5.0 out of 5 stars PLEASE STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE
Published 15 months ago by The Movie Guy

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange film
One of those films you watch uncomfortably for most of the time.
Has some funny moments, but not a laugh out loud film.
Published 22 months ago by Mr. James W. Nash

5.0 out of 5 stars PLEASE STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE, 10 Sep 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Horrible Bosses [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
Three friends have horrible bosses. For one reason or another they are stuck at their jobs. Nick works for Kevin Spacey who is a ridiculous driver and badgers Nick when he is 2 minutes late. Kurt works a chemical company. His new boss is a coke head who sees the business as an ATM machine and wants to run it into the ground. When he says he wants to "trim the fat" that means he wants to fire fat people. Dale, who is engaged, is a dental assistant to Jennifer Aniston, who wants to have sex with him. Even his close friends have trouble believing that is a problem.

Kurt claims killing his boss, who wants to dump waste on the proverbial poor Bolivians would save lives and that they have a moral duty to kill their boss. Jennifer Aniston develops a comical potty mouth in this film, one that makes Madonna sound like Mother Teresa.

After some very brief soul searching our trio decides life would be better without their bosses. However getting to that point is not easy. The movie takes some unexpected twists. The role of Dale (Charlie Day) was clearly written with Zach Galifianakis in mind. In spite of that, this was still an excellent movie. Good laughs, and an enjoyment to see Aniston as "R" rated.

F-bomb, crude sex talk (mostly by Aniston)

5.0 out of 5 stars Bateman, Day and Sudekis combine with style, with some excellent performances from the supporting cast., 17 Dec 2014
This review is from: Horrible Bosses - Triple Play (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy) [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
There is a lot to like about this film. What drew me to it individually was the 3 leads. I'm a great fan of Bateman and his excellent comic timing, despite his Hollywood stigma. And then there's the always excellent Arrested Development. Then there's Day, who I could watch all day. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is something I stumbled on bored one afternoon on Netflix. I now recommend it to everyone. Finally, Sudekis seems to me like someone who flirts with that Hollywood lifestyle, but always has these random cameo's and roles in various TV shows and films that demonstrate how good a comic actor he is.

Together those 3 to not disappoint. They all play to their strengths, and they work exceptionally well. Comic timing is excellent, the story is wacky (Foxx by the way, is terrific), and the bosses add to it all. Farrell and Spacey play to their strengths, albeit an even wackier version of some of their typical characters, but Aniston really impressed me. I'm not really a fan of her films, but she played this role so well.

With that strong a cast, on that good form, it's hard not to generate a few laughs. It's barely relatable, but it doesn't try to be, hence I would definitely recommend it! It won't be for everyone, but it was for me!

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange film, 2 Feb 2013
Mr. James W. Nash (Black Notley, UK) - See all my reviews
One of those films you watch uncomfortably for most of the time.
Has some funny moments, but not a laugh out loud film.

2.0 out of 5 stars really lame. I tried to laugh and I gave one ..., 3 Sep 2014
Mr. Ou Chinyere-ezeh (UK) - See all my reviews
Just was really, really lame. I tried to laugh and I gave one star because I remember laughing at least once. I stopped this movie before it got to the end. I think it might have been trying to do a Pineapple Express (which I actually found hilarious) but just really lamed out.

1.0 out of 5 stars This film is nasty, 16 Dec 2014
Yet more misogynistic nasty drivel bandaged up in "comedy". The two male bosses are exaggerated versions of types we may probably recognise in one way or another but Jennifer Anniston's character is appalling. This is a classic version of the game "Let's pretend to make the woman powerful and behave like a man would in that situation so that women can't complain while what we are really doing is continuing to portray women as unprofessional and sex starved". Of course, there is the usual response of the other men wishing they were being sexually harassed...yawn. Do film makers really think we are that stupid? As another reviewer said, the idea had huge potential and in the right hands this could have been a superb film.

1.0 out of 5 stars horrible film, 5 Aug 2014
Started OK and then descended into filler jokes for a limp plot. Good cast, but I was bored by the time we reached the middle of the movie. I then realised that the none of the characters were believable or likable. Kevin Spacy was enjoyable to watch, but by the end of the movie, he morphed into the rest of the cast, which weren't very interesting. The plot was just plain stupid. Not funny stupid. Just plain stupid. The plot felt tired, not even the unfunny alibiing could not save it. I don't think anyone wanted to save it. They are likely to want to forget it. I do.

Probably funny for the actors making the movie, for the rest of us? Painful.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money, 16 Oct 2014
This review is from: Horrible Bosses [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
While I love Jennifer Aniston, and bought this movie on the strength of that love, I wish she'd read scripts and choose decent films before agreeing to do them. This was well-nigh unwatchable nonsense.

3.0 out of 5 stars Uneven, 31 Oct 2012
Charles Vasey (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Horrible Bosses [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
This is certainly not 9 to 5 in which the horrible boss was skewered by his three employees. It lacked the believability and acting ability of the earlier film. The three horrible bosses were very well played but I found the three leads weak, and the high-pitched one a total pain. Indeed, the quality of the big name supporting cast really shows up the leads. I can see the attempt to be like Hangover (one serious, one Lothario, and one nutter) but the plan failed in the execution. What saves matters is that this becomes a comedy of excruciation. Our heroes cannot do anything without it rebounding in the most horrible fashion possible.

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 1 April 2014
This film was so boring that after 40 minutes we all lost the will to see any more of this pants movie and put American Dad on instead.
Honestly if you enjoy a good film, with a good plot and some new funny ideas, then this is not the film for you.
I gave it an extra star as Jennifer Aniston does wear some very nice outfits!

3.0 out of 5 stars Missed The Spot, 22 Nov 2011
The premise of this movie was quite good, as most of us have had days at work when we have been taken to the "attitude clinic" or a run in with the manager and feel like murdering them! The movie had the potential to be a much darker version of "Office Space" but unfortunately failed to deliver.

Part of the problem is the characterisation. Of the bosses, only Kevin Spacey's "bullyboy" manager really hit true. Jennifer Aniston's cougar act as a female dentist preying on male staff and customers alike was just too OTT, as was Colin Farrell's Les Grossman alike. The most irritating part was however Charlie Day's hyper and chatty dental assistant, he just ruined the film for me. It became apparent fairly early on that the bulk of the movie was going to be all talk, with very little action or progression towards actually bumping off the antagonists.

As other reviewers have mentioned, the movie is quite crude in places. I'm no prude but it seemed to me whenever the plot was sagging a bit, they gave Jennifer Anniston a few dirty lines or F-bombs to titillate male viewers used to seeing her in more demure roles.

On reflection it was probably worth a rental but not a permanent place in the collection.

Horrible Bosses - Triple Play (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy) [Region Free]