• Lili

Format: DVD|Change

on 19 March 2011
As far as the quality of this film's content, it is excellent. It is well-produced, well-acted by an excellent cast with a wonderfully touching story. However, the video quality of this DVD release is quite poor. I cannot say with assurance if it was transferred from video tape, however I would feel confident in saying that it was not digitally remastered from film, as the image lacks the crispness one usually expects from DVD.

The colour is very inconsistent, vacillating from over-saturated (often to the point of bleeding) to somewhat washed out (aberrations quite common to old dubbed video tapes), sometimes doing so in the same scene. It is interesting that the authentic Turner-MGM/UA VHS release is of similar quality as far as the variations in colour (even changing hue in the same scenes as on the DVD), although there is very little, if any, over-saturation on the tape version.

Sadly, this is another great movie that has not been released on DVD in with the quality it deserves. As there is nothing on the packaging that indicates any connection to the studio that actually produced the film, it reminds me of the reproductions of public domain material one might find on DVD at the local bargain store (although the cover artwork is of a better quality) and, in my opinion, at £19.84 this item is severely over-priced. Overall, a big disappointment. Unless you are desperate to own this title on DVD, regardless of the video quality, I would recommend that you save your money. I wish I had.
on 24 July 2010
Lili is a minor Classic that will bring a tear to the eye of anyone capable of emotion, So why no DVD restoration?

Update on Lili now have the WB Archive Collection version. Picture and sound are very good, but doubt that its had a restoration. The DVD also seems to be region free so added bonus. What a wonderful film. WOW.
on 13 August 2014
The film was as good as I remember it when first released as a film long ago. Very well acted.
Paul Gallico's stories are marvellously told and suitable for all ages.
HOWEVER, this version was produced for a Spanish market, and the seller should tell all UK purchasers which Spanish buttons to press to get the original English soundtrack. Without that information, and not speaking Spanish myself, it was all Double Dutch until I subsequently obtained this information.
on 23 September 2009
Leslie Caron is the stranded young woman alone in France. A chance meeting with a slick magician from the visiting circus enthralls her and she follows him finding employment in a puppet show. As she becomes mesmerised with the caddish magician she is blind to the real love the puppet master has for her.

So delightfully lovely - full of pathos in the puppet characters. Leslie Caron is well-suited to the childlike yet maturing Lily - wide-eyed and conscious at the same time.

A story about growing up, courage and the risk that is love. Watch it with your children!
on 24 May 2011
I am over the moon about this. I noted other people's comments with regard to the colour, but didn't find it a problem on my copy. The only slight difficulty I did have was to try to get to the English translation. It took a few goes as my Spanish is rusty but, once there, it was all worth it. The proof is in the delight it gave to my 3-year old granddaughter who was as entranced as I was at her age. The entire time she was with me, she kept asking for 'Lili again' and even learned to sing the song. Magic and timeless!
on 10 March 2014
As it's a Spanish version of the movie, I am having trouble translating it into English. I keep trying without success. Unfortunately I don't speak/understand Spanish. There seem to be six options to translate and three just don't 'work' at all! The other three are all in Spanish. I will keep trying but for the very first time in my dealing with Amazon I am disappointed.
on 21 October 2012
A beautiful musical so well acted. Mel Ferrer is adorable and Leslie Caron is endearing. a personal favourite. It is amazing this musical isn't more well known as it should be up there as one of the top MGM musicals
on 20 July 2014
Dated of course, but everything I remember from when I saw it in the cinema all those years ago. This version is a clean copy, both in vision and sound. Having burbled on about it for ages to my wife, a very discerning film lover, I am relieved to say she thorougly enjoyed it. "Hi Lili Hi Lo" is the only song and some of the acting etc is stilted and the costumes laughable, but just lose yourself in whimsy for an hour or so - I bet you go "ah" at the end!
on 19 September 2015
I remember as a young child listening to the song 'Hi-Lili-Hi-Lo' many times on a yellow label MGM 78rpm record; wondering what the singers were doing as they sang; now I know as only very recently I saw this film for the first time. The ridiculous cost prohibited me from buying it. No DVD/film at all is worth it's current asking price.........TIP: I obtained a good copy and much cheaper elsewhere. By that I mean good vision and sound quality. Just search! It really is a wonderful film and on many levels too. Others have written many positive statements about this film which I agree with. It's brilliant. See it and I'm sure you will enjoy this emotive and very colourful film. Wasn't Leslie Caron wonderful?
on 6 April 2011
I am glad I was able to hear the songs again and enjoy the charm of Leslie Caron; but it is a shame the colours of this DVD were so ugly.
I don't remember the movie like this. Bad copy? Also it was made for the latin market, and the ad didn't mention this; but to change to
English was easily done. The product was quickly and correctly dispatched, so no complaints there. Just those ugly colours...