5.0 out of 5 stars Wholly satisfying
I recently purchased this without reading any reviews and was pleased to see how quickly I have come to love it. I was a bit worried because I have listened to his second CD "Ready for the Weekend" so much and the next one can often be a let down. Calvin Harris' third full album is anything but a let down, for me anyway.

There are quite a number of songs with...
Published on 23 Nov. 2012 by Tonythetenor

2.0 out of 5 stars Better 18 Years Ago
Published 2 months ago by Mr. Iain R. Wear

5.0 out of 5 stars Wholly satisfying, 23 Nov. 2012
This review is from: 18 Months (Audio CD)

There are quite a number of songs with artists like Kelis, Elie Goulding, Florence Welch, Rihanna etc. I thought perhaps there would be quite a bit of filler, but like the previous album, I find myself constantly listening all the way through instead of clicking past some tracks. And despite all the collaborations with big names, I quite love the pieces on his own. While "Mansion" and "School" aren't high-energy stunners, they work, and in some ways the toned down aspect acts to "clear the air" a bit, so the album has some mildly chill moments.

If I were forced to pick favourite tracks, I might say "Bounce", "Feel So Close", "Here 2 China", "We'll Be Coming Back" and "Thinking About You". But honestly, I love it from start to finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 26 Mar. 2013
Such a good album - It has all the anthems that have brought him to the mainstream and have turned him into a hit machine. These are absolute bangers start to finish please do yourself a favour and just buy it you won't regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars cd, 19 Mar. 2013
This review is from: 18 Months (Audio CD)
good cd, cant wait to have it pumping out my car when i pass. some tracks are a little dull but in gerneral a good product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Better 18 Years Ago, 21 Feb. 2015
This review is from: 18 Months (Audio CD)
I'll admit that when I first heard Calvin Harris, I put him down as some kind of novelty act. "Acceptable In the 80s" reminded me a little too much of Electric Six for me to be sure he was a credible artist and "Ready For the Weekend" had him coming across, at least to me, like a club DJ without much originality. Such is my knowledge of modern music that as soon as I decide he's not worth keeping an eye on, he then goes and works with Kylie Minogue and Rihanna and I find myself having a look at the bandwagon a little too late and playing catch up, as usual, coming in at the point of Harris' third album, "18 Months".

When my enjoyment of this album is lacking, maybe the fault is mine. What Calvin Harris does, he seems to do very well. But it feels as if he's found a formula that works for him and doesn't vary it a great deal. The last couple of tracks were slightly different, but for the most part, this is an album characterised by some strange 1980s computer game sound effects and some pumping 1990s style dance sounds. Many of the tracks here are very well put together, but they sound to me as if they were very well put together 18 years ago, rather than over the last 18 months. It's almost as if Calvin Harris has found a genre he really likes, but has then fallen into imitation of that genre rather than using it to inspire him.

For anyone who remembers the 1990s club scene with fondness, or has heard some of the singles from the album and liked them, you'll enjoy the album as a whole, as it's simply more of the same, plus a few tracks of filler. You get 15 tracks and 51 minutes of a nightclub scene and, depending on your nightclub, once you've added drinks from the off licence over an evening, this may actually turn out to be cheaper and less sweaty than a night out for the same music. However, once you start getting older as I have, this is far too much damage on both the ears and the wallet than I'm able to handle

This review may also appear, in whole or in part, under my name at any or all of www.ciao.co.uk, www.thebookbag.co.uk, www.goodreads.com, www.amazon.co.uk and www.dooyoo.co.uk

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Familiar Stuff, 8 Jan. 2014
Shelly C (Newcastle upon Tyne) - See all my reviews
This seemed like a bargain at only £1.99 and it was. There are a few songs on here that I recognise but to be honest there is also a lot which I can only describe as "just noise". Maybe I'm getting old but the first track was enough to make me want to switch off and not listen to any more. Thankfully the next one was familiar so I listed to the rest. Play the preview tracks first before you decide whether or not to buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok-ish, 17 Jun. 2013
This review is from: 18 Months (Audio CD)
Having seen the advert for this on TV I thought it sounded great but...It seems to take an age to actually get into the tracks as his build up is dragged out for eons! Alright album but not the best.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, 8 April 2013
C. Ridgway - See all my reviews
This review is from: 18 Months (Audio CD)
Very good if you like Calvin Harris. I found some of the songs abit flat, would prefer them to have been more up beat

5.0 out of 5 stars another great album, 21 Feb. 2013
This review is from: 18 Months (Audio CD)
Really good tracks,as always, great for the gym, really recommend this album,good choice of collaborations.can't wait for his next peice of genius.

3.0 out of 5 stars 18 Months deluxe, 14 Feb. 2013
The main CD was great but I found that the Deluxe bonus CD was a disappointment, if I knew that the bonus cd was mixed I would have just the ordinary CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars A collection of chart-toppers, 20 Jan. 2013
This review is from: 18 Months (Audio CD)
18 months might as well be called "Now that's what I call music!" for I could care; the majority of the tracks here have been released as singles and have been broadcasted on radio stations nationwide.

The songs themselves are very good, with tracks like "We found love" and "Bounce" being rather catchy. However when Harris doesn't have a guest artist to populate his songs, we approach album filler territory. ("Green Valley" and "School" being excellent examples.)

The variety of artists in this record help deviate the somewhat repetitive style to most of the songs; retro beeps and electronic drums dominate throughout.

If you've bought the singles, don't bother buying, your not missing much here. As a standalone album, it would have been better. It's a shame that I will recognized most of the album just by reading the track-list.

18 Months
18 Months by Calvin Harris (Audio CD - 2012)