5.0 out of 5 stars Travel has never been this easy.
I really think this classic tale of travel and adventure is indispensable for any decent book collection. In comparison with the dated and crusty translations used in most modern reprints, this new edition contains clarity of expression and lively prose that kept me engrossed in Phileas Fogg's incredible odyssey around the globe. By reading Around the World in Eighty Days...
Published on 4 Mar 2004 by Michael Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Slight but amusing
Jules Verne's tale of an English gentleman's bet that he can circumnavigate the world in 80 days is a light and readable adventure. Strangely the weakest sections seem to be the actual travelogue descriptions of foreign lands, which tend to be rather dry and uninvolving, and the hero Phileas Fogg manages to solve most of the problems that come his way simply by throwing...
Published on 27 Jun 2005 by Jane Aland

5.0 out of 5 stars best story made, 12 Feb 2014
This book is very very good if you read this same book twice it would be just as good as you would have read the first time

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent series, 17 Oct 2013
K. J. Stone - See all my reviews
We already had Treasure Island for our son, so my wife was looking for more in the series. Has the original text of the Jules Verne story in child friendly print, with so much more besides. The history, the times, the ships. For a child doing Empire at school in History, this can really fill out context. I wish there were more books in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars book, 13 Aug 2013
Great book just what I was looking for trying to start collecting Jules Verne books and this will make a great edition

5.0 out of 5 stars good reading, 12 Feb 2013
good hardcover invites to good reading, my son loves it. could have some more illustrations but still ok. jules verne is always a classic

5.0 out of 5 stars Great present for kids, 20 Jan 2013
My son is reading this now and he enjoys it a lot. This abridged version is absolutely a great way to introduce your kids to classic books. The language is simple and easy for a children to understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Book, 12 Dec 2012
A beautifully illustrated book that would appeal to young and old alike. I bought it for my son to read to his son and he
was thrilled with the traditional design of this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars C19 'travel novel', 19 Nov 2012
C. Desbruslais (Lincs, UK) - See all my reviews
Jules Verne evokes some brilliant characters - suave, sophisticated Phileas Fogg, the effervescently entertaining Passepartout and the doggedly determined Detective Fix. For today's reader 'Around the World in 80 Days' gives some wonderful insights into Verne's view of the C19 world and Britain's position of power within it.
The book is highly entertaining in the first half and doesn't disappoint at the end. However, during the second half the narrative reads rather more like a C19 travel guide and I found myself skimming sections to get back to the action.

Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone, but most especially to those who enjoy reading C19 fiction.

4.0 out of 5 stars Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne, 14 Nov 2012
A very good read and Ideal for teaching English as a foreign language. A very good read and Ideal for teaching English as a foreign language

5.0 out of 5 stars Another success by Jules Verne, 3 Oct 2012
Aaron (MELTON MOWBRAY, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I picked this up based purely on the author's name value. And I am happy to say I was not left wondering why. Jules Verne is a master story teller, it is a great shame to the world that he died. His tales are beautiful, enthralling and leave writers such as myself thinking 'I want to emmulate his legacy'. Around the World in 80 Days does all of those things.

It had me praying for Phogg's success, mourning his set backs and had me thoroughly delighted with how things ended...despite how bad things seemed in the last few pages.

All in all I would suggest reading this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant surprise., 8 July 2012
Isla Swan (UK) - See all my reviews
Was short of reading material so decided to give "Around the world in 80 days" a whirl as it was a freebie on my e-reader..Expected it to be a fusty,boring tale however I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.
The story revolves around Mr Fogg and his companions attempting to complete their journey in the allotted time.There are lots of twists and turns that almost thwart their success.Fogg is cool throughout all the disasters that befall the group.There is gentle humour and some moments of suspense to keep the reader interested however the parts I disliked the most were the explanations of where the companions were travelling to. These should have been a really important part of the plot however I found the descriptions dry and dull.I felt that the odd little map dotted through the book would have helped the reader to follow the journey.
Overall,a really enjoyable read and one that everyone should try. I was sceptical but very pleased that I gave it a go!