Format: DVD|Change

on 18 December 2011
Watched this film in Dec 11 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Initially it started of slightly slow and a very typically (in terms of the characters and actors used) but it quickly entered in to a new gear and covered many real issues facing many of us today. Some may feel the two back grounds extereme but in my mind the the scenarios and types of characters are very identifiable and I could easily relate to them. Would highly recommend.
on 16 September 2013
At the risk of sounding prejudice, I saw this movie with a theater full of black people, which I contend is the best way to enjoy this movie as the audience reaction was perhaps more enjoyable than the movie. Paula Patton plays Sabrina Watson who has prayed to God to meet the right man. She gets her sign when she runs into (with her car) Jason Taylor (Laz Alonso). After dating for 5 months they opt to get married. Sabrina's family is wealthy and act like "white people." They frown on black culture. Jason's mom works for the post office and takes anger management classes. When the families get together for the first time for the wedding, there is a clash of personalities and cultures as Jason's mom (Loretta Devine) reminds the bride's family they are still black. The phrase "jumping the broom" was new to me. It is what black people traditionally do at weddings, dating back to the time of slavery. Since slaves were not allowed to marry, they would perform their own marriage ceremony by jumping the broom.

By having the bride's family be black also, the film could do more with the cultural clash and get away with it than if it was a black-white wedding. For instance, the groom's family wants to do the Electric Slide, a nearly time-honored tradition at black weddings. The bride's family rejects the idea to wit the groom's family responds, "So I suppose you are going to do the River Dance?" This would never work with a black-white wedding, but works remarkably well with two black families, judging from the roar from the audience.

Oh yes. And the happy wedding couple have not yet consummated their relationship and everyone knows it and thinks it is odd. And the bride's family has a few secrets. The low point was when Jason's mom plays the trump card. The movie shifts from funny to awkward.

No swearing. No sex. No nudity (bra/panties). Adult themes.
on 13 August 2011
This movie is great to watch on a Sunday afternoon with a bottle of wine. Goes down the all too familiar route, couple from different social backgrounds meet, fall in love, tensions the big argumment, then love conquers all and they get married and all is well in the world without being too mushy! It does have a great soundtrack. Really enjoyed it, even my other half liked it!
on 7 October 2011
The movie grows on you gradually. I enjoyed it much better when I watched it the second time around. The standout performance comes from Paula Patton. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that she's more than just a pretty face. She's actually a really good actress and comedian. The rest of the film and acting with the exception of Loretta Devine and Mike Epps is pretty average.Laz Alonso, who plays the fiance had one touching scene where he has a candid talk with his mother. Otherwise his performance for the most part was wooden and one dimensional. Same with Angela Bassett, who plays the uptown mother. With the exception of one scene where she manages to come across as real and vulnerable in the arms of her husband (which I absolutely loved and would like to see more of from her!) she plays her usual hard-edged self and has no place in a romantic comedy drama. It would also have been good if they'd been given proper french lessons if they were going to speak french. On the plus side- it explores some really neccessary themes about race and social class. It's about time we had movies like this out there. The quality of the filming is great too and there are some fun highlights- like tasha smith's cougar dilemma. The film itself has an uplifting feel to it and a postive spiritual message.
on 26 April 2012
This is a fantastic movie!
At first I thought it was quite predictable but I was wrong!
Paula Patton, Angela Bassett and Loretta are amazing in this.
This is not only about getting married but the trouble mother in laws can cause when they are lonely.
on 12 January 2013
Hii,
yes I rate this film 2/5 because it wasn't really for me. I thought it would be like Tyler Perry's amazing film, 'Why did I get Married' part 1. But it wasn't. This film, (I bought it to watch, for my 19th birthday), was too full on.

Like in the beginning of the film when the character Sabrina is in a guy's bedroom/kitchen, like what a place to start a film to celebrate your birthday!!! Also, days before her wedding, when Jason gets a ladder and creeps into her room wanting to sleep with Sabrina. And the main chef who nearly sleeps with Blythe in the kitchen...just too many sexual scenes overall. So for me, I have this film on DVD now however, don't really want to ever watch it again hmm
on 14 July 2012
Fast delivery great service. The movie was entertaining and lighthearted no violence or swearing. Just what I was after. It made my birthday complete as all I wanted was a great film to sit and relax to watch.
on 17 April 2012
I really enjoyed this movie and would recommend purchasing it.

All the actors played their role very well. It is definetly one to watch - love, happiness and laughter. A feel good movie
on 20 April 2014
I chose this rating because it was a very good story line and the characters were very good actors. Also I liked the fact that their was a moral code in the story line where the couple decided to save themselves for each other before they got married and even though they had their temptations and struggles in the relationship because they were both from different sides of the track as it were they managed to bring their two families together through their genuine love for each other. So I would say a must see for those who love a good story and romance.
on 9 July 2012
I really enjoyed the film. You could really get into all the main characters and I laughed at them, with them and felt teary at times.