5.0 out of 5 stars Scared of spiders? This is a 'must have' item!
Published on 3 Sep 2011 by Rosalind

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine for small spiders!
I get some large house spiders which I am terrified of. The good thing about this product is that it has a long funnel - so you aren't too close to the beasties.
But it doesn't have strong enough suction to get them...although smaller spiders do get sucked up the tube. I practice on them!
Published on 27 Jun 2012 by Caleyman

5.0 out of 5 stars Scared of spiders? This is a 'must have' item!, 3 Sep 2011
This review is from: Spider Catcher, Spider & Insect Vacuum with new Turbo Booster, ENERGIZER battery included (Kitchen & Home)
Having been a lifelong arachnophobe (hmmm - not sure about that spelling!!), I bought this item hoping that I'd be able to get rid of spiders from my home with the minimum amount of fuss and fear ..... and I can honestly say that it has definitely more than delivered. Collecting spiders has now become a very simple matter of sucking them up into a clear tube (just like hoovering really) and trapping them there with a plastic stopper. Voila - job done! .... And, because of the length of the tube, I'm able to keep my distance at all times - brilliant! I have also used my spider vac to get rid of other annoying insects, including flies.
One of the best things about this item is that it doesn't harm spiders or insects at all and they can be freed outside your house (or, as in my case, get in the car, drive two miles down the road to the next village and 're-home' them there! - yes, I really am that paranoid!!!!).
Honestly, I can't recommend this item enough. In fact, I liked my first one so much I bought a second - one for downstairs and one for upstairs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spider and insect vac, 25 Oct 2011
This is a superb product, I have so far trapped a spider, wasp, daddy longlegs and several flies and bluebottles!!
Tempted to buy another so that I can have one upstairs and one down...highly recommended to anyone who has an issue with spiders and creepycrawlies!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Insect Vacuum, 13 Jun 2013
Charles - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This product allows you to suck bugs up without hurting them, you can then deposit the insect outside. A common complaint of products of this type is the suction is not very strong, as far as I can tell this is deliberate design feature because strong suction risks injury to the insect.

Because of the weak suction you have to get point blank range to suck the insect in, preferably putting the tube over the insect trapping it inside the tube, if the bug has anything to grip on to it can resist the suction and you will have to gently move the tube about to cause the insect to lose its grip and get sucked in.

The first insect I tried this on was a lady bug crawling on the wall, even this tiny insect was able to resist the suction at point blank range but I nudged it with the tip of the vac to dislodge the bug and it was sucked in.

The second insect I tried this on was a small mosquito, it was able to cling on to the edge to avoid been sucked in, but a quick tap against a wall and it was sucked in.

It was able to suck a smallish mosquito out of the air mid flight.
I have tried getting flies mid flight but their flight path are too erratic to get close enough.

I have managed to catch a fly on a curtain, again the suction was not powerful enough to get the fly to break its grip so the tube needs to be put over the bug trapping it inside and then the bug's grip of the curtain broken by moving the tube about. The same thing happened with a wasp.

Another time I used this on a fly on the ceiling, when the tube got within about one inch the fly was sucked in, same thing with a fly on a fridge door, so I presume that the surface the insect is on effects its ability to resist the suction.

I have caught a one inch spider on a table using this, I had to get very close and the spider managed to run away a couple of times before getting sucked in.

I was able to catch a small wasp, the wasp managed to cling on to the opening but a quick shake and it was sucked in. Upon release, the wasp had got tangled up in spider's silk left behind in the tube by a spider sucked up previously. Because of this I recommend you clean the tube if you catch a spider in case any spider web/silk is left behind.

It is also sometimes possible to coerce insects inside the vacuum without using suction which saves on battery, this comes with a free battery by the way.

The device uses a spinning fan to generate suction with a grill at the bottom of the tube to stop the insect being sucked in to the fan. One time a very small spider slipped past the grill, I switched off the suction and took the device apart to find the spider unharmed in the tubing between the fan and grill, but I also found 3 fruit flies that had not been so lucky. Because of this I recommend if you're going to use this on insects small enough to slip through the grill, switch off the suction as soon as the insect is sucked in.

It comes with two tubes that can be linked together to increase reach, which comes in very handy when trying to get bugs high on the ceiling.

I was not impressed by the turbo feature, it's just a smaller opening to the vac.

I have yet to try it on big spiders, personally I doubt it will work on a big spider unless they walk in of their own accord. I have had this product over a year and it is still working. Overall, I am happy with this product and would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hands free spider remover, 29 Aug 2012
Great product and ideal for those with a spider phobia as it keeps the insect at arms length, especially the ones that are the size of tarantulas.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine for small spiders!, 27 Jun 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 28 Sep 2012
Margaret Gates (St Neots) - See all my reviews
I found this an excellent product even when catching the larger spiders who have a habit of clinging on at the top of the tube, just a tap against the wall etc with make them fall down to the bottom which then give one time to pop the top on before they have time to climb up again! Heartily recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 8 Jun 2013
Very handy to have at home for those big ugly spiders! Easy to assemble and easy to use. Love it

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 10 May 2013
Super for flies wasps and spiders works great and can reach the ceiling no problem without having to get a chair and fall off ? bought one for my daughter

3.0 out of 5 stars for small spiders only, 3 Aug 2014
OK if you are scared of tiny spiders... but not really for (kind of) big ones.

I bought this for my wife who keeps getting the hoover out and leaving it everywhere in the house in her fight against spiders...

My first attempt was against a reasonable big (or small depending how you feel about them) spider towards the ceiling.
Because the suction was not strong enough to force the spider in, it actually almost fell on my face... which did not really impress my wife.
Since, I have managed to catch a few but it's virtually impossible against strong ones because the suction is very feable.

It will do the job for (very) small spiders but my wife is still getting the hoover out instead!
I'll have to find something better.
Any advice welcome :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nifty gadget, 29 July 2013
Handy to get rid of nasty bugs - bit tricky to shake them out once you've captured them, but takes the scariness out of catching them!