5.0 out of 5 stars Dragon 11.5
Good value and best version I've used by far. Slightly confused by changes to some commands since I last used Dragon but recognition was excellent from the beginning. Works well with a standard wireless (bluetooth) headset.
Published on 18 Nov 2011 by Clock_symphony

3.0 out of 5 stars need to stick at it
Dragon seem to have taken all of the speech to text market and they claim 99% accuracy which, when you think of it, is a mighty big claim and a mighty big ask.
Published on 16 Dec 2011 by AlanT

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Dragon 11.5, 18 Nov 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars need to stick at it, 16 Dec 2011
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium 11.5 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Does it work? Well it doesn't meet up to what is says on the box in my hands but it is getting there. I find you need to use the dictation box to prevent the application interpreting words as commands and sometimes it simple will not correct something. maybe in a few months it will be speech to text for everything but not yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good!, 24 Jun 2012
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium 11.5 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
So, in spite of the bad reviews I decided to go ahead and purchase Dragon Naturally Speaking. Yes, it does make mistakes.And yes, I am still learning all the different commands. However, it was very easy to set up and get going. I have managed to complete several reports more speedily than typing manually. The trick is to get every sentence clear in your head first and make sure you do all the tests at the beginning. I even managed to add quite a few foreign names to the vocabulary and after a while it picked them out without any problems at all. So for me, so far so good. I ordered a separate microphone, but have found so far that the one supplied has worked fine. And yes, I am dictating this review!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes - it does what it says on the packet - well, for me it does., 8 Jun 2012
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium 11.5 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I had been debating purchasing a copy of Dragon for several months. I found the notion of being able to dictate directly to my computer a most attractive prospect as I am not the fastest nor the most accurate typist in the world having had a most efficient and competent secretary for the last 35 years, up until the point when I retired. The fly in the ointment, so to speak, was the number of negative reviews that this product had received. Couple that with the rather high price of the premium edition and I did not feel disposed to make the investment in something that I was unable to test for myself prior to purchase.

A few days ago Amazon featured the Dragon premium 11.5 edition for a total price of 73 including VAT and shipping. At that price I was prepared to take the risk. The package arrived and I promptly installed it onto my computer with absolutely no difficulty whatsoever. Although Dragon comes with no manual simply a foldout Quickstart guide I found the on-screen instructions perfectly coherent and easy to follow. Being something of a methodical individual I took my time over the install and the subsequent training required for Dragon to recognise my speech pattern. At the time of dictating this review I have logged just over 18 hours using Dragon to transcribe a plethora of hand written documents onto my computer. Dragon has performed almost faultlessly save for a few minor corrections.

Now, having offered the foregoing glowing testimonial I feel that I should qualify it slightly. The computer upon which Dragon is running has a six core i7 processor, 8gig of memory and 64-bit architecture. My own style of speech is probably best described as BBC English of the old school. I suspect that on a less powerful machine and/or had I a regional dialect the story may have had a different outcome.

With the caveat that one requires a computer of appropriate capacity and the personal ability to enunciate clearly I would have no hesitation in commending this program to anyone seeking a speech to text software package for their computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars An extremely useful product, 1 April 2012
T. D. Dawson "tdawson735" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium 11.5 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Over the years my touch typing skills have, thanks to anno domini, progressively deteriorated to the point where it became sensible to investigate the use of voice dictation software.

Some years ago - and with questionable results - I'd tried a number of products so I was a little cautious about the results I could expect. Many of those earlier problems were undoubtedly attributed to the lack of power of the PC (Windows XP with 2 GB RAM) I was then using. Last summer, needing to edit video material, I'd invested in a reasonably powerful laptop (i5 processor with 4 GB RAM) running Windows 7, Outlook 2010 and Office 2010.

DragonDictate was installed on this laptop but it quickly became apparent that the headset supplied with the software was less than ideal. Experiments with using a quality microphone I use for voice-overs were, along with the laptop's inbuilt microphone, a complete failure. The answer was to invest in a quality headset which took the form of a Plantronics Audio 400 DSP Foldable PC Headset.

This combination proved ideal and, after a fairly extensive (but strangely enjoyable) exercise in training the software to recognise the peculiarities of my voice, I'm routinely achieving an extremely high degree of recognition accuracy. I'm mainly dictating (including this review) into Word 2010 although occasionally I use Outlook 2010 for e-mails. And, of course, DragonDictate automatically updates my speech profile at the end of each session.

Have there been any problems? Yes, there were a couple of occasions early on when I contacted Nuance's support people: their ability to resolve the issue quickly and efficiently was extremely impressive.

During dictation Word 2010 will, very occasionally, go to sleep for a few seconds. This is appears to be due to DragonDictate being extremely busy processing my speech and then re-paginating the document.

An excellent product well deserving the five stars.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 8th September 2012

I've just purchased a Sony ICDUX522B.CE7 Digital Voice Recorder for use with Dragon. The recorder came with a CD which, without any hassle, installed the necessary software on my Windows 7 laptop. Transfer of the voice files from the Sony recorder into this package was completely straightforward and there's even an icon that launches DragonDictate and automatically converts the speech files into a Word (or other format) document.

All I needed to do was add the Sony recorder (which is one recommended by Nuance) to my user profile and then carry out some additional training to improve the accuracy of transcription (which was pretty good without any further training).

Any, for the record, the support people at Nuance are EXCELLENT, prompt and extremely helpful.

A very useful addition to Dragon.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too slow, 6 Dec 2011
A. Jenkinson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium 11.5 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I bought this software to help me dramatically increase my productivity but have found that on installing it on a 3 month old high-spec pc that Naturally Speaking grinds to a halt about three times a day and just cannot get a few simple words no matter how many times I train it.

I think it probably has helped me to work a little faster but the fact that it gets the same words wrong all day every day just infuriates me and therefore I'm sending it back.

There is a lot of wasted time spent when using this software and if you're just looking for a general 'aid' to help save your fingers from all the typing then I guess it's ok but for someone that can type at a high speed I think that their claims that this is considerably faster than typing is just nonsense. I also didn't enjoy wearing a headset all day long, quite irritating.

They claim UP TO 99% accuracy but I guess you'll make of that what you will....up to could also mean 1% accuracy!

I can't see any difference between V11 & V10 that I bought years ago, other than nice new packaging :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, unreliable and increasingly irritating, 2 Jun 2012
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium 11.5 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
This is not a desperately good program. I first used version 11, and did the upgrade to 11.5 as soon as it was available, and I haven't been particularly impressed by either of them. When it works, the dictation is okay, with a reasonably high rate of accuracy. It still has irritating habits, like typing 'the' when I very clearly said 'a' and vice versa, and frequently adds words to sentences which I neither need nor want, and is always notably reluctant to ever type a plural: if I say 'houses', for example, usually it will type 'house is', regardless of the fact that this makes no sense in the context of the sentence, and it is supposed to have a context checker. Sometimes it's so reluctant to make a noun a plural that it even inserts the word 'a' or 'an' in front of it.

Other niggles: often it will only print a verb in the present tense. Even if I clearly say 'would', it still prints 'will', and 'have', not 'had', and so on. Frequently it fails to leave spaces between words, meaning I have to move the cursor back and insert them manually. It doesn't do this regularly, just often enough to be really irritating. It frequently deletes the first letter of a typed word, so beginning a sentence with 'But' it actually types 'Ut'. Sometimes it adds a random capital letter after a full stop. It frequently types 'stop' instead of printing a full stop.

This is one particularly nifty trick it does: frequently when I'm correcting text, it erases words, then duplicates another word or phrase and puts it in the wrong place, several words to the left of the cursor position, and sometimes in the middle of another word. Just as an example, I was trying to insert the word 'it' after the word 'wanted' in the phrase 'who wanted to remain'. I placed the cursor in the appropriate place, and dictated 'it'. The program altered the phrase to read: 'whit to remainto remain'.

Too many words are printed with initial capital letters by default. Ideally, NO words in the dictionary except undeniable proper names like 'John' should be capitalized, and the user should be able to just say 'cap' before the word if a capital is required. I get really fed up having to back-track and change these letters.

Despite turning off all the menu commands I can find, it's still not possible to disable everything. Saying 'view' in a sentence generates the View menu, not the word, 'file' the File menu and so on. There should be an overriding option to disable everything. I don't want to use the program for surfing the 'net and controlling other programs - Dragon is a dictation program, and that's all I want it to do. If they pulled some of this other rubbish out of it, it would probably be a lot better.

I can't, of course, use the add-in module with Word, because it either freezes or crashes the program. On re-start, Word confirms Dragon add-in as the problem and recommends disabling it. Other add-ins work perfectly with Word. Dragon is the only one which causes any problems. Dragon's customer support - whose motto appears to be 'all assistance short of actual help' - confirmed that the problem was definitely Word, not Dragon, and suggested I contact Microsoft for a solution.

But all that I can live with, I suppose. What I find infuriating about it is the way that if I get up from the computer to go make a cup of coffee, by the time I get back to the machine Dragon has usually forgotten who I am, and has dumped my profile. Reloading the profile does not, as one might reasonably expect, reload the profile I last saved. It reloads the profile, but insists on enabling all the useless commands that I'd previously specifically disabled because they're completely pointless for what I do, and I have to go through them all again and disable them once more. It usually also helpfully enables both the sidebar and the tips screen, neither of which I want or need, and so I have to disable those as well. And in order to save my profile and retain those changes, I have to shut down Dragon, and then restart it. I've now found the fastest way to continue working is that if I have to leave the computer for more than about thirty seconds, it's best if I shut down Dragon completely, and then restart it when I come back. Not what you might call the easiest option.

Periodically, it decides it has no idea who I am at all, and I have to go through the whole identification and dictation routine all over again, because it won't recognise any of my saved profiles. And even if it does recognise one of the profiles, it frequently tells me that the acquisition module or whatever it's called hasn't been run for that profile, and it then sits there for about twenty minutes scanning my Word files and e-mails.

About once a month, it simply stops working, generating an error message stating that it will shut down. It then dumps everything I've dictated up to that point and the program closes. It then frequently won't start again unless I restart Windows. At other times, it suddenly freezes and has to be shut down, again losing all the work which has been dictated.

In summary, this program is expensive, unreliable and really irritating, its faults far out-weighing its good points.

Just as a follow-up to the original review, as posted above, the program has now decided that it will actually forget who I am while I'm in the middle of dictation, and about every second time that I start the program it tells me that the language module, or whatever the hell they call it, hasn't been run for that profile, even if I actually ran it 5 minutes earlier. As a further refinement, while it's occupied on this entirely pointless process, if I have Word open as well, it will open up multiple copies of Word in the background, all of which have to be closed individually, because Dragon apparently tries to access the Normal.dot template for some reason.

It is probably the most infuriating piece of software I have ever used. If there was anything else on the market that would do the job I would absolutely use that in preference. I can think of no circumstances in which I would recommend this program to anyone at all, unless it was simply to drive them mad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium 11.5 (PC), 26 Mar 2012
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium 11.5 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Does what it says on the can! Easy to start using. A written manual might assist though. Good customer service from Softlab, the supplier. Arrived very quickly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware, 1 May 2013
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium 11.5 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
The disk as supplied refuses to load 8 times out of ten - on a good day! Once launched it delivers. Why trip up over such a mundane step?

1.0 out of 5 stars Talking rubbish, 19 Mar 2013
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium 11.5 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Not very good, have had much better. This was very dissapointing and totally useless, and they would not even give me my money back.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium 11.5 (PC)
Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium 11.5 (PC) by Nuance Communications, Inc. (Windows 2003 Server / 7 / Server 2008 / Vista / XP)
Used & New from: 46.00