on 14 April 2009
I have just finished 'Hillsborough - The Truth' by Phil Scraton and what an eye opener it is. I thought I knew nearly everything about what went on on the day and the following cover up but I didn't realise to what lengths South Yorkshire Police went to to cover their tracks.

Not only were police statements altered but the fact that those people who knew the law and how the justice system works used those processes to hide behind and thwart attempts by those that had lost loved ones to seek the truth about how their loved one died. A justice system that is supposed to be there to help us being used as a weapon against those in such a vunerable position.

Later on both Michael Howard and Jack Straw also wielded the sword of justice against the families whilst pretending to be fighting for them. Kelvin McKenzie is a scum bag and maggot and deserves some sort of come uppance but those in power who were there to protect us and failed so utterly should hold their heads in shame. They could have righted a wrong but instead they made it worse.

Never forget the 96 and never settle for anything less than the full truth and full justice.

YNWA.
on 9 December 1999
On the one hand it is difficult not to praise this book to the skies, while at the same time wishing it had never had to be written
Not only is it a brilliant factual account, it manages to develop a sense of anger in the reader at the injustices and indignities endured by the families of the victims over the last 10 years.
The author does this without resorting to sensationalism or sentimentality, which is remarkable given his personal involvement in the case as a member of the Hillsborough Project.
He manages to write with a dignity and eloquence that is a fitting testament to the people who died, and is in marked contrast to the behaviour of the South Yorkshire Police and the disgraceful reporting of the case in the British Press.
on 27 January 2001
First class! I have never had so many different emotions reading just one book before, this is definately a must read for everyone. From someone closely associated with Hillsborough and the aftermath this is an extremely well balanced piece of work. I have lent my copy to a few of my friends who have been equally disturbed by the years of aftermath suffered by all the famillies and survivors. The only thing missing, I think, must be a plan of the ground at Hillsborough which would have made the desciptions of Gate C and the control box etc easier to follow especially to those unfamilier with the ground.
on 27 April 1999
I have been a life-long Liverpool fan. On the 15th of April 1989, I remember very clearly seeing the first TV reports on Grandstand that there were "crowd problems" at the Liverpool/Forest semi-final. As the full horror of the events unfolded, I just found myself staring in dis-belief at every news report as the death toll mounted. Those events have stayed with me.
I say this because this book contains first hand accounts of survivors of the tragedy as well as relatives/friends of the victims and it is only through these accounts that one can begin to feel the real pain and sense of loss. My feelings about Hillsborough became insignificant after reading the feelings of those involved.
What was interesting, though, was that whilst I followed the subsequent legal processes after Hillsborough, it was never given the coverage it warranted in the media. I am glad that I now know the full detail of all the proceedings, including what sounds like a harrowing inquest procedure.
I was deeply moved moved by this book, and would like to, if there is any small way, help the victims of Hillsborough find "their justice".
on 8 February 2006
There is not much else I can say apart from this whole sorry saga is absolutely devastating and is something that should never have happened. This is the theme running throughout this excellent read - and a read that will leave you saddened and disgusted.
Scraton does not mince his words and is happy to get involved in all the legal mumbo jumbo that can get quiet tedious at times. But this still ranks as a five starrer just because it is such an emotional piece of writing which made me angry that nobody has ever been prosecuted for the disaster.
on 22 June 2004
I think that this has to be one of the most moving and thought-provoking books that I have ever read. It is well balanced, sympathetically written and extremely informative - a lasting tribute to the poor souls who lost their lives. And I wish to God that it never had to be written.
The description of what happened on the actual day is shocking and hard hitting but is done in the most sensitive and non-gratuitous way. He shows the utmost respect for those unfortunate enough to be involved, whilst at the same time conveying the awful truth as vividly as any photograph. I finished the book feeling angry and disturbed and wanting to do something, but not knowing what
My only criticism is that a plan of the ground would have been really helpful. Being unfamiliar with football stadia, I had difficulty understanding the layout of the ground. That aside, it is a faultless account that anyone interested in truth and justice should read.
on 7 October 2005
I read this book to get an understanding of Hillsborough as I was young when it happened, my husband was there as a 14 year old Liverpool fan. I am disgusted at how Liverpool fans were percieved and persecuted as a result of a chain reaction of poor decisions, ignorance and passing the buck took 96 lives. Everyone should read this book who wants to know how we all put our lives in the hands of people we should be able to trust, only to be let down time and time again. Its given me a very cynical view of the police in particular. I only hope The familes of those who died get their deserved justice one day.
on 30 April 2016
Will this crucial,major and immaculate peice of writing ever be released for Kindle?

the author of this book is quite simply one of the most crucial persons in this whole horrific scandal being uncovered.He also gave the working class fans the credibility that was required too articulate and achieve justice.

The victims can finally begin to truly rest (and live) in peace.
on 27 May 2009
On the way to a holiday to Derbyshire recently, I exited off the the M1 motorway which took me past Hillsborough football ground. It was the first time I had visited the ground and I decided to visit the Leppings Lane End to pay my respects. A palpable pall of sorrow still hangs over the ground and this entrance in particular. This book heightens those emotions which are never far away from any football fan who recollects those terrible events. There is little I can add to the other reviewers comments about the content of the book save for two aspects.

Firstly, some parts of the press and certain high profile figures have blamed the fans for the tragedy saying that it was the latecomers and ticketless fans as well as those fans who may have had a drink who contributed to the events. Surely though allowance for this eventuality should have been made by the police and the other authorities as part of their risk management assessment. Also the police's lack of responsible action when the drama was unfolding and the heartless handling of the bereaved was unforgivable.

Secondly I think that most fair minded people will have felt the police and other authorities had not only failed the fans in their duty to them but have heaped insult on them and their families by not accepting this responsibility and not apologising for it. It is a recurring theme if one considers the recent sad case of the De Menedes "terrorist killing" in London.

Until the responsibility is accepted there will always be a gaping hole in people's hearts.
on 19 June 2009
Along with many others, I remember watching the terrible scenes from Hillsborough on tv 20 years ago. Having read this book, I can't truly describe my feeling of injustice towards the "96", and their relatives and survivors. The book is emotional, harrowing and deeply moving. We are a "footballing" family. A different time, different circumstances, it could have been a member of our family. I truly hope that some day justice is found, and the families can have some sort of closure on this terrible tragedy.