I watched both the BBC documentaries (the man who cycled the world and the man who cycled the Americas) and as well as just being overwhelmed by the depths Mark could dig in order to complete these endurance feats, it made me want to do something with my life. I still haven't decided what yet, but at least I started to think about it!
Mark's books show the strengths...
Published on 24 Jun 2011 by Simon J

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent read, but a tad disappointing, far from unsupported
I've not finished it yet (he's just leaving Central America) and there's no doubt it's a great effort taking in the 2 continents highest mountains and riding from top to bottom of the Americas, but why is it a read that is a tad disappointing?

Published 11 months ago by Lloyd Bower

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have ever considered doing anything worthwhile, read these books, 24 Jun 2011
Mark's books show the strengths humans (or at least Mark) can draw upon to complete endurance feats that most of us can only dream about. Whether it's the physical mountain climbs in Alaska or trying to deal with the over-present police protection in Pakistan or finding the steel to carry on after being hit off the bike and then mugged in America.
As well as being a fascinating read that I literally can't put down (sounds like a cliché, but is appropriate in this case), it's a travelog worthy of Michael Palin (high praise) and a damn good diary.
Do yourself a favour, read this and The Man who cycled the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mark Beaumont - The man who cycled the Americas, 22 Jun 2011
I have had the great pleasure to read both of Mark's books. They are both similar as they give his personal trips of the most amazing kind.
If you are looking for a book that will have you turning the pages as fast as you can then both are great. His second book gives more stories about the folks he meets along the way -- some will make you laugh out loud -- he fails to save his sister as she is forced to dance with a bear of a man -- some will amaze you -- the wonderful accounts of the kindness he finds along the way (warms the heart that there are still great people out there) -- some make you feel as frustrated as he gets -- and some are so full of excellent imagery you can almost feel the snow or the road - or the bears!
His easy going style of writing leaves you with the feeling that you have just been on a journey with one of the nicest men alive.
I read lots - after all I am a teacher of English - usually two to three books a week -- yes I do have a life! Mark's books are the only ones I have read in a long time where I feel saddened when the book is finished - I actually slow down to make them last longer.
I could not recommend his - The man who cycled the World or the Americas - any higher. Brilliant ! Talented athelete and writer with a wonderful outlook on life -- he is the kind of bloke that anyone would want to sit in the pub with and listen to his tales and not feel intimidated -- read his books! Total feel good factor!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring!!!, 23 May 2011
Mark's book is a worthy successor to his first, 'The Man Who Cycled the World'. I have read both books over the past year whilst looking for inspiration for completng my 7 day LEJOG this summer.

I found both books to be extremely well written, detailed without 'going on', and clearly recording the journey as it unfolded. Mark's thoughts and feelings are portrayed in a way that allows anyone with some experience of pushing themselves to fully engage with.

I pre-ordered this book a couple of months ago and kind of forgot about it! It arrived on my doormat last week and I had read it in 4 evenings! I really couldn't put it down! I even cut short my 20+ mile bike-commute home to get back into it!

I would highly recommend this book for anyone who wants to enjoy a vivid and truthful account of an awesome journey!

Just get on and read it! Five stars! Full marks (I am a teacher afterall!)

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent read, but a tad disappointing, far from unsupported, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Man Who Cycled the Americas (Kindle Edition)

Well early on, he says that he wanted the expedition to be more about the people he encountered and less about simply riding fast, which makes it frustrating to see him repeatedly trying to justify any excursions away from bike. These all seem so forced and we don't learn a fantastic amount of the countries he's riding through.

The ride was far from unsupported, a car through Honduras and minders through Guatemala and much of Mexico, constant calls to the support team etc. It would be my idea of hell when cycle touring, being shadowed by a minder in a car. It's an interesting read but if you're wanting to read of unsupported cycle rides there are better books out there.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacks real purpose, 16 Sep 2012
I really enjoyed Mark's first book in which he sets out to break the world record. I was, however disappointed by this book. It did not have any real goal, only one he had made up, so any reference to urgency did not ring true. While in his first book, he achieved a good balance between the small and interesting details of the journey and the overall picture, in this book, one day seems to merge in with another, often with little real interest. Perhaps the journey took too long so he felt he had to be more concise or perhaps it was that there were fewer details of real interest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 27 May 2011
J. Ottaway - See all my reviews
The first thing that pleased me about the book is that it was the same cover type as Mark's first. I was worried that it might be a hardback and they wouldn't match on my bookshelf...lol.

The second is that it is every bit as inspiring as The Man Who Cycled The World and yet a very different read. The first book was all about the world record, the efforts in achieving it and he often commented at how little time he got to spend experiencing the places he road through, this is very much about the journey, the people and the places, as well as the small matter of what Mark actually achieved himself. There is so much to be gained from reading this book, even if you watched the programmes about it.

I met Mark last year when he did a tour, talking about his two rides, he signed the bike I will be riding to Italy later this year. Whenever I'm struggling up a hill, or into a headwind I look at it, remember what Mark went through on his rides and dig deep. Reading this book inspires me to push that bit further than I think I'm able... I can not recommend it strongly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Man Who Cycled The Americas - Keep Your Heart Big, 28 Nov 2011
Tom Stronach (Essex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Man Who Cycled the Americas (Kindle Edition)
The Man Who Cycled the AmericasMark Beaumont is, like me, Scottish, there the similarity ends. He is an accomplished 28 year old adventurer and story teller, having cycled from John o' Groats to Lands End in the UK aged just 15. Since then he set a world record for CYCLING around the world in 2008 and then two years later, in 2010, he cycled the length of the Americas, but to make it a more interesting journey he also climbed the two highest peaks on that continent, McKinley in North America (Alaska) and Aconcagua in Argentina, don't you just hate over accomplishers? Especially when, as well as cycling these distances, he is also filming it on TV quality HD cameras, blogging, twittering and commentating, he then writes a book as well, over achievers, the world would be a less interesting p[lace without them...

So, this book, The Man Who Cycled the Americas, what's on the label is what you get inside. But, if you are not used to reading these type of books but more used to reading an adventure novel or crime thriller or love story, please do not be put off by the fact that this is a first-hand narrative recount of a truly massive journey.

Beaumont really does have the easiest writing delivery style and he has produced a book that is easy reading, that at times sways from the dramatic and scary to the funny and the worrying. Not funny for him, but I did laugh at the thought of this wiry Scot trembling at his fear of meeting spiders, but when he describes what has been described to him, what can happen when and if he comes across the `Banana Spider' it is quite funny and then he compounds his fears by checking it out on Wikipedia, Numpty, you feel for him. Or the time he gets worried at a cash machine when some guys are behind him and he rushes off clutching his money, only to realise he has left his card in the machine, bless. His poor command of Spanish also makes for a laugh as he tells a chap he is sharing a tent with as they are acclimatising for the climb up Aconcagua, that he is `feeling horny', when he did in fact mean `feeling hot'!

He describes the acclimatisation for the climb up McKinley in detail with prose describing the beautiful scenery and snowy landscapes that makes you want to visit the area and then the harrowing scene of a tumbling climber dying in front of his party.

The climb up Aconcagua felt like he wasn't going to make it and you can literally feel his gasps of pain and yourself willing him on to the summit with his fellow climbers, will he make it ....... and remember he still has to get back down and cycle another couple of thousand miles down to the very tip of the Americas before he finishes his journey!

The variety and mix of people met on the journey are presented as a full cornucopia from the ludicrously outrageous to the mildly insane in both North and South America, and which included a couple running a rundown road side store in North America who he thought were going to kill each other while he was there and his conversation with an uncommunicative armadillo, and the kindly old Argentinean who told him to "Keep his heart big" ,and the whole book just makes marvellous reading.

If you have never read this type of book before, please do not be put off, it really is a good read and it is a book you don't need to rush through, but as I say he does have a really easy style and this makes it difficult to put down, but if you do, it is so easy to come back to it time and time again.

Well worth a 5 out of 5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 July 2014
Great

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 8 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Man Who Cycled the Americas (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book. With any adventure, there is invariably some deviation from the original plan and this was no exception. I'm glad Mark took greater time out to meet people, as I think this makes for a better story. After the last mountain climb, there was bound to be something of an anti-climax, but Mark's determination to complete the journey is what real adventure is made of.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just not a good writer., 14 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Man Who Cycled the Americas (Kindle Edition)
Having read his 1st book which I enjoyed to a point, I thought I'd give this one a read on the premise that it was pitched more as a travelogue. Apart from the 2 mountain climbs which were an interesting insight into mountain climbing on this scale. The rest of the book left me just waiting for the end, I understand the premise of adventure travel but if you find it so difficult, don't do it,

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›