by this author and look forward to reading more.
on 6 January 2014
This was so good from the start but got more interesting as the story line developed i didnt want it to end.
I would love another book following the lives of those involved in the story line.
Its going to be hard to find another so interesting as this one.. Please Freda write a follow up book..
I kept my kindle under my pillow & when i woke i read a few chapters...
Every book i have read of Freda,s are good, I am hooked on her storylines..
on 6 December 2013
Light reading. I would recommend it for women. Would read more from this author and look forward to another book.
on 18 March 2013
tHIS BOOK IS WELL WRITTEN BY A FAVORITE AUTHOR AND THE STORY IS WELL WRITTEN AND WELL WORTH A READ
on 7 July 2015
I have only given this 1 star not because of the book which l really enjoyed but because l had already purchased this kindle book some months ago and did not receive the usual reminder of this. They have just changed the cover and put it out again. Buyer beware.
on 5 February 2016
I really loved this book. The story starts in Fowey in Cornwall during the Second World War when the American G.I's arrive. Sara and her sister, Bette, are there with the other locals to greet them. Sara is married to Hugh Marrack, who runs the local pub and they have two children. The storyline mainly follows these two characters and there are exciting developments in the storyline. I felt this book was excellently written and I became emotionally involved with Sara and Bette. This was the first book I have read by this author and I will be reading many more. Thank you, Freda Lightfoot.