4.0 out of 5 stars Good product - rubbish mounting
Very happy with the DVD element of the order. They work as described and dispite other reviews about ease of access to the DVD, they are very simple to open.

Published on 20 Feb 2012 by Gyja

3.0 out of 5 stars look nice, but sound volume is very disappointing
Published on 26 Dec 2011 by B. G. Willis

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product - rubbish mounting, 20 Feb 2012
This review is from: Nextbase NB49AC / SDV49AC Twin 9-inch Portable DVD Players with Car Kit and Integrated Battery (Electronics)

What is terrible, is the velcro mount. I own a Vauxall (Zafira) which has a tapered headrest. The mounting supplied will NOT fit this headrest. I have friends that own the 7 inch version of this TV/DVD player and due to the size, fit's nicely, but this larger version, dispite many hours of trying to get this to work, just fails. It is just to wide. :(
I damaged the flimsy headrest mount in trying to get this this to fit no luck. I broke out other bits of velco, string, tap, welding torch - Well the last one is a lie ;) in an attempt to fix this problem as I needed to use the DVD players that weekend (Hence the next day delivery). So real choice but to use the players just resting on the laps. It was either that or think of a plan B for the 3 children after I told them they could watch DVD's in the car.

Also the Velcro mount covers about 60% of the puney speakers. The sound is OK when not in the mounts, but really poor with the mount on. The velcro mounts are stitched to a nylon covered piece of cardboard. This is very weak. I know this as I tried to add extra tension on the overhead strap (My mistake) and the stitches came away from the cardboard, rendering the entire thing useless. In my defence, I was not a "Bull in a Family car", but was told by several friends that recommended the Nextbase brand who also own Zafiras, that it fits well on the headrest and the DVD is good. I just thought it was me being a spanner in not being able to fit the velcro mounts. It was only a few days later I twigged that they all had the 7 inch versions ;o(

To remedy this: I have just purchased DURAGADGET 7 to 10 inch Car holder with expandable sides quick release for In car DVD players including the Philips PET range which I hope with solve this issue for me. The size of devices that this mount can hold look about right with the specification of the DVD player. Will review when I have fitted it.

More about the TV/DVD side.
Screen: 8/10
DVD/CD/Audio Formats (Divx and the like): 8/10
OSD - Menus: 4/10
USB/MC: 9/10
Features: 9/10 (Has a input on each monitor to allow sharing of one DVD to both screen. If it can take one input from another monitor there is no reason why I can not use this input to connection something external to the DVD players, like a PC and build a Mame PC to allow them to play games on TV's - that's my next project)

BTW: to use this mirror feature do not search the device for a switch, there is not one, you need to use the remote control. There is a single button although it's name escapes me right now. It's in the manual though.

Battery use: 9/10
Charge time: 8/10
Manual: 5/10 (All the information is there, but can not find it in a hurry. Liken it to when you want to show a friend a article in a new paper/magazine ;o) )
Dirt arraction level: High. Glossy plastic finish to some part.

Mounts: 0/10

######
Stand: functional
Remote control: 3/10 Works but hate the thought of loosing functionality due to a lost remote.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased, 21 July 2012
S. Cresswell (Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I specifically chose the "twin" Nextbase DVD players because they allow you to either play different DVDs in each unit or to daisy-chain the units together and play a single DVD on both screens. The in-car kit means I don't worry about pre-charging the battery, and thankfully the velcro mounts work reasonably well on our Lexus RX300 headrests. I say "reasonably well" because they are a little awkward to strap on (which makes it hard to restart DVDs from the front seat if your kids aren't old enough to do it by themselves), and prevents changing discs while the units are secured. I'm also concerned that they might break loose in the event of an accident. Consequently I'm going to investigate the alternative mounting options mentioned by other reviewers. The velcro straps do cover the speakers, but I've not noticed the problems with the sound quality or volume also mentioned. The picture quality is good, if a little grainy close up. One thing I hadn't anticipated - since the DVD players work very well both in and out of the car, I'm now sick to death of Fireman !$% Sam.

3.0 out of 5 stars look nice, but sound volume is very disappointing, 26 Dec 2011
B. G. Willis "willis" (coventry) - See all my reviews
I bought these dual screen DVD players for our 3 kids to keep them amused on car journeys. They really look nice and are fairly well made. Unfortunately the sound is so quiet, even on maximum, that it renders them completely useless in a car without buying additional headphones. The stereo speakers which are built in are just a design feature really and if the car engine is running it drowns out the tiny sound that they make. This is really disappointing as I was under the impression that nextbase was a good band. I had previously bought a technika (tesco own brand) DVD player which had far superior sound to this model. Now I will have to shell out for headphones for all 3 of my kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent !, 30 Dec 2011
Great screen with a good contrast !
The trips are in peacefull mode with my children.

Very good products. Nextbase is excellent logo.

5.0 out of 5 stars CAR JOURNEYS SO PEACEFUL, 6 Oct 2013
My 10 and 5 yr olds love them. Took on long car journey and after playing eye spy and other car games, watched dvd. No 'are we there yet' or arguments - wonderful. Each plays its own film or can play same. Also useful to take indoors for that much needed 'down time' at end of day.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent value but poor sound quality, 16 Nov 2012
Having read the other reviews, decided to go ahead. Overall, decent value for the money - the resolution isn't amazing, but then it doesn't really need to be for the job it's doing. I had no issues with it fitting the headrest (Audi A4), and it was quick & easy to set up, attach & remove. What stops it getting 4 stars is the sound - at max volume, you can listen to it whilst stationary, but as soon as you start driving, the road noise drowns it out. The earphones provided kept falling out of the kids ears so were no use - I used an extra set of speakers to make it louder, which worked just fine - over the top of head headphones would also work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Portable DVD Players, 10 Dec 2011
ColChris (Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
Fitted players in car to keep my grand daughter occupied and they were a great hit with her. The twin players were easy to fit to the back of the headrests and the wiring was simple with the easy to follow instructions. Playback was good and even on uneven roads the players continued to play faultlessly. A real pleasure to take children on a long trip without them becoming bored. Can't wait until they can drive so I can sit in the back and watch a DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good child controller in travel, 23 July 2012
Is easy to install, kids love it. It comes with a twin car cigarette lighter charger. Best part is you can attach to AUX input of your car which uses the car surround speakers, I had to use the an additional cable which was available in pound shop. The same DVD can be played on both screens with the provided cable as well as a different DVD on each (but one has to use a head-phone or not be bothered from the neighbour's audio). All wires are long enough & can be easily hidden under the mats.

The only problem with this product is the seat straps to hold it. It is not universal for the seat head-rest. You will be lucky to get a cylinder shaped head-rest for your car which I haven't seen yet, but it is manageable by doing some manipulations. Even it does not give a good picture view if it is strapped directly behind the seat head-rest. Its better hanging below the head-rest which gives a good view.

As my kids are not allowing me to remove it after the journey & even you won't always have time remove each & every cable & unhook from the straps. I have placed the sun screens to the back windows which keeps it out of sight of thieves.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product Sound volume could be better, 22 April 2012
The Duragadget 7 to 10 inch Car Holder with Expandable Sides and Quick Release for In-Car DVD Players including the Philips PET Rangearrived via next day deliver and was on time so was very pleased as we were going on a long car journey the following day.

I did have a problem at first with the velcro mounts as my vauxhall corsa has a tapered headrest so the dvd players would not be fastened on right.. but this problem was easily solved by cris- crossing the straps over the headrest so they fitted nice and tightly.

As i have seen on a previous review i also bought the Duragadget 7 to 10 inch Car Holder with Expandable Sides and Quick Release for In-Car DVD Players including the Philips PET Range. But they didn't arrive in time for me to use them on this journey.

I do have an issue with the remote control's because you need these to change between playing a seperate dvd on each players to the same one on each and there more easier to loose and a extra button on the dvd player's themselves would be a much better design.

The screen play itself is very good quality and well worth paying a little extra for than some of the similar models to this.

The pack came with headphones but i bought extra ones that cover all the ear and im really glad i did because the ones in the pack weren't very good at drownding out the rest of the noise in the car.

I disagree with some of the other reviews on here that mention the dvd players are hard to change on a journey, even for a six year old and a eleven year old it was very simple, i would say however that when the player's are opened to put in a new dvd they only open a little bit and if the kids don't know they can force them down too much and brake the hinges.

All in all i am very pleased with this kit i think price wise its spot on and keeping the kids entertained on a long journey is priceless i have also bought a 12v adapter for my xbox 360 so they can plug it into their dvd screens and can play that too.

Would highly recommend buying a SD card and putting movies on that too to save hassle with dvd's all over the car.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best products I have ever bought, 8 April 2014
These are perfect for my granddaughters when we go on long journeys. I also recently used them when I was in hospital for a few days just after I received them and my wife was in a hotel nearby. We both could watch dvd's well into the night as we don't sleep that well.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›