4.0 out of 5 stars Compact, light, quite fast, and good HD screen
Published on 12 Nov. 2011 by Peter Clifton

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Samsung
Extremely disappointed by Samsung Notebook RV-520 and after-sales service.

I bought it as Christmas present for my daughter on the strength of its positive reviews but it suffered a major malfunction involving a serious crash and complete loss of data after less than two weeks.

The machine was being used offline to type up a project on a word...
Published on 11 Jan. 2012 by Sunny Jim

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact, light, quite fast, and good HD screen, 12 Nov. 2011
Peter Clifton "Guitar/amp junkie" (W Sussex UK) - See all my reviews
My old Dell 17" laptop was getting v slow and kept crashing, so when I was recommended this machine by a source I respect, I went for it. Generally very pleased with it, good screen definition, quite quick, does all I need. Being very old, I find it tiresome to have to learn the new wrinkles in the latest windows format, but 7 is MUCH better than Vista, and easier to use IMO.It comes with a limited version of M/S office which is totally adequate for my use.I don't notice the smaller screen in an adverse way, except to note the battery last much longer on this machine. I'd probably get it again if this one was pinched.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Buy, 21 Nov. 2011
bought this as my last laptop an acer travelmate (lasted only 2 years) packed up never buy acer again.
it is fast sleek and nice and easy to set up and use
keyboard is great
sound and vision is excellent with the surround sound and widescreen make sport and films enjoyable to watch
wifi is very fast couldnt ask for more
great price too at £385 and £50 samsung cashback so £335 for a top laptop is amazing value.
webcam is great quality verey clear and doesnt freeze or jerk around
Amazon as usual very quick delivery and im a very happy customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks and feels high quality, 19 Oct. 2011
Amazon Customer (Onchan, Isle of Man United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I've had this computer for a week. It looks good in silver and black and has a satisfying feel of quality. It looks and feels like a more expensive machine. The lid has a fine rib finish which cuts down on finger marks but which I suppose could collect dirt in time. It comes with a Samsung Recovery Media DVD on which it says that it contains a 64 bit version of the operating system. By default the setup process will create two user partitons, C and D, but offers you the alternative of setting just one. Of course there are also system and recovery partitions. There is some Samsung bloatware but it isn't intrusive as, apart from shortcuts, nothing will come on screen unless you ask for it. So far the performance has been good for a general purpose home computer. I've not used very demanding programmes like high speed games. At first I found the flat keys a bit awkward but they are fine once you get used to them. I've only given four stars because of a few minor niggles. The display on my computer had a red hue which I've had to adjust in Windows 7 (though the screen is bright and clear once adjusted). The charging/full charge light is so tiny that it can only be seen at very close range. None of this would have put me off buying the Samsung and I'd buy again knowing what I now know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung RV520, 6 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Samsung RV520 15.6 inch Laptop (Intel Core i3 2310M 2.1GHz, RAM 6GB, HDD 750GB, DVD SuperMulti DL, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit) - Black/Silver (Personal Computers)
Have just bought the RV520 to replace a broken Phillips (it was awful) and an ageing Dell (it still works). Ordered on Monday, delivered before lunch on Tuesday, and it is stunning. The keyboard is nicely spaced out, so easy to type on. The graphics are superb and the screen looks so sharp it is just great to look at. Only had it for a few hours now, but cannot stop using it. If your buying a laptop, under £500, and unsure as what to get, then this is a good choice. Have no reservations about it at all.

Samsung RV520 15.6 inch Notebook (Intel Core i3 2310M 2.1GHz, RAM 6GB, HDD 750GB, DVD SuperMulti DL, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit) - Black/Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far, Very Good., 8 Jan. 2012
I purchased the Samsung RV520 around 5 weeks ago and so far I have been very pleased with it. The setting up procedure was very easy. Just follow the on-screen prompts and you get there in the end without any problems. There is very little in the way of bloatware installed. There is an on screen user guide and a Samsung update program, both of which I have left in place but will probably delete eventually as I am a fairly confident and competent user. Also pre-installed is the Microsoft Office 2010 starter which consists only of Word and Excel. This is enough for me as I normally use Serif Page Plus for desktop publishing and Photo Plus for photograph manipulation.

The casing of the laptop is lightly ribbed and so there is no problem with fingerprints.
The keyboard is well spaced and surprisingly easy to type on. The touch pad though is a different matter. I have never found a laptop with a touchpad that I am happy with. This one is no exception. As delivered it has a mind of it's own, zooming and scrolling all over the place with the lightest touch. Happily this can be cured by making adjustments in the control panel where 'Elan Touchpad' appears under the Mouse heading and a whole range of alterations can be made to suit individual likes and dislikes.

The screen is glossy but I have had no problems with reflections from the surface. The colour rendering is fine for me but if anyone is unhappy with it again there is a full range of colour adjustments available.
Battery life is not a problem so far as I can see. It improves after a couple of charges gives me just over three hours. I would advise anyone with any laptop not to keep it plugged into the mains. Batteries need to work in order to preserve their ability to hold a charge and those that are kept plugged into the mains will not last long in this respect.

As supplied the RV520 has 4GB of memory installed in one of the two slots available. Novatech offer a good price on DDR3 memory and I fitted another 4GB soon after purchase. This is fairly straightforward but a great deal of care has to be taken over removing the trap door on the underside to gain access to the memory slots. It is a roughly L shaped panel held by only one screw and a lot of plastic lugs. Roughly handled these lugs would break easily. Patience is needed.

As regards inputs an outputs, there are three USB2and a full set of other interfaces for VGA, HDMI and network cable. There is also an SD card reader slot and input for external microphone and speakers.
All in all a very satisfying laptop that has given no trouble thus far. If I have any further thoughts on it I will add them at later date.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best deal for sub £400 laptop, 6 Jan. 2012
Yus (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Having given my new Vaio to my sis, I found myself having to look for a laptop quickly for uni work and was bit short of cash. After researching long for my new laptop, Asus was out having had so many mishaps with them, so was Acer only contenders left was Toshiba, Samsung and Lenovo. The Toshiba and Lenovo did not look that appealing to me and the Toshiba appered to have loads of bloatware like an app for controlling the wifi and so on.

I settled for the Samsung RV520 with the 4gb Ram and 500gb HDD and paid £399 for it. I was surprised by its speed when doing the initial setup and even more surprised of the fast start system, which is press the power button and it goes off but press it again and you are within 3 seconds back to your desktop. It has a sufficient amount of usb port and even an HDMI port.

It is sufficient for uni work, word processing, browsing and streaming movie (it even cope with iplayer hd shows perfectly). The keyboard is very responsive and got used to the separate numpad rather quickly though I would have preferred a keyboard without it. I managed to get 4.30hrs from the battery with the laptop on silent mode and doing some word processing and streaming a youtube playlist but on average with full brightness and wifi off I could be watching a 2.30hr long DVD.

However, something that you may find unpleasant is that if you don'y have the battery attached to it, you will have to press the power button 4 to 5 times to switch it on. As I found out but this is resolved once you have the battery attached to it, I had it removed as I use it mostly at my desk.

Finally, the lid is made of ridges which keeps finger print away and the matte silver interior is so nice having previously had glossy palm rest which makes it look so dirty after a days work.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good desktop replacement, 8 Jan. 2012
I bought this laptop as a replacement for my parents ageing desktop machine. Both use it for basic emailing, web browsing, storing photos but wanted something a little smaller.

The keys work well, spaced out better than most laptops (the same keyboard setup as my Samsung netbook).

The screen and sounds are also very high quality for the price.

Windows 7 is fast and smooth, and the pre-loaded version of Office works well enough despite being the free version with ads on the side.

1 area to remember when purchasing is this isnt the latest model, so as well as getting a low price, the system will also have plenty of Windows updates to install during the first few weeks of use. Be prepared for a few reboots and slight slow-down while all the upddates are downloaded, but dont let it put you off.

I use the machine with basic theme settings and only keep essential software installed to keep it running tip-top.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking laptop, 10 Dec. 2011
This is my sons laptop for his media studies. It is excellent really good battery life, lovely clear screen, keyboard is positive and the pad does not have a hair trigger. I'm thinking of a Samsung for my next laptop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Laptop at an excellent price, 26 Dec. 2011
PHarris82 (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
Having agonised over all of the different laptop options I finally settled on the Samsung RV520 with 4gb RAM and a 500gb Hard Drive. It was a Christmas present and so I was slightly nervous that it would be as good as it appeared.

So far I haven't been disappointed. It was very easy to set up and is a beautiful piece of kit. The keyboard is well spaced and the keys have a nice bounce to them. The screen is bright, clear and in HD!

When I ordered the item in November it was listed for £399. Since then it has increased in price which makes it even more of a great buy.

Although it has only been used for a day, I suspect that this has been a good purchase from a well known brand. If there are any issues I will update, but for now it is an excellent price for an excellent product. No complaints at all!

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for, 2 Jan. 2012
CatSailor (Belfast, N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
I have the laptop a few weeks now and everything is great, I had looked at a number of models including the Dell XPS range but unless you're going to be using alor of graphic packages it seemed overpriced. I hadn't actually considered the Samsung until I'd seen a similar model in a store and really liked the looks compared with the HP and Asus - both of which seemed really cheaply constructed. The Samsung is quick, was easy to set up out of the box and reamrkably light. Overall if you're just going to use the computer for surfing, word processing and backup for iphones etc its a great buy.