5.0 out of 5 stars Special features for all the Movies
Great set!! There are enough normal reviews here, so I just wanted to point out something important to some. Each of the first four movies have special features also. Just that they are located on the disk along with the movie, instead of on a separate disk. This isn't a reduced feature set like some were thinking. There are special features for all the movies.........
Published on 15 Dec. 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap set with no effort at all. Still good price though for all the films and bonus material.
Not talking about the films now, everybody knows and loves them.

I was just really disappointment when unwrapping this 'Collection' and realising it was just a bunch of wildly thrown together standard blue ray cases of different sizes in a thin paper "box". At least two disc per case, with the cheapest cover imaginable and all the extras/technical...
Published 19 months ago by Christian Heynert

5.0 out of 5 stars Special features for all the Movies, 15 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Harry Potter: The Complete 8-Film Collection [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free] [2001] (Blu-ray)

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the US version!, 23 Dec. 2012
E. Marroquin (California) - See all my reviews
So I recently purchased this set and I must say, it was worth every penny! Just price alone was great, in total it rang up to a little less than $34 US. Compare that to the $80 it's going for on the US site and you've got a great price. I do prefer this box art as compared to the US version and the fact that it's region free is a major plus. Only a few on my end though. The blu-ray boxes on years 1-6, thin normal sized blu-ray cases with two of the movies in each,felt a little cheap. All 3 cases would take a tiny bit of maneuvering to get them to clip shut. The last case for year 7 was double the size of hte other cases and closed perfectly. Another complaint is that the movie plays automatically. I'm used to hitting a selection menu that lets you chose where you want to head to before the movie starts rolling. It's easy to miss the special features on years 1-6 if you don't hit the option to go to the menu on your player. Year 7 has a separate special features disc for both parts, but I haven't gotten to those yet so I couldn't say how those two goes. Little complaints, but they don't take away much of anything for this set. I'm still completely pleased with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, slow shipping to USA, 7 Nov. 2012
This set is almost 2X more here in the US, so I did like many others here, ordered it from Amazon UK. GREAT PRICE on the set, and on shipping ($5 to USA). However, it did take almost a month to receive on the West Coast here. Amazon UK uses crappy/thin cardboard boxes just like the Amazon USA. Received with crushed corner, virtually no packing material inside. Luckily, no damage to merchandise. Not really complaining too much since the shipping cost was so inexpensive. Also, I like the fact that the graphics on the UK discs are completely different on all the discs, from the US version, and you get the first movie which is titled the "Philosopher's Stone", not "Sorcerer's Stone. I haven't watched the first movie from this set yet, but I assume it includes scenes showing the actors saying "Philosopher's Stone" instead of the US version showing scenes with the actors saying, "Sorcerer's Stone". Discs play fine in my Blu-ray player. Love the bonus discs for the last movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!, 1 Dec. 2011
I just can not believe it.
I first loggged on to Amazon.com here in the United States, and I was about to order the Harry Potter Collectors Set, however, before placing my order, I started reading some of the reviews, some of the the people were giving very poor reviews/ratings to the U.S. released version of the collectors set.
I read one review from a man that said he was a U.S. citizen living in London, and he said that the UK version was so much better that the US version, OH MY GOSH!!, was he ever right.
I don't know why we in the United States are offered such a poor eqivalent, but we are.
If this set (UK version) is all that it is supposed to be, then I have made the right choice.
I placed my order at Amazon.co.uk, and I just can't believe how easy the whole purchase process was, even with the shipping.
I was equally amazed at the low price for everything, I was even given a currency conversion chart to show me the difference between British Pounds and U.S. Dollars.
YOU BRIT'S KICK ASS!!!!!....... I'm not sure what the British slang eqivalent to this phrase is, but believe me, it means VERY, VERY GOOD!!
I am supposed to receive my package by Thursday, December 7th, so, if I do, I will post an update and let you all know how it turns out.

Sincerely,
A Very Happy Texan

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Collection, 12 Dec. 2011
This was purchased for viewing in the States, and works wonderfully. On some sites there was commentary left saying that this version wont have any of the extra features because they are going to stop selling this by 2012 to then make a version with all the extras, but so far have watched the first 2 movies, and the related extras and I have been impressed. I have not tried all the online extras at the moment, but the packaging on this set is well enough that it takes up less space then all the widescreen DVDs I had from Movies 1-5, and the box design, is very clean and compact. I am also very happy to report that the disks don't take you through endless previews, putting the disk in takes you directly to the movie, and you just have to hit your disc menu button to get to the extra content. I would very much suggest this to anyone wanting to upgrade their DVD collection to blu-ray, or just want a complete collection of harry potter movies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 24 Sept. 2012
This is exactly what I was looking for. It cost half the price to get this product shipped to America from England than just buying the American version...it also has more discs of special features than the US version and the box cover is even better. Finally it's completely region free so it will work wherever you take it. Buy this and be happy with yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent alternative to the North American box set., 15 July 2013
B. Albert (USA) - See all my reviews
I feel like I should preface this review with a disclaimer: I am reviewing only the Blu-Ray version of this collection, which is Region-Free and "should" work on any North American Blu-Ray player. Many of the negative reviews I've seen are from buyers who bought the DVD version expecting it to also be region-free, which it is not. (Standard DVDs in general, particularly from major studios, are almost always going to be region-locked. So if you buy a DVD from Amazon UK, you should expect it to be Region 2 PAL.)

For the record, I have a North American 120GB PS3 Slim, and all of the discs, movies and special features alike, played flawlessly.

Like many other reviewers, two things in particular attracted me to this collection over its North American counterpart. First of all, it's cheaper. The price of the N.A. set has come down in recent months, but this one is still less expensive as of this writing. Better still, there is more content in the UK version. For those of you who don't know, this set is basically a compilation of the individual releases of each film. While the first five films were released as single discs, the last three were 2-disc sets (with, as you might expect, the movie on the first disc and the special features on the second). The N.A. version omits the special features discs for the last three films, but they are included here. Now, obviously, this collection is not as comprehensive as the Ultimate Editions or the Wizard's Collection. There are no extended cuts or 3D versions here, and since the early films were limited to single discs, the extras are somewhat lacking. But for the more casual Harry Potter fan like myself, you're getting all you probably need for under $50, based on current pricing and exchange rates.

I have no complaints about the video quality of these discs. I'm sure the early films would've benefited from having separate discs for the special features thereby allowing for a higher bit-rate for the movies themselves, but they look fine. The later films, having more room to breathe as well as simply being newer, look fantastic. I have yet to experience the lossless audio options as I have an older A/V receiver, but the lossy Dolby Digital and DTS tracks sound great for what they are.

I will say that the packaging could have been better. The set comes in a cardboard slipcase housing four Blu-Ray cases containing two movies each. This is fine, but the hinges on the disc trays are a bit flimsy and the fourth case, which houses the two Deathly Hallows movies, is unnecessarily thick with a lot of empty space for the discs to be jostled around and become dislodged during shipping. Fortunately, this didn't happen to me, but I'm sure it easily could have.

That minor complaint aside, I couldn't be happier with this purchase and would recommend this collection to anyone who wants the Harry Potter movies but can't justify the expense of the Ultimate Editions or the Wizard's Collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for a no frills box set as long as you aren't expecting any extras, 19 Mar. 2012
After seeing how cheap this box set was (£25 at the time) so soon after the release of the final film I requested and received this for Christmas.

The price seemed too good to be true and I guess it is if you are expecting all the extras that you usually get in a box set but it is still good value for a box set so soon after the final movie was in the cinema. I love the movies and the actual films are perfectly good quality.

However, in order to make an informed choice you should know the following:
- As others have said - the disks do seem to be repackaged from previously unsold versions of the individual movies. This does not affect the viewing quality of the films at all it is just not what I was expecting. Most of my disks say they are disk 1 so presumably came with a second disk of special features in their original form.
- One of my disks does not even say which movie it is but it is not too difficult to work out by process of elimination!
- I don't think there are any special features which I would normally expect from a box set and I hadn't realised when I first saw this on amazon (i'm not sure if the description has been updated now).
- The outside box is quite flimsy and not the same quality as most box sets that I have but the individal cases (4 cases with 2 films each) are good quality.

If none of the above is important to you then I would definitely recommend this as it is very good value for a "no frills" box set. Had I known at the time that a more deluxe version would be coming out then perhaps I would have waited depending on the price and the length of the wait but for this price there isn't really a need to wait for your Harry Potter fix!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Magical, 2 Jan. 2012
It was inevitable that I was going to purchase this anthology, as I have been a fan of the series since the publication of "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone". I was lucky enough to grow up with Harry, Ron and Hermione - to anticipate the release of every book and film - and so now that the series has reached its conclusion, I am glad that the journey has been pieced together in such a wonderful collection.

The quality of the picture is excellent in the later films, and the clarity of the earlier films is greatly improved upon too. The films themselves are beautifully presented in the fold out cases. However, it would have been nice if they had thought to include the special features from the first few rather than just the last. That being said, the additional content is very good. Each of the interviews with J.K. Rowling and the cast were engaging, entertaining, and well thought out. They all provided a good insight into the Potterverse.

As for the box itself, it looks very nice. It isn't perfect - it would have been more durable if it had been a metal container, and there should have been some sort of clasp to hold the flap closed - however, it is certainly not disappointing. On the inside is a promotional image from the final film of the Battle of Hogwarts, which looks stunning. Also included is a photo album with screencaps from the films. The book was made to look like the album Hagrid gave Harry in the first film, which is a rather touching idea. It is the perfect reminder of what is so special about the series.

Yes, the price is fairly steep. No, it's not perfect. However, it is a wonderful collection and the ideal way for any fan to have a marathon and relive Harry's story on screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Far superior to the American version, 10 Jan. 2013
Harry Abramson (Chesapeake, Virginia USA) - See all my reviews
My wife has been yearning for this ever since the final film came out, but all of the American box set offerings have been dismal in terms of quality and value. The nearest U.S. set to this one only includes 8 discs—one for each film—omitting the 3 extra features discs included with this set.

Other reviewers on the U.S. Amazon site were spot-on regarding the UK collection. Even with shipping, exchange rate, and my credit card company's foreign transaction fee, our total cost for this 11-disc set was still less than half that of the 8-disc American version. It even arrived in time for Christmas. Brilliant!