5.0 out of 5 stars Very good!
This is a good quality item for a novice like me.

I have got a few funny readings from it. I discovered that a nearby drill was causing problems, even though it wasn't actively being used. However once I figured what was happening, it worked perfectly from that point on.

I particularly like the hole that lets you mark the spot to drill. Other...
Published on 11 Mar 2012 by Grotty

2.0 out of 5 stars Next to useless if you want to detect stud work
Published 15 months ago by M. Potter

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good!, 11 Mar 2012
This review is from: Bosch PMD 10 Multi Detector (DIY & Tools)
This is a good quality item for a novice like me.

I particularly like the hole that lets you mark the spot to drill. Other products I've used in the past, I've been left wondering where exactly the sensor is looking.

One thing though; make sure you choose the correct mode. There's one mode that detects anything, which was giving me a lot of false warnings. I only needed to avoid pipes and wires. Again, once I figured out what was going wrong, it was a quick fix.

2.0 out of 5 stars Next to useless if you want to detect stud work, 11 Sep 2013
M. Potter (Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Bosch PMD 10 Multi Detector (DIY & Tools)
Beware if you want to detect stud work with this - I have a cheap and cheerful pipe & mains wire detector (cost about £10) that has worked flawlessly for years but wanted something to detect studwork. This seemed to fit the bill and despite the one or two negative reviews I took the plunge. Sadly, I've never managed to get it to work reliably in the non-metal setting - having just done some work in my bathroom (involving replacing sections of plasterboard) I know where one or two studs are, but with the new plasterboard and tiles up this completely fails to detect them. So if you want this to detect stud-work I wouldn't bother. And if you only need something for pipes and wiring then you can get others that are just as effective for a fraction of the cost. I wouldn't waste your money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fairly Good, 31 Oct 2013
This review is from: Bosch PMD 10 Multi Detector (DIY & Tools)
I am only an amature. I had borrowed a cheaper device (approx 1/4 the price) which sort of worked but even with multiple scans (wipes) over the area of interest it was very difficult to know accurately enough for me where it was safe to drill. The search was for electrical wires, some covered with protective steel half trunking / guard. I got the Bosch PMD 10 thinking I had better get a good device and since in the future the ability to detect battens or beams behing ceiling plasterboard was likely to be useful. The Bosch machine works much better than the cheap device I tried on my home electrical job. A quick test showed it also seemed to detect beams behing plasterboard reasonably well. To detect any material of interest one does have to use the machine intelligently and not expect magic. I have some understanding of the way the device works. I am a professional physicist and electrical engineer. It is not simple to design a machine to accurately make the detections of interest. A good too to have in ones tool box, even if you don't use it very often. What is the cost of popping an electrical cable or pipe, not to mention the resulting mess and inconvenience to put things right?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bit of kit., 14 Nov 2013
This review is from: Bosch PMD 10 Multi Detector (DIY & Tools)
Detects cables, studs and floor joists, no problems. However a bit of common sense is needed when using detectors like this as you need to be aware that material densities are being scanned and may give you a different result that you expect. For instance, if you have a foil backed plasterboard, it will detect metal everywhere, which is correct as metal foil is dense. In my case I have used foil coated insulation board between studs, therefore the scanner reported metal and flashed red, until it reached a stud when its metal reading reduced which enabled me to detect the studs correctly. In my opinion the bad reviews are from people who do not understand how this is working.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fake detections, 30 Oct 2013
This review is from: Bosch PMD 10 Multi Detector (DIY & Tools)
This tool was detecting cables and metal all around the walls of my house. If I were to do as adviced, I shouldn't drill practically anywhere. Since it was obviously giving false detections, I ignored the tool, drilled in many points that the tool told me not to, and nothing happened. So, If you want to have a good excuse for not drilling at home, this is the tool for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all, 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: Bosch PMD 10 Multi Detector (DIY & Tools)
I have bought this item not for professional, but for home use. To be sure that I won't hit any hidden pipes and wires when hanging stuff on my drywall walls.

Decided to purchase it despite quite dis-satisfactory reviews because of Amazons' lightning deal.

I can not confirm problems other people are mentioning here, as it seems to be working quite well for me. Although, it had been giving strange results right after I had turned it on and attempted to use it. But re-calibration (takes ~20 seconds, described in manual) resolved this problem.

One negative thing I can note is that this device seems to be rather paranoid about live wires (and I can see a reason in such behavior), as it starts sending "live wire" alert and buzz as soon as given wire approaches about 5cm radius around casing. But the manual does list an algorithm one has to follow to pinpoint exact location of a wire (successive swipes on the "hot spot") using which I had been able to know wires' position with about 1-2 cm precision what is more than enough for my limited needs as not being a professional builder or electricial I do not want to test my luck by sticking in screws that close anyway.

So, bottom line is that I do recommend this device for non-professional use (professionals will probably find that it is not sturdy enough to last for more than five years of constant use thus will be unsatisfied with it).

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good detector, but the user manual sucks..., 6 Feb 2013
This review is from: Bosch PMD 10 Multi Detector (DIY & Tools)
OK, the user manual is garbage, 16 European languages, icons and numbers for usage instructions - this could be a far better product if Bosch spent a few extra pennies on the user manual...

The detector is very sensitive and I can drill easily within 10mm of a cable with confidence. The radar display is very good for homing in on the metal and the electrical cable indicator will allow the differentiation between copper pipes, copper wires and steel screws/nails/beams et.c.

The poor contrast of the display is the worst issue for me, hold the unit above your head and the display is unreadable, perhaps v.2.0 could use a screen with a better viewing angle...

I have used other detectors in the past that have been erratic and give you a wing and a prayer level of confidence, but this unit outshines all of those.

You'll have to fill in the blanks in the user manual to get the best out of the product :(

4.0 out of 5 stars can be oversensitive., 9 Dec 2011
This review is from: Bosch PMD 10 Multi Detector (DIY & Tools)
Best of its type that I have used, can be too sensitive at times and can give a false reading of live cable if not absolutely parallel to wall. If used with common sense then there is a good chance that you will miss pipes and cables.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bosch PMD 10 Multi Detector, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: Bosch PMD 10 Multi Detector (DIY & Tools)
I am extremely pleased with the detector. It gives pin-point accuracy for locating hidden wires; pipes and wood battens within walls. Very comfortable to handle, and comes with a carrier case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tool, 21 Sep 2013
This review is from: Bosch PMD 10 Multi Detector (DIY & Tools)
This has proved to be an extremely useful tool in our new home. It was in perfect condition and was delivered quickly and soon became my husband's best new toy!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›