4.7 out of 5 stars3,861
Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 343 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on 16 December 2011
Sweet! Got my box set today. It arrived sooner than I expected, from UK to San Diego in 4 weeks. Here is what is in the box.
It contains 4 blue hard plastic plastic disk holders. 3 are normal width, 1 is double width. The single width holders contain 2 or 3 disks. There are 11 disks in total.

Holder #1 Contains 2 disks:

(4a) Year 7 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
(4b) Year 7 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 Special Features
(4c) Year 7 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
(4d) Year 7 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 Special Features

Sorry... I don't have a BluRay player at home (yet!). I'm gonna watch this at my friend's house on his big budget home theater system. So I will report what is on the Deathly Hallows special features disks this weekend.
on 17 December 2011
While the blue ray video can only be called inspired, I was disappointed because I didn't get the advertised product. I was most interested in seeing "the deathly hallows". It came as a UK regional issue. The product was advertised as "region free". So I got to watch the first movies before "the deathly hallows" but got snagged up on the very movie I wanted to see most. It won't load, and gives the error of "invalid region". It's impossible to call Amazon. So how do I get the last movie without going through a lengthy return?
on 15 October 2012
Like many others that I've read about in these reviews, I live in the US but decided to order this boxed set from Amazon.co.uk for two reasons:

1) There are 2 extra discs of special features, as opposed to 8 in the American version of this set
2) The overall cost came in at less than half of what it would have been had I ordered from Amazon.com

I had to wait a few extra weeks for it to arrive at my home (shipping overseas and whatnot), but it was surely worth the savings. I won't get too deeply into the quality of the films themselves, other than to say that Blu-Ray has treated them very well, especially the early films.

However, I did remove a star for the packaging: pulling it out of the shipping box, I thought immediately how light the set felt in my hands, and that it felt a bit, well, cheap. Everything was in tact and although did I expect a bare bones collection (which is what I wanted), I think the materials could have been chosen more wisely. Not that I'm overly rough with my discs and cases, but this is definitely a set I'll have to take special care not to damage.

Aside from that very minor gripe, I highly recommend this set over any of the other iterations that congest the market.
on 26 February 2012
I bought this set now cause the price is excellent for 8 movies (!!!) and while I am planing on getting a "definite" edition of the movies later on, this set will do for now. It's a great package and it has a fairly good amount of extras. Now, we all know the movies and I will not comment on the Picture and Audio Quality of this set, since others have done a better job than myself at it (go at blu-ray.com for reviews for each film). What I'd like to comment on is the packaging itself. It's pretty basic actually, and it looks cheap. What's really bothering me with movie "collections" is that studios do not take into account a big factor: shelf space. They chose to house the discs in big cases while they could have chosen slimmer cases. The last 2 films in particular (4 discs) are housed in an enormous case which was created to hold 6 discs. They could have "slimmed down" the package, it would look better, it would take up less shelf space and it would be easier to handle (the 6-disc case is not as easy to close as the rest of the cases).
Nevertheless, this is an excellent package if you're a fan of the series and are looking for a complete collection without spending too much money.
on 10 February 2014
Well, as you read the books you are influenced in a way of the films, when it comes to Hogwarth Castle, the grounds, and all the glorious personage. This, if you have seen the films first, before reading the books. This is a minus for you if you have richer fantasy than the films can tell you. For my part, I will absolutely capitulate for the films! For once i feel they are better than I could imagin myself. But I also want to have the books! All the personage from Harry, to Dumbledore, and everyone including Dobby the house-elf are magnificent, both in books and films! J.K.Rowlins must be realy satisfied, I hope, even if her toughts and imagination was surely richer. But I am realy thankfull to everybody whom made these fantastic films possible. All the fantastic actors who contributed, and everybody who made it possible to let us see all this magical environment. For in these WORLD we all got an escape from our dreary mugle one. Here will rationality and the good guys will at last win! And this is what I and maybe you and many others, want. Heartly thanks to all, that made this thing posible! (A norwegian-hungarian mugle whose English is not too good.)
on 4 September 2011
I pre-ordered this as soon as it became available to do so. £25.50. Then, it went down in price so Amazon Refunded me £5.50 - thankyou. I recived this on the day it came I love the cover art on the box. I love the films. It is so worth the money, but I wouldn't have minded paying a bit more for some Special Features! Maybe a 9-10 disc collection of 'Behind the Magic' that isn't just exclusive to Blu Ray?
on 10 June 2015
I would have given this box set the full five stars but because the disc menus are rubbishly arranged and hard to find anything, I gave it four,
Now if your blind or partially sighted you will need to know that ALL eight films in this collection have Audio Description, I myself have had great difficulty finding the first three Potter films with Audio Description, so that's why I was over joyed to find out that this set had it all.
Now as I said before the menus are rubbish, so when you put the disc in the movie will start automatically and if you want a headache finding language selection by all means press your disc menu button, but there is an easier way, most BluRay players now have an audio button so press that instead, you may need a sighted guide to help you find this button, if it is anything like my player downstairs language selection is in a function button that does other disc features too.
Good luck and happy viewing.

There are three languages all three English English DTS English Dolby and English PCM one of the last two are the AD.
Hope this helps
on 19 November 2014
Blu ray review:
Audio 5/5
Visual 4/5
Extras 5/5

Is it worth upgrading from dvd?

To be honest I was a bit concerned whilst watching the first movie. Whilst the audio is great throughout all the films, the picture quality in the first couple is not as good as it could have been. Gladly though they do get better as the movies go on.
on 29 January 2013
My first order never arrived, but customer service placed a new order for me, and this one arrived, a bit late, but not amazon's fault.

The box is simple, not very durable, but it'll keep your movies together, it must be handled carefully.

The movies boxes and discs are consistent, with good printing and material quality.

The content of the movies is excellent, no weird colors, no glitches, good sound and image, region free.

The extra content is ok, i don't really care about it, but it's just for the last movie (7 part 1 and 7 part 2).

If you care about good packaging, extra content, collection edition, etc, DO NOT BUY THIS.

On the other hand, if you just want the movies, THIS IS YOUR PRODUCT.

Harry Potter - The Complete 8-Film Collection [Blu-ray] [2011][Region Free]

Packaging : 5/10
Video/sound quality: 10/10
Extra content: 3/10
Price: 11/10

Region free: yes
on 1 December 2011
It's worth noting that despite my issues with the box set, it is still good value, considering you are getting all the films and in a reasonably compact box.

With that said, the box set layout itself is a bit odd, with the covers of each individual movie printed on the back, as well as the front. For example, movie 1 and 2 are in the same box and the cover for movie 2 is printed on the back. It would make more sense to have them both on the front, since that's where we instinctively look.

The other issue I have with it is that some of the movie discs are clearly unsold copies of the films, which were part of a special edition DVD. Some of the discs themselves have things like 'Disc 1' or 'Movie Disc' indicating that originally it was part of 2 or more. Plus I have some of the films from previous years and they are exactly the same. However the price is low and if it makes no real difference at all to the DVD then I don't see a problem with them recycling discs that aren't going to move off the shelves and would only end up in the bin. Let's just say it doesn't add to the look of the box set, but if you just want to watch the film then it isn't a problem.

Overall the box set is good. The flaws can easily be overlooked due to the low price of the box set. If you just want to buy something that has all the films on so you don't have to go looking through book cases and shelves to find all those individual movies you've bought and lost over the years, then it is definitely worth it.