5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly entertaining
`The Basement' intrigued from the very start - so much so I read it in one day. Well written, as you would expect from a bestselling author of this calibre, the sequence of events holds the reader's attention from start to finish.
I certainly did not see the twist at the end coming.
Published on 28 Dec 2010 by Midnight

2.0 out of 5 stars Bit too graphic for me
Published on 15 Feb 2011 by Victor Meldrew Mk2

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly entertaining, 28 Dec 2010
Midnight - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I certainly did not see the twist at the end coming.
I felt the balance was just right for a novella as the story doesn't have the abruptness of a short story but at around 40,000 words was long enough for the characters to gain sufficient depth without the complexities of a detailed novel.
Over the years I have read and thoroughly enjoyed many books written by Stephen Leather, especially the Dan Shepherd series. `The Basement' certainly did not disappoint and I will continue to look out for this author's work.
Excellent value reading at under £1.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever, gripping read., 16 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Basement (Paperback)
I received this book in the mail this morning, sent to me by Stephen Leather himself. I have read it in a day as it is a short story. I was gripped from page one, right from the start as he cleverly changed from one scene to another. I have read The Bestseller and have read reviews that this one was very similar, I did not think so, The Bestseller is mentioned often in it but that is where, for me, the similarity ends. As someone mentioned the characters quickly become known to you and as I was lead by this very clever author, took an instant dislike to Turner. Without giving the story away, buy this book, read it and you will enjoy it, I couldn't turn the pages fast enough and as for the ending, well I didn't see that coming, what a way to end it. Sheer brilliance Mr Leather, well done and keep them coming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good short read, 10 Sep 2011
Excellent short read.
Other reviews have commented on the graphic sex and violence but I feel that Leather has minimised the descriptions that are an essential part of the story.
Nicely written, but the story could have been enhanced and made into a full length novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, HIGHLY RECCOMEND, 23 Oct 2011
I purchased a kindle very recently, with the intention of continuing my infatuation with reading biographies. This book appeared as a recommendation owing that i had purchased a rebus novel on impulse. I was tempted by the price first of all and then the fact it had generally encouraging reviews. I began reading immediately after download, curious to see the form this apparent graphic novel was going to take. My plan was to read a few pages then commit it to the "maybe read later virtual library". OMG (sorry i hate text speak), did this book made me appreciate the term page turner?

Not being used to the genre i was surprised how i visualised and empathised with the charachters with no recapping neccesary. Considering the subject matter this book carried me along at pace desperate to reach resolution whilst enjoying the journey of the lead charachter. The book is fantastic and cant wait to start the "bestseller" which was recomended on completion of the basement.

4.0 out of 5 stars Short, but gripping - and yes, the ending is terrific, 23 Sep 2011
My first Kindle ebook purchase - and a worthwhile one. A shorter, novella-type story, but gripping from the word go. I love the two different first-person narratives that drive the book and the question it inevitably raises as to who is the identity of the kidnapper. A small cast of characters makes this really work. I found the "writer" narrative particularly intriguing.

Reviews here are very divided on the ending. Good? Bad? Terrible? Fitting? I humbly suggest that a lot of the people who didn't like it are the kind who read a thriller like this and want/need that last scene where detectives sitting around sipping coffee saying "so, that's how it all happened: A did this to B, then C did that, and finally we were left at D. All wrapped up, perfectly, tune in next week folks!".

Well, this ending isn't for those people. It's short, sharp and brutal - I also suggest that some people don't like it because they JUST DIDN'T SEE IT COMING, yet when you reread, it's clear that the author has not misled or inaccuratly portrayed something. Our minds just "assume" and fill in blanks to parts of the narrative which are later cleverly subverted.

This is a dark piece; it isn't a "feel good" tale. But it IS a terrific read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I could not guess the ending, 14 Feb 2012
K. J. Marriott (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Basement (Kindle Edition)
And that's why I thought this book was brilliant. It was fast paced and kept me on the edge for its entirety. A twisting plot with believable characters. Another great Leather book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping read!, 14 Feb 2012
Mark Mckay (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Basement (Kindle Edition)
I purchased this as one of my first kindle books and I found it hard to put down. The storyline revolves around the police hunt for a serial killer in New York and a screen writer who becomes the prime suspect for two detectives on the trail of the murderer. As we read more about what the serial killer is doing it is hard to decide if the police are right in their suspicions and the screenwriter is actually the murder. I found this story to be gripping and a very easy read although I found the screenwriter to be an arrogant kind of guy and didn't really feel any sympathy for him at all even though the police try all kinds of nefarious means to catch him out! I didn't find the story particularly violent as some reviewers have mentioned but each to their own. I would definitely recommend giving this story a read!

2.0 out of 5 stars Bit too graphic for me, 15 Feb 2011
Victor Meldrew Mk2 "stefan morawiec" (Dorset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I read part of this book which I purchased for my Kindle after reading the trial. I must admit to not being a prude and the elements of the book that I read were well written, however, I have never been a fan of books which portray graphic violent sex, so after the first such graphic episode I decided to cease reading this book. I suppose I was pretty naive as the synopsis indicated it as much.

Many others have thoroughly enjoyed this book and I level no critiscism at them in this regard. But if you, like me, do not like reading a book which has pretty graphic kidnap and violent sex contained within it I would suggest that you avoid this one and seek something a little more sedate.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Basement by Stephen Leather, 14 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Basement (Paperback)
I was pulled into this book from the start it is fast paced and kept me turning right till the end. I love the Jack Nightingale books and this was wriitten in the same high standards. If you like books with a darker atmosphere and a billiant twist at the end this one is for you just make sure you try the Nightingale series. I have rated this book 5 stars and for the price is a bargin to boot.

5.0 out of 5 stars You've done it again Stephen!!, 14 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Basement (Kindle Edition)
Had this title on pre order for kindle. The day it came out i finnished it and you know what? i genuinly did not expect the ending. Well done Stephen, look forward to your next book. Anything less than 5 stars is a travesty.

The Basement