Format: Audio CD|Change

If you don't like bad language you may struggle with this.
If on the other hand you don't mind a bit of top-class
potty-mouthed creativity you may very well love it to bits!

Nicki Minaj (aka Onika Tanya Maraj) shoots from the hip on
her debut album 'Pink Friday' and takes no prisoners. She is
mad and bad and just a little bit dangerous to know and to tell
you the truth, dirty or not, this is a very fine first outing.

Ms Minaj can sing. No doubt about it. Listen to the chorus on the
deliciously funky opening track 'Im The Best' if you need proof.
However, it's the rapping which really shines! This lady can spit
out words with the kind of fierce delivery and rhythmic attack
which only the very best in the genre can muster. Hooking up
with Eminem on the positively outrageous 'Roman's Revenge' is
an inspired pairing. Mr Mathers meets his match and sounds like
he's enjoying every last moment! Stripped-down, awkward, angular
and totally thrilling, you can feel the sparks flying between them!!

'Did It On 'em' is rude. Very rude indeed and very, very funny.
I kept thinking : "Noooooo...You can't say that...you just can't!"
- but she does and she doesn't give a damn! Coming out of a less
convincing mouth the scatological lyrics might well have sounded
immature and gratuitous. Here the profanity is blissfully correct.

Rihanna returns a favour collaborating with Ms Minaj on the lovely
duet 'Fly' (they perform together on 'Raining Men' on Rihanna's new
album 'Loud'). Both Divas deliver deliciously powerful performances.

'Save Me' has a strong tune cut through with skittering drum & bass
rhythms. The marriage of styles works wonderfully well.

Kanye West pops in to say "hello" on 'Blazin'. It's a mid-paced
arrangement full of luminous synth washes and big faltering beats.
Truth-be-told Mr West is not at his best. His rapterlude sounds
positively dull next to Ms Minaj's bright and breezy rhyming.

'Dear Old Nicki' is a curiously elegant confection brimming over
with just the right kind of "told-you-so" confidence and spite.

Final track 'Last Chance' finds Ms Minaje ripping up the lino
with Natasha Bedingfield. The words spin in the air like a manic
cloud of summer swallows. A generously uplifting conclusion.

If 'Pink Friday' is a taste of things to come then I'm
already hungry for the next course. Bring it on! Soon!!

Bold, brash and maddeningly addictive.

Highly Recommended.
44 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 January 2012
CD was received from Amazon in good condition.

Overall an excellent cd....totally loved Nicki Minaj's catchy rap + poppy tunes.

It's recommended for listeners like me who aren't into hard core rap and still like their pop tunes.

Favourite tunes include Superbass (of course!), Moment 4 Life, Fly and Save Me.
on 2 December 2012
Love this product. Considering it was Nicki's first album, I think she did an amazing job. I bought this album after listening to her second one, and they just keep getting better!
on 12 January 2013
Loved the music
Would not recommend listening to some of the tracks when kids are in the room as there is a bit of bad language
on 15 July 2014
This is her first and best album, couldn't be happier when I got it, people talk sh*t about it because of the lyrics but CAN'T THEY SEE IT'S HAS PARENTAL ADVISORY? THIS IS A PIECE OF ART! in every way! if you haven't got your copy yet, DO IT NOW. you won't regret for sure, every song has some kind of story, the music video for them in Youtube are even better, you better shake your ass while listening to this
on 30 July 2011
Singing I'm the Best on the first track of her debut studio album, Nicki Minaj could not be more right. After showing her talent on collaborations with Mariah Carey (Up out my Face) and Christina Aguilera (Woohoo), the rapper and singer-songwriter got the chance to work with some amazing artists like Rihanna, Eminem and Kanye West for her own album as well. Amongst the best tracks are Roman's Revenge (ft. Eminem), Did it on'em, Fly (ft. Rihanna) Check it out (ft. will.i.am), Dear Old Nicki (best ballad), Last Chance (ft. Natasha Bedingfield), Your Love, Girls fall like Dominoes and Super Bass. Sassy and colourful! A must have!
on 6 November 2014
Only bought CD as I wanted Super Bass song. Very glad I did! I thought it was going to be all hard an fast rap, but wasn't. I love Nicki Minaj's voice fluxuations and style. Some songs more slow and relaxed while others with more rapping. A nice variety with a bit of unique ''Minaj-ce que''.
on 30 March 2016
I know it's a great album, which is why I have given it 5 stars and I am really keen on hearing it at home, which I haven't been able to do yet as what I received was Pink Friday with the cd for Roman Reloaded inside. So it looks like I better try and buy it again, just not from DVD Overstocks.
on 3 May 2011
I'll be honest i'm not a Rap fan and I wasn't keen on Nicki Minaj, but the more you hear of her and hear her songs on and on her stuff really grows on you!

After purchasing a few songs from iTunes I decided to buy the Deluxe Edition album on Cd, I love the Cd there is quite a few P*ss takes too against other rappers like Lil Kim and other Rappers. I will list a few of my favourite songs I love on this Cd.

I'm The Best
Roman's Revenge Feat. Eminem (I love this one this is my most favourite one)
Did it on em (Another good one)
Right Thru Me (Love this melody)
Fly Feat. Rihanna (Fab song)

Those are a list of my favourites but apart from that Love them all!

The last song on this Deluxe there is another version of Roman's Revenge feat. Lil Wayne, its good sounds different and different lyrics to Eminems! but I much prefer Eminems voice. Also latest single "Girls fall like Dominos" great Song!
on 24 October 2013
I'd recommend this to any Nicki fan. A great mixture of slow and up tempo tracks such as "Your love," "Moment for life," "Save me," "Superbass," "Fly" and "Girls fall like Dominoes."