Format: Vinyl|Change

on 12 September 2011
It's rather a lot in fact, and we know he can act - 'Crazy Heart' was genuinely superb - and the Dude has one of the most distinguished movie careers out there. One of my favourites is his lesser known naively optimistic and then damaged - literally - persona in 'Thunderbolt and Lightfoot'.

In a series of interviews ahead of the release of 'Jeff Bridges', Bridges made it clear that he has always had a love of music, and his singing and playing in 'Crazy Heart' merely brought this more to the public's attention rather than sparked a new musical interest, or worse, a cynical response to the soundtrack's success.

This album is not simply a Country album; indeed, it is much more. Yes, opener 'What A Little Bit Of Love Can Do' is Country flavoured with pedal steel and tight, catchy harmonies, but there is also an outright pop element with its bouncy melody and rock'n'roll organ stabs. It's second track 'Falling Short' that asserts the album's breadth with the soft dual vocals and echoing musical backdrop suggesting early 70s folkrock introspection and sincerity. Third 'Everything But Love' is maybe the most Country with its central pedal steel.

Bridges' voice is distinctive because we know it so well, but it also has a gentle authority. I think the T-Bone Burnett production has been clever in pairing him so often with female harmony - not that this is necessary - but it just works. Fourth track 'Tumbling Vine' returns to the folkrock vein with atmospheric fuzzed guitar riffs and resonating cymbals. Fifth 'Nothing Yet' is wonderfully simple and puts Bridges' soft growl to the fore, though again tempered by the understated, almost hesitant female vocal accompaniment.

I'll refer to only one more of the ten tracks, and that's the cover of Greg Brown's 'Blue Car'. This slow blues gets another simple, straight production, Bridges' vocal almost talking us through the tribulations of the troubled automobile - blues guitar and piano providing just enough umph to make us tap a foot.

Tapping a foot is about as roused as you'll get and if you are expecting more raucous instrumentation or even energy from Bridges' singing then I think you'll be disappointed. However, the easy-going but always heartfelt and distinctive Bridges' vocal [and tandem female voice] works perfectly for me. Just listen to eighth track 'Slow Boat' [I know I lied about stopping at the sixth track....] and Jeff's vocal slow-walk, at its lowest register on the album, is hypnotic...because it's so clearly him! This is an unadorned honest album with relaxing late night listening written all over it.
on 24 February 2012
Things seem to have worked out pretty good for the Dude once again..
If you own the previous Jeff bridges CD "be here soon" then you may be surprised when you listen to this CD.
Its a leap ahead in every way with quality songs you will be going back to listen to again and again without doubt.
Stand out tracks for me were "What a little bit of love can do" and "Falling short(written by Jeff)".
Don't waste any more time reading these reviews, Just go order the CD now..
You won't be disappointed..
on 2 November 2011
An absolute must for any music collection-his voice is like nutty chocolate and the production is first class.Haven't stopped playing it!
on 1 January 2012
I was in two minds about "Crazy Heart" - I liked the story per se, but thought the film was too long. But I like Jeff Bridges - so I watched the movie and really enjoyed him singing. I enjoyed it enought to buy this CD, which is as laid back as the Dude and very pleasant - I particularly like Jeff Bridges' voice. With it's mellow smokiness it reminds me of a good Single Malt - and that's what I do, when I listen to this CD: poor myself a dram.
on 15 May 2013
Great album. I bought this album after watching Crazy Heart and wasn't disappointed . Jeff Bridges has a great country music voice !
on 10 January 2012
This is a workmanlike record cashing in on Bridges' recent film where he is an alchoholic, burnt out country singer with a chance of redemption.

He was good in that but anyone hoping that film talent will be translated to disc format is in for a disappointment. It's quite a short record, with relatively few tracks. Bridges involvement is pretty limited; he wrote only 3 tracks and only sings along to other's tunes on the rest.

Having listenend to it a couple of times now I'd be hard pushed to hum a tune from any of it. But, the packaging of the LP is of good quality, the pressing (I bought the LP) and recording is fine and as background with a glass of red it makes a good easy listen. Just don't think that you are going to discover the real 'Jeff'.
on 5 September 2011
There's nothing new here & that's a fact but what you do have aint half bad. At worst I'd say that it's a rip off of anything John Hyatt has done recently , & at best it's a well crafted, well played & produced piece of Americana that's good listening with friends around the dinner table or on your own with your favorite vice! All in all not as bad as others make out & worth a punt for sure.
on 4 June 2013
I bought this album hoping to hear some more tracks like those on the Cray Heart soundtrack but I was disappointed First track is probably the best track, no others really stand out although I confess I've only listened to it once.
on 8 October 2014
I quite like his voice and the songs
on 15 June 2015