4.0 out of 5 stars great little dvd player

2.0 out of 5 stars Purchase in haste
Published 23 months ago by Alison Sears

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Purchase in haste, 16 Jan 2013
I bought this make and model just before Christmas as my old Philips Pet 716 had given up the ghost. What a mistake - bad sound, very dark picture (even at its brightest) and it sticks at the same place on every disc I tried. I have always bought Philips DVD players and have never been proved wrong, until now. This machine was so bad that it has permanently damaged a DVD triple film set given to me for Christmas. On the plus side this is the first time I have had to return an item to Amazon and their process is very easy and straight forward. All that remains now is to find a replacement unit - I will not be rushing the decision this time.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a nice little DVD player, but a few design flaws dent it's appeal - our Sony DVPFX780 7" seems better value, 24 Feb 2013
Keith_Joseph (West Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Philips PD7030/05 7-inch Portable DVD Player with Car Adapter included (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This stylish DVD player comes without a remote control, which is fine as normally the player is generally viewed from a few feet away and within easy reach (you'll only miss the remote if you regularly couple this player to an external TV and view from the other side of the room or have a complex rear car seat fitting that blocks access). So all the required controls are on the top of the player, and they are all light but positive click buttons that work well. The player has an inbuilt battery that lasts up to 3 hours - more than enough for one feature film. It can also run on the mains via its 120cm lead 13A UK plug transformer or the 12v car 180cm cable adaptor - ours came direct from Amazon and had the UK 13A plug mains adaptor not the European Europlug version, so don't accept the latter. One major flaw with running on external power is that the player can't recharge it's internal battery when playing DVDs - so you have to switch off the DVD player and connect it to a power supply to recharge its battery, making it unusable while recharging (unlike just about every other battery powered media device I own).

Another literally glaring design fault is that the front green LED is so incredibly bright it can interfere with watching the movie - so you have to get some black tape and cover that up ASAP. The red recharge LED is also megabright, but you can't watch DVDs when that is on anyway. And another problem with the Philips design is that the 7" widescreen 480 x 234 pixel LCD screen itself isn't the best in show, it's a bit grainy, dull & insipid, and lacking brightness and contrast despite both being adjustable. All these negatives are a real shame as it's a great looking little player and does the business of playing DVDs well, be they commercial DVD films or our DVD-R videos. We don't tend to use the USB socket but that can replay Divx, MPEG4 video, MP3 audio or jpg photos via a low profile Micro USB Flash Drive (not supplied) or a camera. The twin stereo speaker sound is quite good, but mostly we use it with headphones via the single 3.5mm 3-connector stereo socket (the battery lasts longer on headphones).

There's also a 3.5mm TV out socket for passing the video and sound to an external TV, but meanly no adaptor cable is supplied (an AV cable from our old DVD player worked with it, but another identical looking one from a camera didn't, so good luck with finding the right one as Philips don't sell it). The players controls aren't completely ergonomically designed for casual use by others as there's no 'Setup' button for screen adjustment (it's hidden as a three lines symbol) and the DVD lid release slider is tricky to find and use on the left side, but otherwise the player is very easy to control.

Although this players negative aspects aren't deal breakers, the DVD player is nice to use and it looks great once the blinding Green LED is blotted out, the fact remains that our almost identical Sony DVPFX780 7-inch Screen black Portable DVD Player doesn't have any of these design faults and it's a similar price. The Sony 7" has a far more vivid colour LCD screen, can recharge it's internal battery while playing DVDs, it's red/green LEDs are bright enough to see without being blinding, it comes with a TV AV adaptor cable, it has even better sound, and it's internal battery lasts 4 hours not 3. The Sony's mains/12v power adapters also look better made, although the players themselves seem well built to a similar standard.

So for us it's a bit of a no-brainer, as despite the fact that this good looking Philips model can do the business of playing DVDs well, the Sony DVPFX780 7-inch is the better buy as its almost identical design and features are better implemented. This Philips would have to be around £15 cheaper than the Sony to make up the lost ground, and generally it isn't. So sadly we rate this Philips PD7030 3.5* or C+ for effort - when he got it, my 6 year old nephew still thought this Philip's player was great and even quite liked the bright LEDs, so it's no lemon, it's just that other 7" players may offer more for the money. Unlike the Sony, the Philips can remember the position in the DVD movie when switched off and return to it on restart, and although this Philips player has the possibility of becoming region free, it appears the Sony is strictly UK/Europe Region 2 only. The Philips player has a one year warranty, and I have to say the Philips return service was great when our TV Blu-ray player went phut under warranty. This little DVD player is 19.5 cm(W) x 3.75 cm(H) x 15.4 cm(D) and weighs 0.624 kg. I've posted a few photos of this Philips and our Sony 7" player under customer images.

4.0 out of 5 stars great little dvd player, 10 July 2013
Bought this for a trip abroad as my other player didn't appreciate being stood on. I bought it elsewhere (£65) and have only tried it with DVDs - playback quality is good and there's a handy subtitles button if you're watching a foreign film. Sound quality is probably what you'd expect for the price, i.e. not particularly good, bit tinny and not much definition on the bass, however plug in a portable speaker (I used a B-tube I've had for a few years) and you're sorted. I'd say the battery time for watching a dvd is closer to 2.5 hours rather than the three claimed.
It wasn't, as some reviewers note, multi-region straight out of the box however a quick Google found the right code to type in and multi-region was no problem.
It drops a star as it only charges when switched off i.e. if you're watching a DVD on mains power, none of that is powering up the battery; the green 'on' neon is ignorable but unnecessarily dazzling; sound quality could be better; ideally it would come with a carry bag rather than that being an extra cost - all of these are pretty minor irritations and I'm very happy with the price I paid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly whats needed, 28 Mar 2013
Kermit (Doncaster) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Great little portable DVD player.

My partner works nights and takes this with her to use during quiet times to watch films and has been very happy with its performance. The sound and picture are clear and the battery life is sufficient that you don't need to worry about it running out half way through your film.

Overall very happy with this product

4.0 out of 5 stars PORTABLE DVD, 1 Feb 2013
Wilfred Swain "swannie" (n,ireland) - See all my reviews
GOOD ITEM , DID SEE IT CHEAPER AFTER ORDERING . DONT LIKE THE 2 PIN PLUG AS IT DID NOT COME WITH AN ADAPTOR , I HAVE TO CHARGE IT ON A SHAVER SOCKET!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, 23 Jan 2014
My daughter loves this as it means she is occupied on long car journeys and can easily work it herself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips LED player used for CD's, 11 Aug 2014
Having had one of these before I knew exactly what I was looking for.
I use it for listening rather than looking. It will pickup where you leave the track
and has automatic switch off at the end.This is unlike others where you have
to spend time retracing your starting point and having to remember where you
left the track Speedy reply to purchase request and at a good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems Good, 28 Jan 2013
A. D. Clift (Bromley Kent UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this as a Christmas gift for my 8 year old grandson. it gets continuous use and has not broken yet. Pretty amazing really.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, 4 Mar 2013
Ferris "Ferris" (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was quite excited about receiving this Philips DVD player, I thought it would come in handy for the kids on long car journeys. Upon unpacking it I felt a little let down I had expected technology to have moved on a little but it's the same clunky clam shell design that was on the market about five years ago. It's quite chunky and the screen is rather small and of fairly low resolution. The only new up to date feature that stands out is the USB port providing a simple way to have access to hundreds of films without carrying around a wallet full of DVD's, I tried the USB port with a 64GB stick that wasn't recognised, I then tried a 4GB that had a few photos on and some downloaded episodes of "The Walking Dead". The photos were very small and grainy on the screen, barely recognisable. The video footage was much better as was DVD playback, films were quite adequate. I did find it better using earphones when watching a film as the speaker quality wasn't great and the volume had to be high to drown out the sound of the disc spinning.

It's good that this unit can be connected directly to a TV using an audio cable, I'm sure this would come in very useful for many people as it would save buying an additional home DVD Player.

I've been quite critical of this product and I think my opinion has been a little influenced by seeing how technology in tablets has come on with high res IPS screens and long life batteries, not to mention internet browsing and the ability to download films. Had I not experienced tablet technology I'm sure my opinion of this DVD player would have been more favourable. That said it does as required and the kids will get some use out of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Portable player, 24 Jun 2013
It's great. Battery charge is good. Have used it a lot over the past few months. Although I have had a few problems with the mp3 player, it doesn't recognise it. Apart from that it work well.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›