4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all
Published on 17 July 2011 by Jane E. Myers

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh.
The front of this book boldly proclaims "You'll never guess their secret!, You'll never forget the twist!".

Uh-huh.

Published on 3 Aug. 2011 by aikimoon

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh., 3 Aug. 2011

Uh-huh.

I had both figured out by a quarter of the way through. The book starts off promisingly enough, with some genuinely creepy moments as the stage is set. However, it soon becomes clear where all the did-I-really-see-those-things-coz-they-weren't-there-when-I-looked-back style plot devicse are heading. Once the diary entries show up the author may as well have planted a neon sign telling you the ending.

The best scenes are when the family in question stay out of sight and instead hover in the shadows as sinister shadows. Once they move to centre stage the impact is deflated by quite some way.

The main character and his family are difficult to empathise with. The shouting and yelling between husband and wife, which I assume to is meant to reflect the sinister influence of the family, is in fact irritating and comes across as soup opera like at times. The daughter and her visions could have been used more effectively and the teenaged son is just a moping pain in the arse. That said the father himself is an engaging hero who is trying to protect his family but, frustratingly, isn't used to his full potential.

Overall this is a decent enough novel with some good chills to be found and some good ideas tucked away in it, even if the author could have made more of them. It's the bold claims acrossthe front that let it down, over-hyping it and leaving the reader with the unavoidable anti-climax such proclamaitions always result in.

Not bad but by no means a must read.

1.0 out of 5 stars More disappointment from Ransom-when will I learn? (possible spoiler), 17 July 2011
This review is from: The People Next Door (Paperback)
I thought long and hard before buying this book having read 'The Birthing House' by this author and being hugely disappointed I had not read his second book but the book's cover assured me 'You will never guess their secret' and 'You will never forget the twist' so I decided I would give him another go. Could this redeem Ransom for me?? Sadly not. Yet again, the book promised much yet fell apart in a mish mash of American words,phrases and jargon which, rather than give the narrative authenticity merely grated and, after almost 500 pages the novel degenerated into a tepid vampire/zombie/who cares anyway ending.
There are moments of tension, the murderer of one victim is a surprise of sorts, but the 'unforgettable twist' just did not materialise for me. There just wasn't enough there-why and who ?? was something I kept asking myself throughout. Who were the Renders? Vampire hunters? What DID happen on the Island??? Nuclear/toxic waste is hinted at but never actually revealed. The final chapters describing a supposed 'World meltdown' were unconvincing. Much is mentioned of the various characters financial problems-so is this a worst case scenario novel for the effect of the worldwide financial slump? If this is Ransom's tilt at the current interest in 'Vampire Lit' it falls short for me. Good luck to him-he has some brilliant 'blurb' writers-but this is certainly the last time I'll be conned.

1.0 out of 5 stars Proof you should never judge a book by its cover..., 4 Jan. 2012
Jennifer "Jen" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The People Next Door (Paperback)
Mike and Amy Nash are an ordinary couple getting along with their lives with their two children, Kyle and Briela, when into the house next door move the Renders - charming and perfect in every way it would appear, however, the Renders are not at all what they pretend to be.
Mick, a man well into the third year of what he has came to think of as a total life hangover, soon learns that something is very wrong with their new neighbours, something dark and sinister leaving him wondering exactly who the Renders are and where they have came from. But more importantly, what are they hiding in the basement?
As death and darkness descend on the neighbourhood, only Mick can save his family and expose the horrifying truth about the people next door.

After reading the blurb on the cover of this book telling me I will never forget their secret and I will never forget the twist, whilst also informing me this book will be the most terrifying, unforgettable novel I'll read all year, it is no wonder I was suitably intrigued and thought this would be a good read. The dark and creepy cover adding to the effect, promising that this book will live up to all you might expect and maybe more.
Sadly if ever there was proof needed that you should never judge a book by its cover, then here it is! For I found that 'The People Next Door' certainly did not live up to the hype. I was taken in by the cover and all the blurb, but it didn't take me long to realise that this book was certainly not what it seemed. Indeed it wasn't just the Render family in the story who weren't all they appeared to be...

To be fair, the book started off quite well. Keelie Kennerly is a young girl running away from home, to meet up with friends to begin what she believes will be a better life. Keelie is trying to hitch a ride from a service area, but isn't prepared to just accept a lift from anyone. She is wary and holds out for someone she feels she will be safe with. So when married couple Dave and Sheila Galloway agree to give her a ride, Keelie feels quite safe. However, it turns out to be far from what Keelie expected as Dave and Sheila appear to change right before her eyes.

After leaving this opening chapter on a cliffhanger, the story switches to Mike Nash and his family and right away I had difficulty finding them interesting. The children, especially Kyle, held slightly more interest for me than his parents however.
After a few mudane pages about the Nash family we follow them as they embark upon a boating trip on a lake where strange things happen and this was also the point where I began to get lost.
On more than one occasion, I had to backtrack a little to see if there was something I had missed. Things didn't add up or make sense to me at times and the characters of Mike and Amy in particular did little to keep me interested. Also there was far too much mundane reading in my opinion and then when something did happen it didn't quite make sense.

I really struggled to get through this book and it was the fact that I wanted to know what the big twist would be, along with a small hope that it would all suddenly start making sense, which kept me reading it, although it took a great deal of effort on my part to do so. At no point was I gripped and the flashbacks to 'Island Living' only added to my confusion and made the story even harder to follow.
I couldn't help but think that the concept of the story wasn't a bad idea, but an author such as Stephen King for example could have done something far better with it.

The opening chapter was the most interesting part of the book for me. It drew me in but then lost significance until nearly the end. Little cryptic 'hints' for want of a better word, are dropped in throughout the book, but this didn't help to make sense of it all and I found it very disjointed. I got the feeling it was meant to add to the intrigue and make the reader eager to turn the pages, but it had the opposite effect for me and I lost count how many times I found I was asking myself what was going on?
Around halfway through, I found I couldn't care less what happened to the characters who were not developed enough nor interesting enough to care about.
Although quite gory in places, The People Next Door wasn't a scary read, the twist was very forgettable and yes I did guess their secret. As for it promising to be the most unforgettable novel I'd read all year, well I found I could forget about it very easily.

1.0 out of 5 stars sigh......, 27 Aug. 2011
This review is from: The People Next Door (Paperback)
I just want a scary book! This one was very silly and the ending was just ridiculous. How does this stuff get published? I'm so depressed I can't even raise the energy to be funny about it, just boring and awful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 25 Oct. 2011
Dr Evil (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The People Next Door (Kindle Edition)
I'm not one to give up on a book halfway through but with this one I got to page 200 and couldn't bear to carry on. It actually started as a fairly decent story with lots of mystery surrounding the strange figures appearing next door but does drag into a quite bizarre and nonsense tale that you have to suspend your belief further than normal with this ridiculous tale. The writing style is a little hard to follow at times even though the story is fairly simple. The characters are all depressing and unlikeable and I felt that I just didn't care for them at all.

I've not read a Christopher Ransom book before and I won't be reading one again. I never got to find out what the "shocking twist ending" was but to be honest, I don't even care. The People Next Door is easily the worst book I have read this year. Avoid.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, 10 Aug. 2011
This review is from: The People Next Door (Paperback)
I bought this book because I fell for the writing on the cover about how amazing the twist was....
Once I started reading the book I soon found that it was rather boring and it became a bit of a bother to read but I kept going because I wanted to find out what the twist was and how it ended. But when I got near the end I realized that I would not be impressed unless something massive happened. Which it didn't. It made no sense and was way too far fetched and silly to be any good. It was never really explained either. I thought about going back to see what I had missed but thought it wasn't worth the time and effort - it was promptly given to a local charity shop. Definitely not recommended!

1.0 out of 5 stars the people next door, 18 Aug. 2011
This review is from: The People Next Door (Kindle Edition)
totaly agree with what others are saying ! no real brains needed here to work this out ! i,m a great lover of Koontz , King , Herbert, thinking i may have found another writer along the same wavelength i was very let down . Thin plot rubbish characters no ending .

1.0 out of 5 stars Fooled by the blurb, 22 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The People Next Door (Paperback)
As I volunteer in a charity shop sorting through all the books, one of the perks of my job is that I am exposed to a lot of books and some I take home and read for myself. The People Next Door made its appearance in our shop one week ago. It was a unedited copy meant only for reviewers' eyes so just to make sure that they loved the book. Christopher has included some fun facts on this copy: "This is Christopher Ransom's most commercial book yet!" proclaims the back of the book. I started reading and the first thing that caught my eye was the sheer amount of product placement in the book. Not that I can see any of the companies or products he mentions being sponsors of this book. It was all quite strange. The second problem with this book (The unedited copy anyway) was that unfortunately, Christopher does not know the difference between 'There' and 'Their' making the same grammatical mistakes and mixups on multiple occasions. As for the actual content I found the book inconsistent hardly scary as the back of the book seems to claim.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all, 17 July 2011
This review is from: The People Next Door (Paperback)
I don't know why reviewers have such a downer on this writer. I loved The Birthing House - comparable to Stephen King in my opinion. Haunting of James Hastings - I agree it was a bit confusing, but again a good story with plenty of atmosphere. As for this one, I couldn't put it down, and think I read it in two days. He has good ideas and writes well, creating plenty of twists and chills along the way. Giver the guy a break!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 15 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The People Next Door (Kindle Edition)
Thankfully a hundred or so pages into this book I decided to read the Amazon reviews to see if maybe I was missing something and it was worth persevering with.
Sadly it seems not and I'm not alone in thinking, "how did this get published" very,very quickly.
The first chapter is promising,even though anyone who ever watched a horror movie or read any crime or horror novel will know what's about to happen by page 3.Then we meet the Nashs and very quickly the book descends into farce and B movie horror territory.It doesn't take long for the holes inn the story to appear or for it to descend into some kind of half-baked supernatural/slasher/Vampire movie mess.
Possibly toned down a bit and with proper editing it would appeal to teenagers given the current fad for horror novels but most experienced readers will I fear just find the whole thing truly awful in so many ways.

The People Next Door