4.0 out of 5 stars Great mp3 player.
I wanted an mp3 player with bluetooth and SD card support, this filled both requirements.
-it's a tad chunky, but it's still pretty darn thin.
-the SD card support isn't integrated, every time you turn it on it scans the entire SD card just to let you browse the folders anyway, by the time I'm halfway home it's finished scanning my 32GB microSD
Published 7 months ago by Andrew K

3.0 out of 5 stars Handle with care
Published on 12 May 2012 by Mr D Thomson

3.0 out of 5 stars Handle with care, 12 May 2012
Mr D Thomson (Stockport, Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Creative Zen Style M100 8GB Touch MP3 Player - Black (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
This MP3 player is as temperamental as it is frustrating. Sometimes the scroll action freezes and just a slight touch can suddenly change the programme format, forcing you to load up the relevant artist-album all over again. Strangely, every time I put it on, it repeats the last song which was playing when last used. Thankfully, the lock action stabilises the use of the MP3 player - so much so you can't use the volume control. On the plus side, it's easy to use and navigate and the sound and battery life are both extremely commendable. But, handle with care.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wholly unsatisfactory; a step backwards from previous models, 31 Dec 2011
As a previous user of a wonderful V series Zen which finally crashed and died, I have struggled with this product.

If anything its user interface, while very, very similar to my old V series, is even more basic. I'm surprised because I'd expected it to have advanced a great deal, certainly not into a retrograde monochrome display. Play modes (play all/repeat/shuffle etc.) are nowhere near as intuitive to find and set as the V series, and accidentally selecting the wrong one is very easy. As a result my listening is interrupted several times by it hopping about randomly to different songs, or stopping altogether. The 'Add to Selected' functionality, which allowed me to dynamically create playlists on the fly, appears to be missing completely, and while the 'Most Popular' functionality lists my most popular songs, it is missing the details menu that told me how often they'd been listened to. I used both of these features a great deal and am not happy that they're gone.

In addition, the touchscreen-style controls are unresponsive and inconsistent, sometimes responding to a single touch-press of a control, other times requiring several touch-presses before it registers a response. Scrolling up and down lists is therefore a very frustrating experience. The lack of proper buttons also means that I have to take it out of my pocket every time I want to select something; the wonderful little 'joystick' on my V series, plus the proper buttons, meant I could simply give it a flick and operate it by hand without removing it from my pocket. And it operates so slowly, flashing up several 'please wait' messages at the simplest of operations (e.g. playing a song) whereas my V series just didn't do this.

Avoid at all costs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable M100, 6 Mar 2012
I purchased two of these in August 2011. One has worked the other stopped working in October of the same year. Contacted the manufacturer as suggested in Amazon terms and they did not want to know. Amazon, on the otherhand, were exemplary and replaced the item after explaining the manufacturers attitude. Alas the replaced item stopped working in January 2012. This item has proved very unreliable and having, in effect, only one out of three that actually work I would advise any likely purchaser to look at a different manufacturer. Amazon have now issued a total refund thus keeping a customer, Creative are despicable avoid their products.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 2 Aug 2012
I got this because I wanted a decent mp3 player that wasn't an ipod and didn't require proprietary software, as I have had terrible issues in the past getting an ipod to work with my Ubuntu laptop. I needed something that could handle playlists, as I intended to use it for dance teaching to avoid having to drag my laptop around for music. Unfortunately, I have never been able to get playlists to work on it despite hours of googling, as all of the user documentation is useless (basically just says to use Windows Media Player, which I don't have, there was no info on file formats supported etc, and I had to install special software just to be able to read the user docs). I can only conclude that playlists will only work if you're using certain specific Windows music software.

It did sort of work as a music player for a while, but was always very slow to do anything at all, and if I tried to browse music or do anything else whilst it was playing then the music would start jerking and skipping. However, recently I filled it up to its maximum capacity. Since then, it has refused to play at all, instead repeating a message about the disk being full. I tried removing some files, and it made no difference. Then I tried removing all the music from it to start from scratch. But now, when I try to add files to it I just get an error message "Error creating directory: No space left on device", despite it being apparently empty.

In conclusion, it has never worked well, the documentation is crap, and now it's totally broken, having barely been used due to its general crapness. This is probably the most frustrating and disappointing piece of technology I've ever owned.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great mp3 player., 29 Jan 2014
-it's a tad chunky, but it's still pretty darn thin.

1.0 out of 5 stars Regret This Purchase - Poor Advert for Zen, 22 July 2013
M. Edwards - See all my reviews
This MP3 player has good battery life and the sound quality is OK - apart from that I don't like it and regret this purchase.
Firstly the positives: 1) Very compact 2) Battery seems to last very well 3) Sound quality reasonable 4) Can drag/drop from my Mac as player appears as mass storage 5) Can add extra 32Gb using MicroSD.
And the negatives: 1) Difficult to use one-handed as touchscreen not easy to use with thumb 2) Cannot read title when white cover art shown as no shadow behind text 3) Music on SD does not appear in music library so has to be navigated by file name though a separate menu 4) Very few customisation options e.g. cannot set clock as screensaver 5) Unable to use Playlists as I use a Mac and this requires Windows Media

UPDATE 31/0713
After 10 days of regular freezes and erratic behaviour, plus the inconvenience of not being able to access the SD card from the music player I returned this to Amazon - their customer service was excellent and I received a full refund that I have put towards the purchase of a much better MP3 player!

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute rubbish, 13 July 2013
Arrived promptly. But downhill from there. Charged it up, up loaded the tunes and then it jammed and wouldn't allow me to access or play. Sent it straight back, not happy at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good!!, 27 Jun 2013
Its awesome MP3 player! A lot of battery life, stable, small! The menu is very easy to use and connects to PC automatically without drivers etc.

1.0 out of 5 stars very disappointing, 31 Dec 2012
I got this because I'm not an Apple fan and have fond memories my Zen Micro that was stolen a few years back. Sadly this seems to have taken all the annoying things about ipods (the need to sync with media player rather than drag and drop files from windows etc) and not retained any of the good bits - not being able to upload nor create playlists was particularly frustrating, as was the fact that if you listen to files on the micro SD it doesn't retain your place so you always go back to the beginning of the files when you switch it back on. So no good for podcasts / audiobooks. I thought a benefit was that I could use it as a USB device with my car stereo, but after two times of that the device died completely.

2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid Creative Zen Style M100 as it doesn't last a year, 9 Jun 2013
I've had two of these, first lasted 10 months freezing and only providing Mono output, second one ok so far. I wouldn't recommend this product as it is flawed and I bought it before anyone reviewed it on Amazon and if I was to go through the buying process I wouldn't buy it again. Would have given 1 star, but Amazon's excellent customer service quickly replacing the faulty item meant an additional star was given so 2 out of 5 !