5.0 out of 5 stars A master of twist and double twist, to be read in one go

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published on 20 May 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 20 May 2002
By A Customer
Patterson's latest book sees the introduction of a new female detective. The book starts well and as with all patterson books the pace is frantic. However, there the praise ends. The book reads as though it is written by a man trying to be a woman. There's too much crying and hugging. The end is very predictable and I guessed halfway through the book who'd done it. There were several twists at the end but all of which I expected. A twist is only good if you're not expecting it. The fact that I saw them all coming a mile off shows that patterson is getting predictable. Not his best work, but as of late that's the norm.

5.0 out of 5 stars A master of twist and double twist, to be read in one go, 4 April 2001
This review is from: 1st to Die (Hardcover)
Although the 'girl's club' getting together did not quite sit right, the plot with all of it's twists and turns, did not disappoint. I was 'lucky' enough to be off work when I received my copy. I did not put the book down until I finished it, having read all of the Alex Cross series, I hoped it would be as good as those. And I was not disappointed, although the feisty females against male superiors theme, was a little overdone for my personal taste.
James Patterson writes about a subject matter which must be hard to research, empathise with and in turn make it horrifyingly believeable. Should this be a start of another series I look forward to the development of the main character, Inspector Lindsay Boxer and her Women's Murder Club.She, like Alex Cross, has more to share with us. So, please James, more and soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Cross, 14 April 2006
Matthew Jones - See all my reviews
I read a few Alex Cross novels and thought they were "OK" nothing special not particularly gripping but solid enough reads.

When Patterson then started this new series starting with 1st to die i thought perhaps he might be clutching at straws.

However i was wrong 1st to die is an absolute stunning read from cover to cover i read it within a day i was that hooked on it.

The reason being i was hooked is because it is so fast paced so many twists all the way through the book just keep you hooked on the book.

Recommend it to everyone a truely stunning read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice change, 7 Feb. 2007
Having read most, (if not all), of Patterson's Alex Cross books, I was pleasantly suprised how much I enjoyed this new storyline. The idea of a group of women all chatting together and managing to plough their way through complex investigations really appeals to me. It's just the sort of thing a group of women friends do for other aspects of life anyway when they get together to put the world to rights.

After reading 1st To Die, I couldn't wait for the next in the series to appear. Once again, a real page turner and oh, how I love that Patterson always does such nice short chapters! Great read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Jury's still out..., 4 April 2006
Hugh Sutherland "hughs1206" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
My problem with this book was that despite myself screaming at some horrific pieces of writing...I actually enjoyed it.
This was my first introduction to James Patterson and I assume at some point that i'll try another one in the series.
What stops me from rushing back for more at present is the hideous descriptions such as "fiesty lawyer..." and other awkward and unforgetable cliches.
Here is a classic example of how male writers seem to find it more difficult than their female counterparts, to create strong and original characters of the opposite sex.
If it wasn't for the twist at the end and the fact that you can read the book in record timing, thus not waisting too much valuble time, my rating would be far less.
Crime writing of a less serious nature

2.0 out of 5 stars Simply Dreadful, 10 April 2001
This review is from: 1st to Die (Hardcover)
"1st to Die" is an example of lazy writing and non existant characterisation. The four female protagonists are so badly drawn... Patterson has no understanding of how women speak, feel or react to each other or the situations these girls find themselves in. This book reads less like a novel and more like a screenplay treatment,( the rights have been sold for a tv mini series already). It is a shame because Pattersons "Alex Cross" books are brisk and well written. Give this one a miss, it's very disappointing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another gripping story ....., 9 April 2002
By A Customer
As a regular reader of James Patterson, I eagerly awaited the first instalment of his new set of characters "The Women's Murder Club" in 1st to Die.
From the moment I began reading I was gripped, and I knew that I had to read to the very end that same day to find out who did it!
Although this book is probably not my favourite of his novels, I enjoyed the new characters and the plot kept me going.
The quick chapter writing style of James Patterson is again present, which makes it an easy read, good for train journeys into work.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, 6 April 2001
This review is from: 1st to Die (Hardcover)
The plot of 1st to Die is interesting enough to keep reading. A serial killer is murdering young newlywed couples. His goal is doing the worst thing that anyone has ever done, and he seems to be leaving a clue behind at each murder scene for the investigators to find.
The investigators are the problem with the book. Four professional women join together to form the "Women's Murder Club" which sounds more like a sorority outing than the serious focus that the crimes require. The four are into "sharing" and being there for each other. The dialogue is girlie stuff and not nearly as strong as Patterson usually is with his Alex Cross stories. A good surprise ending makes finishing the book worthwile. I will read Roses are Red, the new Alex Cross book, and skip the next book with the girls.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book . Both lighter and darker than ever before., 8 April 2002
By A Customer
James Patterson has made his name writing about the detective Alex Cross. Well guess what,he keeps the theme, but changes the gendre of the star character and drifts into unfamiliar territory.

1st to Die, takes us all away from the grinde of everyday detective work we all learned about in his earlier books, and we are now presented with a new female detective, based in L.A. Who is good at her job investigating murders, is respected by her peers, but has various life issues to deal with that he has never really covered before. We have all enjoyed Alex, as the book sales tell the publisher, and we know that murder is Patterson's favorite subject.But, this time he's different.
The plot is carefully laid out, taking the reader through all the emotions while reading a pacey book, which can't be said about some of his earlier work. I read this book from start to finish, being unwilling to put it down and join in on a resent holiday, but the unpopularity was worth it.
The book is not overly long, with several twists along the way involving all the main characters. In a story which is based on murder, but has been spiced up through sexual acts, which made me cringe as you realised that there had to be some foundation in real life.
Needless to say, there are plenty of ups and downs as the story progressess, around the murder case, the characters lives and the villan in the story. There are several twists and as the book seems to be ending far to early, it really takes off for the final four chapters.
If you have read Patterson before this will compare with his better works. If not, this is a great way to introduce yourself to one of the more realistic murder fiction writers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Self Inflicted Insomnia, 18 April 2001
This review is from: 1st to Die (Hardcover)
I own all of Patterson's books and can safely say that 1st to Die holds real compassion. Patterson infuses this book with his normal electricity and rapid plot from the page 1. In the past Patterson carefully molded Alex Cross into an almost perfect form, people who have read these may be disapointed by the development of characters in 1st to Die, but remember the great Alex Cross has developed since Kiss the Girls. I have to agree with other reviews that the 'Womens Murder Club' wasn't exactly to my taste and think the book would have done equally as well without it. Overall this book is well written and has a heart pumping, gut renching finale. I welcome the change from Alex Cross and look forward to Lindsay's development. Well Done JP!

1st to Die (Women's Murder Club)