5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant holiday read

3.0 out of 5 stars I sort-of enjoyed it
Published on 19 Sep 2011 by Stephen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars I sort-of enjoyed it, 19 Sep 2011
In order to enjoy this book you need to be (1) a cricket enthusiast, (2) somewhere about the author's age (53) or older. I am both and I sort-of enjoyed it. But I am starting to wonder whether Fatty Batter was a one-off. Even my wife, no cricket enthusiast even after all these years, really enjoyed that one, mainly because it was at least as much about a childhood vividly remembered as it was about cricket. The author's earlier book about acting had its moments, as did his book about going through France, but neither was anywhere near Fatty Batter for quality, and this one likewise.

It just isn't all that funny, and at times it isn't even all that interesting. The subtitle is naff - what has anything here to do with English cricket's demise (especially as he concludes by saying that it is not dead)? If you come to this with no great expectations, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant holiday read, 26 July 2011
Took this book for a spot of summer reading on the sun-soaked beaches of Cornwall. Happily, during the rain-drenched week under canvas I read this wonderful book which transports you to the warm memories of Walls' Mivis and endless summer evenings soaking up the joys of cricket. Although Michael Simpkins' pilgrimage to reminisce on the pleasures of the boundary certainly do not need a passion for, or even a knowledge of, the game. It is a touching, funny and hugely entertaining book which resonates with Simpkins' wry joy in confounded ambition and a marvellous observational talent for the absurdities of life. At times I actually laughed out loud - his reaction to the curry is a graphically brilliant piece of writing. Can't wait to read his other books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Last but not Least, 29 Sep 2011
I loved Fatty Batter, and I really enjoyed What's My Motivation and Detour de France, so I'm a Michael Simkins' fan. The Last Flannelled Fool is in the "really enjoyed" rather than the "loved" category, but that's testament to what a special book Fatty Batter is - part memoir, part nostalgia piece on cricket, but mostly a thank-you-letter to much-loved parents. The Last FF has the cricket nostalgia aspect again, but it's really about growing old, rather than being young. Not just the author getting old and creaky, but the game itself, seen from various different county grounds around England and Wales, as Simkins uses the excuse of a foot injury to spend a summer trying to rekindle his love of the game. He succeeds - and in doing so he will have probably rekindled the reader's own feelings for the summer game by the end of it - that's certainly how it worked for me. From a slow start (and with far too many typos), the journey gradually finds its own pace, and for a tale based on the author wandering the country on his own, he doesn't half become a great companion to the reader, gathering numerous oddballs and anecdotes en route. The most powerful part for me was the journey to Bristol, involving both an encounter with a wistful Gloucester fan remembering the classic Gillette Cup semi-final with Lancashire in 1971, and then a story from Clifton College about the highest individual's innings of all time (628). There are three or four laugh-out-loud moments, but overall, the end emotion is warmth - from author to subject, and from reader to author. Hopefully, this is not the last word from Michael Simkins on cricket, or life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great find for a male pressie, 12 Aug 2011
Saw this reviewed in "Daily Mail" and sent away immediately as knew it would be ideal present, the recipient was over the moon and sat reading immediately, uttering phrases like "yes...that's me" " I remember that" etc etc HUGE success - then another newspaper reviewed it and he saw that and was so impressed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Gem, 8 Aug 2011
It must be something to do with the fact that I am of a similar age to Michael Simkins but I found myself transported back to my childhood with his latest offering and what a joy this book is. I know that layby on the A27 between Sompting and Worthing, I remember the sweet taste of the Mivvi bar (and a Strawberry Split come to that) and I can still recall sitting with my Dad and joining in with Brian Cant as the Trumpton firemen toppled down their pole (What's my Motivation).

This book is a real gem. Written with the wonderful wit and humour that have come to characterise his books we are transported back to a time when life seemed to be more innocent, more caring and far less frantic. Mike Simkins is a really funny writer and there were times when I was 'laughing out loud' and had to explain to those around me just why (The driver with the 'moobs' - superb!)

A truely funny book and only one comment can summise - more please....and soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars So much more than a book about cricket!, 1 Aug 2011
I read this book having enjoyed 'Fatty Batter' and the authors other books.

TLFF is a very enjoyable journey through a season of cricket enjoyed mostly from the view of a spectator (the author being unable to play due to injury). You are taken to various grounds from differing levels of the game where you are introduced to interesting characters whilst the author imparts his extensive knowledge of the sports history.

The book is highly entertaining and informative. On several occasions I found myself laughing out loud or reaching for my laptop to find out more about a particular fact. It is written in such a way that you are fully engaged with the author and feel his emotions (happiness, pain, exasperation etc). I found I didn't want the season to end but had to keep reading.

But this book is not just for cricket fans. Whether you understand LBW or not you would enjoy this book as the anecdotes cross many boundaries.

Thoroughly entertaining!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 12 Aug 2011
If you like cricket you will love it if you like life you will love it If you dont like either you will love it. Straight in to my top 5 books.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Last Flannelled Fool, 5 Aug 2011
Mr. David A. Jarman (Caterham, Surrey England) - See all my reviews
A hugely entertaining read. For anyone interested in cricket this is a must. For those of us the wrong side of fifty, but with a love of sport and a sense of humour, this book is heaven.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very English Odyssey, 4 Aug 2011
A very English Odyssey
This is summer reading at it's best and I read it over two or three days sitting in the garden... perfect.
Michael Simkins takes the reader on a tour of cricket grounds; both from his childhood and from the history of cricket. So we share the excitement of a first visit to Hambledon where cricket supposedly originated to the current home of cricket Lords via a good many well-known, less well known and even extinct cricket grounds. An easy read that entertains, amuses and even at times educates. Excellent value and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another 6 to the boundary, 4 Aug 2011
Read the authors other books and felt the original Fatty Batter would be a hard book to follow, but this one certainly does it. I'm sure it helps if you are of an age similar to the author and know the places he visited but even without that this is a thumping good read, with a lot of laugh out loud passages (loved his description of Monkey World). A great read from an excellent writer,which I fully recommend

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›