5.0 out of 5 stars A new take on an age old vice
Published on 25 Jun 2011 by uncle barbar

3.0 out of 5 stars Born Liars - Ian Leslie
I really enjoyed the start of this book but there are some rather dull chapters mid way where I found myself skimming rather too often. Overall a good read but the book could have been half the length and still delivered the goods. Would I buy this with hindsight, yes, probably.
Published 11 months ago by JP

5.0 out of 5 stars A new take on an age old vice, 25 Jun 2011
uncle barbar (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Carefully compiled to include all the latest research, this book gives a fascinating insight into the subject matter. I was interested to read contemporary as well as historical evidence to illustrate the points. It debunks many commonplace myths about how people lie and whether it is always reprehensible. The part I found most interesting was the section on when and how children lie. It appears they learn to do this as a natural developmental stage which is fairly constant across the globe. A highly readable, fascinating work suitable for lay people and anthropologists alike. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 7 Jun 2011
We all lie but rarely stop to think why we do it, or how often we're lied to back. BORN LIARS made me analyse my own behaviour, listen to my children more intently, watch politicians more closely, dissect adverts and basically look at the world in a refreshed way. Ian Leslie takes you on an effortlessly engaging tour of the world of deceit and self-deception and I loved this fascinating book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very nicely articulated case., 22 July 2013
This review is from: Born Liars: Why We Can't Live Without Deceit (Kindle Edition)
This book resolved a personal dilemma for me, someone raised in a traditional predominately Muslim culture where lying and deceit are very black and dark attributes of any human being's core nature which this particular book seems to agree with. It is truth which is an acquired trait which we all struggle to achieve during our existence on earth. As an eastern expat striving in the West, I have always struggled with the notion of whether to trust first or distrust upon initial contact, as I tend to be the trusting type personally which means that I must have been influenced by my religious background somehow somewhere. And as truth seems to be abundant in a generally trusting culture I am well disposed to my present conditions.

I enjoyed this book immensely at as it very clearly outlines the various philosophies influencing truth and lies over centuries of human existence. For instance the difference between lying in the West as opposed to the East was very nicely explained.

And lastly the book is very nicely presented for the lay-person instead of being directed to the academics, in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb romp through the science and psychology of fibs, 21 Sep 2011
Thoroughly enjoyed this well written, engaging romp through the latest research into the psychology and development of human deception and self deception which provides a wonderful positive evaluation of this intrinsic behaviour. Illustrated with some great accounts of historical examples of fraud and self deception from lie detectors, mesmer and medical placebo's. Fascinating and easy to read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Born Liars....The Truth..., 5 Sep 2011
The book was excellent when it was on BBC Radio4, even better reading it ! It will certainly increase your emotional intelligence !
Buy it and enjoy its information, science, wisdom !
Kiki/AlikiBags

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and gripping read, 10 Aug 2011
What an excellent book. It deals with lies of all kinds but one of the most interesting areas for me was about self-deception and how that is necessary for us to keep living. Those who are unable to deceive themselves (i.e. think that they are above average, attractive, intelligent etc) are more likely to be depressed. And that's just one of the fascinating insights from this book, which covers not only science and pyschology but uses films, tv and literature to illustrate its points. I've started buying it as gifts for my friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly engaging, 6 Dec 2011
nupsta (London, England) - See all my reviews
A thoroughly good examination of the nature of lying and self deception. The most fascinating case studies come from the world of psychology, but the author also draws from social anthropology and neuroscience. It has the narrative strength of a gripping work of fiction, and gives an engaging and often addictive insight into ourselves, and why we behave the way we do. As a parent I particularly enjoyed the chapter on how and why we develop the skills to deceive at an early age. Most of all I enjoyed the chapter on the ethics of lying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 21 May 2014
Great book, i got a load out of it. More than a few of the chapters got me thinking. One i'll definitely re-read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Surprising Information, 21 Mar 2014
A well-researched book written in an informal style. Very eye-opening into our normal human deceptions and instincts. Also amusing in places.

5.0 out of 5 stars All about lying, 16 Feb 2014
This is a very interesting book to read about one of our most common ways 'lying'. If you want to know more about yourself read this book.