Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 May 2004
If you are searching for a CD of the Belgian all girl choir that sings unusual pop songs in a classical style, this is it! I heard of this choir, accompanied on piano and directed by the Kolacny brothers, on Classic FM and recently saw them on Classic FM TV singing "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana (regrettably not included here) and I was captivated! The choir sings witty pop songs in a classic choral style with a youthful innocence that belies the cynicism of the actual lyrics you hear. It makes for a moving and thought provoking listening experience. 14 tracks appear on the main CD (the bonus CD I received was not as advertised) beginning with the title track Dream On, originally sung by Depeche Mode. Under The Bridge by The Red Hot Chilli Peppers lends itself very well to this style of delivery, and UB40's Don't Break My Heart might bring a lump to your throat. Track 7, Go Where I Send Thee, is the odd track out, seemingly a gospel song sung in a skat, accapella style, but shows a depth of vocal skill one might not expect in such young chanteuses (the choir is made up entirely of under 20s). Each track has its merits but amongst the most noteworthy are Exit Music For A Film (Radiohead - "We hope that you choke!"), Daddy I'm Fine (Sinead O'Connor - strong stuff lyrically, with swear words!) I Touch Myself (Divinyls - you will laugh out loud as they sing "When I think ABOUT you, I touch myself) and the closing track, the deeply haunting Underneath It All (Nine Inch Nails - "After all I've died, you are still inside".
All 14 tracks are strong and the CD bears much repetitious listening. It has been in my CD changer for the past 3 weeks and shows no signs of being ousted. If you were looking for work by this choir, this is the CD to buy. If you have just stumbled onto this item, buy it immediately. You will not regret it.
on 17 October 2011
Bought this CD because I am getting married soon, and wanted the track 'Perfect day', an old song beautifully recorded for our service.
Listened online first before buying, and the other cover tracks are simply stunning. so glad when this item arrived within a few days, well packaged. I also went on to buy other CD's by Scala .... superb .
on 18 April 2012
Some fantastic tracks, but I found it quite hard to listen to it as an album. I bought this as I had enjoyed listening to the track 'With or Without You' and thought the rest of the album would have the same calming, restful quality. Each track is sung beautifully, but some of the tracks are more intense and a bit 'heavy'. I much preferred the more recent 2011 Scala & Kolacny Brothers album myself.
on 19 December 2010
This idea has been done quite alot now, but when this came out in 2004 it was a whole new idea. These covers are very refreshing from the usual covers around. In some cases better then teh originals. My favourite has to be With Or Without You.
on 13 August 2012
I was basing my purchase of the album on having only heard one track but I wasn't disappointed I have to say, really good album some good surprises on it
on 9 November 2014
Very unusual music.... Classical recordings of a choir singing pop songs. Discovered after hearing Ruby Wax choose a track on the radio
on 13 December 2015