Published 23 months ago by Anon

3.0 out of 5 stars Hardcore minimalism for strong people
To give you a picture of Miss Minimalist's life, the author has so few possessions, when her apartment was broken into, the thief only managed to make off with a change purse, a lipstick and their cd player. Maybe a little extreme for most of us, but if you're keen on the honed-down, ultra-minimalist approach, this might be for you.

The book's composed of short...
Published on 11 Sep 2011 by An ordinary mum

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for anyone who is fed up with not being able to find stuff and the stress it causes., 27 May 2012
This review is from: Miss Minimalist: Inspiration to Downsize, Declutter, and Simplify (Kindle Edition)
I LOVED this book! Having previously realised that less stuff = more space (duh!) I had previously decluttered my (last) home and it was bliss. Then life took over and, once again, I found myself drowning in stuff. Fed up with fighting the clutter and spending what seemed like my whole life Rearranging Stuff and Putting Stuff Away whilst all the time wishing I had a bigger house, I read this book and it gave me the kick-start/kick-in-the-butt I needed to declutter once again along with the renewed realisation that what I needed was not more space but less stuff.

If you have never lived in a decluttered environment then you cannot imagine what bliss it is to be able to find everything within seconds or what it is like to wake up to a clean, tidy house or not to have that constant stressed feeling that comes from never being able to find anything etc. etc. I haven't yet finished decluttering but I already feel much calmer and life is so much easier. If you, like me, have found yourself constantly having frantic searches for stuff that you need or that you are supposed to have dealt with then deciding to live with less stuff is the answer and this book is excellent in helping you to achieve that. It is a very practical book and not so full of whimsical musings on the meaning of life and such like as some of the other books on the subject that I have read and therefore I felt that it was much more helpful in a the practical sense of dealing with the physical objects causing the clutter.

It has been said that this book is somewhat repetitive. However I felt that this was a good thing because, as you read the book, it becomes like a kind of "reverse brainwashing" to counteract the everyday onslaught from the media which is telling you to get more stuff.

The overall tone of the book is, as another reviewer said, non-preachy and, I would like to add, non-gloaty. The author doesn't bore you with loads of stories but does include some beautiful quotes at the beginning of the chapters and lots of helpful information about the decluttering requirements of different rooms.

A section on the philosophy of minimalism is included as is a rundown of what to do in each room and, yes, there is a system (yawn) called S.T.R.E.A.M.L.I.N.E but it works if you follow it and the fact that the author repeats it for every room helps to get it into your head so it is easier when you come to put it into action. I thought that I would find it boring but actually it really helped me when I began the process of decluttering.

The author also provides some excellent advice on how to stop unwanted stuff from entering your life in the first place so that you stay clutter-free as the book describes a two-pronged attack on clutter both by getting rid of existing excess possessions and by stopping the inflow of more stuff.

There is a really helpful section of dealing with different kinds of stuff, for example, that has emotional attachments or that was a gift/inheritance.

I would recommend not only this book but the decluttered lifestyle it describes. If you have a Kindle why not start your clutter free life with this purchase by buying the e-version?

Other books on the subject that I would definitely recommend are: "The life laundry - how to de-junk your life" and "The life laundry - how to stay de-junked forever" by Dawna Walter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Less is more, 8 Feb 2012
Once I had read this book, I was happy that I had purchased it as a kindle edition rather than as a paperback crammed onto my already stuffed bookshelves. This is a great little book offering inspiration and practical suggestions to a recovering pack rat like me. I tried to de-clutter last year but this book has encouraged me to go further. I now recognise that my stuff is getting in the way of my life and I love the `less is more' philosophy. There are suggestions for all areas of life such as wardrobes, books, holidays etc. There were some ideas I had come across before but there were many other suggestions that were new to me and I can't wait to implement them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hardcore minimalism for strong people, 11 Sep 2011
An ordinary mum (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews

The book's composed of short (1 - 3 page essays) on particular aspects of minimalist life. The average essay goes as follows: my husband and I used to have loads of (china/clothes/recipes/stuff) but then we realised we don't need all this stuff, so we got rid of it. Now we've got hardly anything! We're so happy!

Alas, her lifestyle and approach to home and family life are so removed from my own, I didn't find it quite as inspirational as I'd hoped. Would recommend you check out her website first, to see if her style is a good fit with yours.

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, 20 Nov 2011
I enjoyed reading Miss Minimalist. It is well written, and for those who feel weighed down by their items and obligations it will quite possibly offer some good insights. I did find it inspiring, and the non-preaching tone is pleasant. The book offers some hands-on tips to managing your clutter as well as the motivation to do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspirational and practical, 4 Jan 2013
I found this book both inspirational and practical. Other books give practical advice on de-cluttering, but this one also offers a philosophy on which to base it. " Minsumerism" was a new concept to me, but the idea is very appealing. The author took her minimalism too far for me, giving up TV for example, but many of her ideas are worth consideration, at the least. She suggest that one should only enough of everything to meet one's current needs. It is a valudable counter to today's rampant consumerism.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally resonated with me!!!, 5 Oct 2012
I absolutely LOVED this book - which I bought on my new Kindle (inspired as I am to cut down on book clutter!).

Many of the things the author spoke about regarding her childhood completely resonated with me too. I wanted things as a child, naturally, but I, too, remember feeling totally overwhelmed by STUFF and longing to grow up so I could keep a living space the way I want to.

I am also a free-wheeling, free-spirited type and like the idea I can pick up and move whenever I please without too much hassle. In fact, I have already done this several times in my life before.

It's certainly an interesting way to look at things and a good philosophy for my life.

As the author explains, the most beautiful things in the world can be enjoyed without this needing to OWN AND POSSESS feeling so many people have - sunsets, a forest, the sea, for example......

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting insight in to her minimalist life, 1 May 2013
To be honest I found it quite daunting and to be minimalist to that extent was not for me but...I admire the fact that they are able to live that way and it was an interesting insight to the life of someone so minimalist . I would struggle as have teenagers and pets but she had some good tips. I still plan to declutter but not to the extent of the way she has

4.0 out of 5 stars Good price for excellent information, 25 Sep 2013
I find the book interesting to read. Her explanation of why she has made certain decisions in living a minimalist lifestyle encouraging to read. I have no interest in being a Minimalist; in the sense the way the author lives her life. But her methods of removing clutter from her life is valid for all of us who wish to live their life with less stuff.
Her writing style is such that she is sharing and not preaching, you do not feel that you are reading a quasi-religious text. You choose how far you go with this lifestyle of less things in your life and her advice is sound and practical. I do not think it is necessary to read any other source material if you wish to know what to do and how to do it. At under 0.80 you might find it is a sensible/frugal e-book to buy. (But remember you can get this information on-line for free.) I guarantee if you only acted on two suggestions of hers you will find you have been prevented from spending minimum of 1.00 by the end of the day!

5.0 out of 5 stars So encouraging, 26 Jun 2013
Housewife 57 (Middlesex, England) - See all my reviews
As a lifelong "Clutter Nutter" I found Francine's minimalist approach refreshing & not at all patronising or superior.
It's not about getting your stuff nice & organised, it's about making space in your home & life so you can breathe & live & express yourself. It's about cutting yourself loose from all that would drag you down & trap you; about setting yourself free from our consumer society so you can enjoy living with 'just enough' & walk lightly through this world.
I SO want that.
Francine's been on this path for some years & warns us not to expect an overnight transformation. It takes a change in one's whole way of thinking & she has many encouraging things to say & tips to help.
She also has a book called "The joy of less" with more detail on how to achieve this lifestyle,which I intend to read next. I am already making more space in my home by reading these on my Kindle instead of buying physical books!

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 15 May 2013
An interesting and thought provoking book. Certainly worth reading. Quick to read and covers all areas of your life which may require simplifying.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›