on 30 June 2011
I dont normally review products but I was very pleased with the quick delivery service and the quality of the products purchased so I thought for once i would share it :-)

I bought this for my partners motorcycle as a present as we are often away on bike trips at weekends. My partners main complaint with his iphone is the battery life, it goes flat very quickly, you listen to music or want to use the GPS on the phone, I thought having a waterproof case that allows you to charge from the motorcycle would be ideal (having no power in your phone is never good but especially if you are in the middle of nowhere on your bike).

Firstly this case for the iphone feels pretty tough and the rubber inserts fits the iphone like a glove. I think the rubber insert will help protect the iphone from the vibrations of the motorcycle and also if you drop the case. There are clamps on either side that lock the top of the case shut, its a secure closure you really do need nails to be able to unclip this again. Therres cut outs on the casing for both cameras on the phone, also the headphone socket which are the main features my partner uses his phone for. At the bottom inside of the case, its well designed in the way that the charger connector is enclosed in the case and the cable runs down and out the base of the case, keeping this completely watertight.

The cable thats provided for powering from the bikes battery was straight forward to set up, only complaint I'd have is there seemed to be too much cable but this was easily fixed with some cable ties and fitted neatly under the seat of the bike.

The handlebar attachment was simple to fit, only a screwdriver needed to loosen the 2 screws, the rubber grip was a good idea too, it seems to be a solid build and we were confident to fit it to the handlebar (we have bought a bike mount before and didnt trust the quality of it to be using at high speeds on our bike). We liked the way it could adjust so much and just tighten the screw to secure our preferred position.

I also bought another bike mount attachment as the description said we could use other attachments by Ultimateaddons, it fits the case fine too and we plan to leave this one on the mountain bike so we can just move the case onto whatever we are using.

We took the bike out a run on Saturday and hit a light shower and then later on some heavy rain, when we got home, took the iphone out the holder and it was dry as (unlike ourselves)! Very impressed. The charger being on also meant on our return the iphone was fully charged. One thing to watch out for though is that the battery cable is turned off at the switch box, there isnt a light indicator on the box, so best to test it before removing the iphone from the charger, don't want to risk a flat motorcycle battery next time we go out!

We occasionaly go hill walking so I dare say that the case on its own without the mount will come in very handy for that and will get a lot of use. I would definately recommend this if you want to keep your iphone 4 protected (and charged) while outdoors :-)
on 2 May 2013
I first bought this over a year ago for my motorbike as I travel long distance a lot and initially it was good.
But with in that first year the hard wire unit broke on me 3 times and again, its packed up for the 4th time. now its out of the warranty time I cant get it replaced.
Reliability is a serious concern with this product.
Last thing you need as a motorist is your navigation charging system turning off and getting stuck in middle of nowhere as it happened to me twice.
Honestly, I urge anyone who is looking to purchase this, my personal advice is don't, and save your hard earned cash and invest in a proper gear.
it may seem like a good bit of kit but i can grantee you it will come back and bite you in you know where.
on 19 October 2011
I looked around for a long time for a holder that was waterproof, rugged and could charge my iPhone 4.
It turned out barely any cases could do this and it was a godsend when I found this kit.

This kit took about 30 minutes to install but it depends on how easy it is to access the battery on your bike.
The rubber on the bar attachment grips really well and holds everything still while not scratching the paint and the swivelling ball head allows easy movement of the phone to make getting to the petrol cap etc... Easier. The swivel locking nut also seems to hold well.

What did worry me a little is the way in which the case slides onto the mount, it doesn't snap in, just pushes tight so constant vibration or lots of movement may make it come off, all though in 2 months this hasn't happened. For peace of mind I used the included lanyard strap, I wrapped it around the bars under the case and fastened the clip onto the case as an extra precaution.
The second slight gripe, is that it's a little fussy taking the whole case off, or the phone out when you stop if it's plugged onto the charger. You have to open the case and unplug the cable to do either. Small price to pay for the added waterproofing the internal cable provides. Which by the way is excellent, so far, completely watertight.

The on-off switch on the transformer box has a light to let you know when it's on, this helps prevent leaving to on and flattening your battery.

This is a must have for any biker with an iPhone 4, it's goes perfect with any Sat Nav app.

Only issue is Apples idiotic decision not include a horizontal rotation lock as it tents to flip the screen a lot when riding.
For this price, or any other, you cannot better this product!

Edit: now after using the case for an even longer period, I've had to knock a star off.
I'm afraid the lack of a locking mechanism to attach the case securely to the handlebars is a little worrying.
As said above, I used the lanyard as a backup when on my bars and without it my phone would have bounced down the road several times.

Re: Edit: After seeing the Youtube videos posted by Ultimate Addons, I have come to realise my mistake. The 3 prong locking setup does actually lock. It took a considerable amount of force to make the connection though, but my friend has the same kit and his is much easier.

Added a star back on in respect of my own stupidity.
I will be buying a new set for my new bike and updates iPhone.
on 17 February 2012
I have the charger fitted under the seat of my BMW R1150RS and can reach the on/off switch through the gap between the front and rear sections of the seat. It represents a much tidier solution than the previous lash-ups to power an HP iPAQ running TomTom.

The case is the germ of a good design but would be SO much better if it were possible to attach a charging plug that included audio out. These seem to require a physically larger plug (to incorporate a chip) and this has not been taken into account in the internal design of the case.

Charging and accessing audio through the one, watertight, entrance would be neater and better than having two access points. In heavy rain the case could be oriented with the lead at the bottom.

As is - you also need to use a 3.5mm lead to the headphone socket. This needs to be very thin plug, opens another possible path of leakage, and is not as neat as the single plug would be.

The design of the case, with different models being accommodated by different inserts, should allow economies of scale. I wish some of the saving had been used to inspire a little more confidence - by being slightly over-built rather than under.

The clips to keep it shut should work well but I always use an additional strap. I have also adapted the case to work with RAM Mounts.
on 18 March 2013
I'm very pleased with this kit. It arrived quickly with nothing missing. I broke the swivel stem whilst trying to fit the case to the mount so was gutted. But a call to Ultimate Addons and they sent me a new mount out for free which I was quite willing to pay for. So a BIG THANK U to them! It has worked well so far in the rain. The case is sturdy enough when closed but it seems like the front cover would break easily when fully open. Also, the screen cover seems flimsy when the case is empty which is also a worry. I leave the black box switched on and it hasn't drained my battery yet but I ride every day. Any longer than 24 hours I can't vouch for!! The mount is secure and I hav'nt noticed any movement of any sort..

TIP 1 ; Don.t flap the case cover when opening & closing the case..

TIP 2 ; Hold the swivel joint firmly when attaching the case..

Tip 3 Be careful of the screen cover when the case is empty..

Its such a relief to be able to use my phone on long rides, so all in all I highly recommend this kit

25/03/2013: After 3 days of not using my bike due to the weather, I can now vouch that it started with no problem even though the box was switched on....
on 15 July 2011
Bought this to use on a solo motorcycle trip with my iphone sat nav ap.
Good points: Easy to install, useful case, worked with headphones and touch screen still works (though not with bike gloves on)
Bad points: Charging plug is a bit dodgy, had to pack it with little bits of paper so it was at the correct angle to make the correct contacts within my iphone, on off button is very ambigious, you just can't tell whether it has switched or not because it is so well waterproofed, there is no LED so the only way to tell if it is on is to connect the iphone and with a dodgy connector this was a bit of a hassle.
In the end I got it all working and it was quite good, it was fun the way the iphone changed orientation from landscape to portrait to upside down when I went too fast but the voice instructions were just audible even at motorway speeds.
Didn't test it in the rain.
on 23 August 2013
Very impressed with this product. Quick and easy to install and impressive quality. Screwed the mount onto the handlebar with phillips screwdriver, lifted bike tank to route the cables underneath. Power box sits nicely under the seat. Seal looks good around the phone, the case came with an additional white seal as well which I'm assuming the white iPhone, but also nice to have a spare.

Can get a little fiddly attaching the power to your battery depending on how it's placed (the positive terminal cover got in the way on mine so needed strategic placement to get the battery back in the back once fitted), but well worth spending a bit of extra time and getting the thing plugged and cabled properly.

Loving TomTom on my iPhone on my bike with 100% battery when I arrive at my destination!
on 10 December 2012
Having looked at various iphone and satnav mounts for my motorbike, that were basically bulky see through bags with a zip, this one seemed perfect. And it is!

It's easy to mount and remove and does exactly what it says on the tin. I've used it in a light shower and had no leaking issues.

The only down side was the small iphone charging wire that connects the universal charger lead to the phone, broke after the first use. It was replaced free of charge and I had the new one two days later. I think that it was just a faulty one, as the new one has worked perfectly, but I would be gentle with it as it seems fairly fragile.

All in all, though, I'm very happy with the product.
on 26 September 2012
This is an excellent iPhone holder with the charger working 100% as expected. I have been off road with it without any problems. It's sturdy and solid. The only problem I have with it is that I have forgotten the iPhone inside it because it fits in so well you can;t see it if it's turned off ;-) Also you can not use an iPhone when you wear a leather glove, so you have to remove the gloves to use the phone, but I guess that's expected.

It is an excellent way to mount the iPhone and use all its functions on a motorbike.
on 26 March 2013
Ordered this and woke up next morning and it had been delivered, fantastic! Took a week before I even got a chance to fit it. Once I did, I realised I could now use my phone as a camera and sat nav without having to buy any other products which would have set me back a few hundred quid. For the product itself, it is sturdy with the rubber mount and you can tighten the pivot preventing it from dropping whilst riding. All I need now is for the weather to pick up and I'll be happy as Larry, money well spent!

See one answered question