Mylo Xyloto
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£3.95+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 1 September 2014
The first three of Coldplay's albums were the best in my opinion.Then came Viva La Vida which had only one good track on it.Any way back to this album - for a live album it's not that bad they are quite a good live band.If you like the new style and direction that this band is now taking then you will quite like this.For me personally, I don't really like there newer material that much,however this is a perfectly acceptable album in it's own right.The sound and production of this album is very good and there are some stand out tracks.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 18 November 2011
I really wanted to like this CD, but I'm still feeling disappointed even after listening to it a lot. Of course the music is good - I've no quibbles about "over production" (blame Brian Eno?). But with a few exceptions, they lyrics are a let down.

These are songs after all - so the words should have have some meaning on their own, and they should be interesting, and they should stand up to repetition, indeed even get better. I suspect the band may have known the lyrics were weak - there's rather too much of Chris Martin going ooh-ooh-ooh, aah-aaah, la-la-lala-la-lala and whoo-oo-oo, more noticeably so than on other CDs. Surely a classicist like him could find more inspiration?

Yes I know, many current song lyrics (even the ones worth listening too) are highly repetitive and sometimes trivial. But - call me an old fogey with justification! - songs are supposed to carry emotion, and the words should be a central part of that.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
... this album is going to have a lot of teething problems.

Firstly, as has been the way with most of Coldplay's work: The album is very much unlike their previous stuff. Don't get me wrong, the album shares many parallels with all of their previous material. However, it's different enough that fans coming here expecting a remake of [Coldplay Album Name] WILL be disappointed. Admittedly, I too had my reservations when the singles were released. But it just takes a bit of getting used to - the quality is still there, it's just a different flavour.

Secondly, the album lacks a full, out-and-out single. I'm not saying the songs are weak (far from it) - but to me, the album lacks a 'frontman' of a song. There isn't really a single song that you can use to show off to a new listener (In the way that all the previous albums had key, outstanding tracks which helped keep you listening long enough for the quality of the underrated songs to come through) Alas, there is still no contender for the global play-on-loop-50-times hit that is 'Viva la Vida'. It's a shame, because nearly all of the songs are excellent

Thirdly, as has been mentioned by others: The mixing is very heavily done and will punish high and low quality speakers alike. On the first number of listens for many songs, it feels like you're met with a solid wall of noise where the vocals sound almost muffled. As a person who's a sucker for melodies, I was fine with this after a few listens - but those are more about good lyrics might find this very off-putting (at least until they can discern what's actually being said!)

As you may have gathered then: The album needs some getting used to. It's initial feel is very bright, bold and colourful - but can also feel a bit 'brash' and 'in-your-face' at times. The good news is that it rewards patience and the overall quality of the songs are very, very high. (I can't really find any 'weak' songs on this one)

To the track listing:

1. Mylo Xyloto - A 40-second (slightly Christmassy) instrumental lead-up which perfectly introduces...
2. Hurts Like Heaven - A brilliantly Upbeat and toe-tapping intro. A tad cheesy / pop-esque, but a brilliant start to the album
3. Paradise - This is an odd one - on the first few listens, it's wishy-washy and flat. I hated it. But give it time and you're singing along to the highly infectious "Para-Para-Paradise". A very strong track
4. Charlie Brown - This one's my favourite and should particularly appeal to X&Y / Viva Fans. A delightful blend of strength and emotion. Classic Coldplay
5. Us Against the World - A nudge to their older styles. It's gentle, acoustic and very pleasant
6. M.M.I.X. - Another interlude. Not to be underestimated though, it's a perfect lead-up to what is perhaps the best-known song of this album:
7. Every Teardrop... blah blah - Overall a solid and a thoroughly enjoyable track (Still good after 100+ listens) the second half feels a bit messy with a lot of different instruments mixed in though
8. Major Minus - A dark, powerful yet quirky piece. Quite infectious as the "got one eye on the road and one on you" quickly sticks
9. U.F.O. - A bit underwhelming after some of the bigger tracks of the album, but is a lovely little acoustic piece
10. Princess of China - Coldplay and Rihanna!? I had nightmares about this one. But to their credit, they've done this one well. It's sharp, loaded with synth and Rihanna makes a superb contribution (It's ok, it's not like Lost+, you can come out from behind the sofa now)
11. Up In Flames - Personally my favourite ballad of the album. Haunting yet very beautiful
12. A Hopeful Transmission - Another 30 second interlude. Nothing special though
13. Don't Let It Break Your Heart - My least favourite. To this day I still have no idea what Chris is singing. It sounds pleasant and upbeat, but lacks the usual Coldplay edge
14. Up With The Birds - The finale to the album carries hints of 'Amsterdam' and 'Death & All His Friends'. It's nicely done but the crescendo feels more underwhelming than it could have been.

Overall, a brilliant piece of work by Coldplay that keeps their style whilst pushing the boat into new territory - just needs some breaking in
1818 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 29 October 2011
Coldplay's set at Glastonbury this summer bought home to me just how good this band are. No U2 pretence; just a bunch of guys who enjoy what they do and are very good at doing it. Whether it's Chris Martin on the piano or their fantastic drummer (who reminds me of Animal from The Muppet Show!) bouncing his drum kit off the floor. The new songs they played like 'Charlie Brown' and 'Every Tear Drop' sounded anthemic as you would expect. They were great.

So, along comes the album some 4 months later and it's certainly uplifting. 'Paradise' is catchy but not great Coldplay while aongs like 'Hurts like Heaven' are strong and catchy. Chris Martin is no great lyricist; what he does do is create a wash of sound that you know will raise the rooves on stadia around the world. So, why have I only given this new album three stars? Production in one word. This album has been produced to death by idiots who think that pushing the levers all the way to 'max' is the way to deliver a great album. On a good hi-fi this album sounds sounds like its coming out of a cheap transistor radio made in the sixties. It's distorted, there is little light and shade - jusy bombastic production which is a great shame. Can producers please stop doing this? Give us music that sounds natural rather than pushed up to the max.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 5 December 2011
It's ok and that is about it. If I had heard it playing without knowing who it was then I would never have guessed it was Coldplay. There are no memorable tracks and it is much too much over produced reminiscence of Phil Spectors wall of sound. There are no lovely ballads, maybe I've been spoilt by their classic "Fix you" which was spell binding. I did'nt hate it enough to want to stop playing it, but at the same time I certainly do not feel excited enough to play it again. As one other reviewer stated it feels as if it was rushed out to keep the army of fans happy as they will buy it anyway just as I did. Sorry lads not one of your best.
on 30 November 2011
I can't help but echoe many people's diappointment on the production of this album - shoddy, surpisingly so on an album by such an established, successful act.

The great shame of it is - this is a really, really good album and I feel enthused about Colplay once more. Still recognizably Coldplay, but sounding excitingly fresher than they've done for years and far less pretentious and trying to be clever than on their last album. 'Paradise', 'Charlie Brown', 'Up in flames' and 'Hurts like heaven' are undeniably catchy and hard not to enjoy, but volume levels do let down the latter a little. Moreover, 'Don't let it break your heart' is almost unlistenable due to all the volume levels being pushed to the max, sounding almost distorted. Once again,'Princess of China' would sound even better with some softness in sound, instead, not unlike on enjoyable 'Every teardrop is a waterfall', it blasts at you non-stop - once again a shame as the song is quite original, melodically a treat and works realy well dynamically. If you listen to this album on decent speakers - you will notice how overblown (on volume levels) the production is on so many tracks and it does marr the enjoyment a little.

I thought the trend was moving away from maxing all levels and returning to a wider range of levels that allows for a more nuanced and fuller sound?

So great album overall, but would be even more enjoyable and five stars if produced better. Although I disagree with some reviewers - I think they should explore the electronic route even further - although if this is the production he is allowing to go through, possibly it is time to bid farewell to Eno?
on 20 November 2011
I bought this on the first day of release as I was tempted by Amazon's offer to download at £3.99. I have waited a few weeks to give my opinion as I believe you need to hear an album a few times before you can really judge,
Firstly, let me say that I really am not a huge Coldplay fan. However, I have all their albums and have found them enjoyable but I would not call them my favourite band. Secondly, I have seen the comments about the quality of the sound, but to my ears the album sounds great.
I not too sure what people expect from bands that have been around a while. Do they want them to keep on churning out the same album?
I like bands to evolve over time and improve. I think with this album Coldplay have certainly succeeded in doing just that. The is an obvious departure to previous albums. It is certainly upbeat! However, it is the quality of songwriting throughout that makes it so enjoyable. The first three songs, Hurts Like Heaven, Paradise and Charlie Brown, show a very confident band at the top of their game and is the best start to an album I have heard in a long time.
That's not to say the rest of the album is not of the same quality, it is. Up In Flames is my personal favourite at the moment. But I think it is best heard in one go.
I have been playing the album a lot over the past few weeks and still enjoying it. Great album.
on 11 December 2012
Music compression!!!! Music compression!!!!

Please do not buy those badly produced CDs.

With such high compression why they don't release those songs only in mp3 and save so many CDs???
SHAME on those guys decided to go this (modern) way....

It's the same thing when you refuse a good restaurant with good food because of bad waiters....
on 30 April 2012
As a huge Cold Play fan I am dissapointed with this record. It is a pop record with a rock flavour and could have been released by the Saturdays and nobody would be supprised. However Coldplay as great song writers have come up with two half great tracks and a couple of half decent tracks on this album so its just about worth a fiver.
on 24 December 2011
There are some great songs hidden away in this noisy wreck of an album. It doesn't even sound good on an Ipod. I'm not writing this because I like spreading the bad news, just in the hope that Chris Martin is browsing and bears this in mind for the next album (or even a properly mastered future reissue?) I like Coldplay and I care about music, like everyone on here, so please no more eardum busters.