5.0 out of 5 stars One Man and his Bike
Published on 12 Aug 2011 by Chloe

3.0 out of 5 stars one man and his bike
I was thoroughly enjoying this book until he reached the Lake District when he crammed all the rest of the journey into the last quarter of the book. For me it spoiled an up to then excellent read.

I know he gives his reasons for doing this but it just seems a bit............well...........lazy really.
Published on 26 July 2011 by deegee550

5.0 out of 5 stars One Man and his Bike, 12 Aug 2011
This review is from: One Man and His Bike (Paperback)
I haven't quite finished this book. The reason is because I'm enjoying it so much I don't want it to stop! His descriptions of countryside, cities, roads and people are outstanding and give you a different and encouraging perspective of everything good about the UK. As a Geordie by birth I was itching to read his descriptions of Newcastle and Northumberland, but he rather whizzed through that area in his desire to get over the border, where his obvious enjoyment of Scotland and its outstanding scenery made me long to be there too. He is clearly an outgoing and friendly person who not only enjoys the company of interesting and quirky people but who is honest enough to give his readers an insight into the feelings which these encounters produce in him, thus making this book much more than just a travelogue or a list of places he cycled through. The book is not only well-written but extremely funny and there are sections where I laughed out loud (rather unfairly, seeing I have never been the object of a mass mozzie attack). If you have ever wondered about cycling around Britain, this book will help you to decide whether you could do it or not; if you have never entertained the idea, this book might just make you think again. A really enjoyable book by a very perceptive and entertaining writer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, 9 July 2011
L. Cleverley - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Man and His Bike (Paperback)
I absolutely loved this book, especially when he visited my home town and other places I know well. His portrayal of the scenery made it come alive for me and likewise the people he met on the way. A slight pity he raced through some localities without too much comment, but he does explain why in the book. A few photographs would have made a really good book even better. Well worth reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wanted more, 12 Aug 2011
This review is from: One Man and His Bike (Paperback)
Purchased this from Amazon.

A great read from cover to cover. Perhaps it helps that I 'buy into' Mike - his ideas, views, politics and a smattering of rail enthusiasm.

I wanted more from the journey though, several chunks of the journey were missing - I wanted to know what Mike made of Newquay for example. I guess this is ultimately an editorial decision - there needs to be a trade off when covering the whole country in one book. Perhaps this could have been volumes one and two, though this may not be attractive for the sales figures / publishers.

Could there be some more content online?

I've tried to search for the photos he kept taking, they'd be fascinating to see but no joy yet!

Keep a decent road atlas by your side when reading this, particularly for the areas you are less familiar with.

Well worth your time, a great book full of Mike's personality, totally enjoyable and feelgood. As others have said, Britain isn't broken, you just to get off your arse and make the effort - you'll soon meet decent folk. Just wish I had the guts and stamina to do it for myself!

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended., 4 Aug 2011
This review is from: One Man and His Bike (Paperback)
I enjoyed this immensely. Easy to read, funny, yet thought-provoking about the country in which we live and the way we view the world. It was the perfect companion over the course of a week of commuting by tube into London. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivatingly human, 22 July 2011
K. Collins - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Man and His Bike (Paperback)
Enchanting and insightful - made me feel that it's more than ok to be human in the 21st century. Best book I've read in along time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT READ, 31 July 2011
J. E. Ashe (OLD COLWYN NORTH WALES) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Man and His Bike (Paperback)
Just finished reading this, and have to say it's one of the best books I've read for a long while.T
he characters and settings can be visualised very easily through Mike Carters writing. I now intend to read about his exploits on the BMW in Europe.

I do however agree with one comment about the latter half of the book appearing more rushed than the first,that aside still a great and interesting read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real Deal, 22 Jun 2011
This review is from: One Man and His Bike (Paperback)
I've read a few cycling travelogues recently and for the most part they've been fairly disappointing. But although I'm only a quarter of the way through Mike Carter's excellent book, it already stands head and shoulders anything else.

He's got a lot going for him; he's a Guardian sub-editor and writes well; he's got all the time in the world to take in his surroundings and the people he meets along the way - and it's damn funny with a lot of the humour being his own self-deprecating comments. I'd put it up there with Eric Newby and other travel writers of that ilk.

He suggests his trip is due to a mid-life crisis so I'm looking forward to how this will pan out in the rest of the book. But so far I'd call it a glorious success.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic. Loved Every Page, 10 Sep 2013
This review is from: One Man and His Bike (Paperback)
Loved it. What a great read.
I read this alongside my computer so I could follow his progress on Google Maps which made the book even more enjoyable.
This book has made me want to do the journey but also made me give up on the idea of writing about it: I could never write it as well as this.
The only negative, for me, is that the parts of the coast I know well were the bits he cycled past too quickly to comment much on.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant cycling book, 26 May 2014
This review is from: One Man and His Bike (Kindle Edition)
This is a superb account of a journey many, many cyclists dream of. Mike comes across as a pleasant and insightful chap and brings the country to life. I am certain it is a book I will re-read and I recommend it highly if you ever get the urge to just get on your bike and ride!

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiration to us all, 22 May 2014
This review is from: One Man and His Bike (Paperback)
Well, what to say about this book?! I originally purchased it as I am a keen cyclist (with no intention of cycling those sort of distances, but always in awe of those who do), but to be honest, you don't actually need to be a cyclist, or even have an interest in cycling to enjoy this book.

It is more a study in human nature, emotions and dare I say it, discovering the meaning of life! If your area is mentioned, then you'll share that extra connection, but if not, it really doesn't matter as Mike paints a wonderful (if somewhat short, understandably) picture of the places he cycles through, offering just enough information to retain your interest, but not too much to bog you down to the point that you start glazing over.

It's funny, inspiring stuff that really gets you thinking about your life and the people around you, and how we're perhaps all to some extent occasionally guilty of being a bit too wrapped up in our busy lives to notice the beauty of this little island we inhabit.

A brilliant read from start to finish, and highly recommended to all.

One Man and His Bike