5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Fantastic
When I first read this I was faced with a dilemma; It is such a page turner that I couldn't read fast enough and yet at the same time I did not want it to finish.
You become part of the story and part of the journey and you feel so connected to the characters as their journey unfold. Simply fantastic.
Published on 20 Feb. 2010 by J

3.0 out of 5 stars A rewarding read
Tuffnel' s imagination is so strong that you are easily carried along by the powerful current of her mind, and you experience each character's journey as if it were your own. Thoroughly original premise and rewarding ending(s). A strange and wonderful book.

"go now and seek your wellspring"
Published 21 months ago by Kindle Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Fantastic, 20 Feb. 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Strangers and Pilgrims, 23 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Strangers & Pilgrims (Paperback)
I had the privilege of reading this book when it first became available - I loved it. So why haven't I written a review before? Well, I offer these reasons: I'm not the sort to push myself forward... I like to think books stand on their own (- but that shows a remarkable naivete regarding the book industry!) And as a voracious reader, ex-English teacher and bibliophile of excessive proportion I have met many good books worthy of note over the years. However, having read this first offering from Vivienne Tuffnell I also felt: how could I possibly do this book justice? I am no wordsmith, unlike the author. If I was to say the characters are good, that would be to underplay the most fascinating group of full-rounded and believably crafted characters I had come across in along time - the sort that stay with you long after you have put the book down, that wander with you through your daily chores, that you catch yourself pondering about as you drive to work. The basic premise of these six people all with their broken hearts coming to find a solution, may not in such bald terms seem immediately enthralling, but just you wait until they grab your own heart-strings: they don't let go! And as other reviewers have said, the compulsion to read on is a forceful one: I too had a sleepless night and blurred eyes in the morning (as witnesses can testify!) Over and above these excellent elements of a good read: good plot, good characters, etc is the sheer skill of the writing: the exciting juxtaposition of concepts and ideas, the relevant vocabulary choices and ultimately the delicate manner in which you are led yourself to the peace of the 'Wellspring', make you yearn for more as you close the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars ., 21 Jun. 2010
Mark E. Myers "Mark" (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Strangers & Pilgrims (Paperback)
It's hard to say what I liked most. There are wonderful transitions between storylines, a gripping plot that never gets bogged down, and surprise endings. The characters are real and personal without extra baggage. The brief description of characters on the back is a great bonus for those easily distracted or with limited time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing I've read in years, 11 Mar. 2010
Fiona Mcgregor (Alva, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Strangers & Pilgrims (Paperback)
I just finished Strangers and Pilgrims. I am just blown away. It is WONDERFUL. It was so good, I was rationing myself to just a chapter at a time so I wouldn't finish it too quickly. It was strange.........the first half was so good, I was thinking, "Nah, she's going to blow it now; she can't keep this up; she's never going to tie all this together." But she did. Best thing I've read in years. When do we get the next one?

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching, Heartwarming and so Surprising, 9 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Strangers & Pilgrims (Paperback)
So I bought the book on the recommendation of a lovely lady on the Twittersphere. It took me three days to go for it: I'm so sick of books. Lately I've only persisted with the truly awful ones just to make sure that they were as bad as I thought they would be. And they were.

'Strangers and Pilgrims' lay on the bedside table waving at me for another week. Oh heck, here we go again, I thought. Surely, it can't be any good if it's an indie-self-published-thingy, I said to myself? I'm not a woman in tune with all that New-Agey-Inner-Goddess-Within-type stuff either, so why do I buy these things?

The blurb on the back was intriguing and so was the device that brought the characters together. My ageing eyes protested at the size of the print but I started anyway and ....gulp!.... be still my beating heart. It was 4am when I finished and I had to get up and walk around the garden to calm myself. It touched me, moved me in unexpected places; it made me smile and I was left joyful. So there are a few typos - so what? I found them not only endearing but useful. The prose was just so easy on the heart, the dialogue flowed effortlessly and the experience was so sensuous that I`m convinced that a little gremlin planted them typos to make me pause and not race through it.

There was a bit that I hadn't seen coming (and I'm the smug know-it-all who can solve the crime in 12 pages, give or take 100) so I re-read the book in a different order, following each character. It was time to get up and I'm still thinking about the pilgrims and how I missed the clues. Game, set and match to Vivienne Tuffnell for her truly exceptional gifts.

I lost something too: my cynicism around mystical, magical, spiritual, reflective - what's the word, someone? - novel. Gone is my prejudice against the indie author-publisher. I'm going to get me a Kindle and go hunting for the rest of them, wherever they are. I think I like books again, too, so thanks V.T. - you're an angel.

5.0 out of 5 stars A definite must-read!, 4 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Strangers & Pilgrims (Paperback)
I bought this book several months ago but hadn't got around to reading it. However, once I picked it up I couldn't put it down!! Vivienne has quite a unique narrative style which I found very refreshing. Her descriptions of the characters' surroundings are so detailed, it's as if you are there with them too.You literally experience what each character is going through and I found myself empathising with them all and their suffering. Without giving the game away there is an unexpected twist at the end of the story too! I would love to know what happens to the characters after their voyage of discovery.......

5.0 out of 5 stars A rewarding journey, with sublime descriptive prose, 18 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Strangers and Pilgrims (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book very much. I was swept into the stories of each character, and the thing I liked most about each one was their very humanity. Flawed they may be, but the writer painted each person with such compassion that their flaws did not define them - we saw beyond their guilt, their ego, their jealousy, their loneliness and despair. Six individuals on a uniquely modern-day pilgrimage for acceptance, and isn't that what we are all searching for? Acceptance of ourselves as we really are, without the cloaks we sometimes feel pressured to wear or the unhealthy habits we may acquire to be acceptable to others.
Exquisite characterisation combined with some truly sublime descriptive prose made this as rewarding a journey for me, reading, as it was for the six pilgrims whose journey I shared. It touched me at a deep level - I even met the Warden in a dream one night - make of that what you may, but it was good.

5.0 out of 5 stars A remarkably assured novel., 6 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Strangers and Pilgrims (Kindle Edition)
Strangers and Pilgrims isn't my usual reading choice. I came across it by accident, yet after reading the book I'm wondering how many other books are lurking out there which have the power to move me to such admiration. I've never met the author, but her ability to create a framework on which to set the different strands of such a complex novel is quite remarkable.
The structure of the book, for me at least, left the most impression. A great deal of thought went into the planning of the different stories and the writer's skill at bringing the whole entity together has to be applauded. Vivienne Tuffnell uses language beautifully and keeps the reader involved at every stage. As a reader, one can't hope for more. I've rarely read a novel that works as well as this. I need to read more from this author and am delighted to see I'll have the opportunity to do just that. Strongly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars From friend to fan, 26 Jan. 2012
Dr. Jean B. Raffa "author and seeker" (Maitland, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Strangers and Pilgrims (Kindle Edition)
Six wounded strangers, each with a unique story of broken relationships and lost dreams, are brought together by a common need for the healing waters of a mysterious Wellspring. Unlike their 14th century forebears who tell their stories on the road to Canterbury for the prize of a free meal, these pilgrims seek something far more vital: a reason to keep living. What they discover about each other, and most importantly, themselves, makes for a compelling, page-turning read. I was very drawn to Tuffnell's characters who are as real, complex and confused as you and me, and I have a passion for the inner journey to self-knowledge that was the essence of their quest. But it is her extraordinary sensitivity to the mysterious beauty of the world around her and her passion for the legends, traditions and sacred spaces of her beloved England that took me from interested internet friend to ardent fan. I couldn't recommend this book more highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this, it'll make you feel good!, 20 Sept. 2011
C. Duncan - See all my reviews
This review is from: Strangers and Pilgrims (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book! The wonderful, unusual narrative style hooked me immediately - I could tell straight away it was going to be good! The characters are all well drawn and completely believable, their painful stories plucked from them reluctantly and tantalisingly slowly. If you're not sure, get the sample now and I'm sure you'll be intrigued to buy and read more!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›