5.0 out of 5 stars Country of the Blind
“Country of the Blind” is the first novel of Christopher Brookmyre’s that I have read and I can say with a great degree of certainty that after thoroughly enjoying this pacey and exciting thriller that I will be coming back for more.
Published on 5 Mar. 2006 by Rich Milligan

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow start, good finish
If you know what a McGuffin is, and who played New York cop John McClane and where, you'll probably enjoy Christopher Brookmyre. This is his slightly stodgy second published thriller, and you'll forgive and enjoy it more if you realise that it's also an action movie sequel. It's a re-tread of his debut "Quite Ugly One Morning", with basically the same...
Published on 14 Nov. 2001 by stevengough

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Country of the Blind, 5 Mar. 2006
Rich Milligan (Thatcham, Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Country Of The Blind (Paperback)
The book features the exploits of maverick journalist Jack Parlabane and apparently this likeable figure first appeared in one of Brookmyre’s earlier books “Quite Ugly one Morning” however for those like myself who haven’t (yet) read this earlier book this later book is perfectly enjoyable in its own right.
Set against the mounting dissatisfaction at the ineffective and over self-indulgent Tory government of John Major all hell breaks loose when Dutch media mogul Roland Voss is found murdered in a rambling country house in Scotland. Next to Voss’s body is that of his murdered wife and their two slain bodyguards lay outside their room. Almost immediately four likely lads are arrested for the crime including former burglar Thomas McInnes, his son Paul and a very strange guy who likes to be known as Spammy. The one sensible thing Thomas has done is lodged a letter with a lawyer before the crime has taken place. When this lawyer, Nicole Carrow, turns up at the Police station demanding to see her client the last thing she probably expected would be to have an attempt made on her life within hours.
As I say the book has a fantastic and intriguing storyline with lots of plots and sub-plots but for all this it never gets bogged down in detail or gets too clever for its own good. The writing is exciting and keeps the action bowling along at a cracking pace. The only fault I can pick with it is that Brookmyre does at points “write in Scottish” and I’d much rather imagine these accents than try to figure out what the characters are actually saying.
The characters are great fun and the writing is extremely humorous at times. There’s also a goodly portion of political commentary along the way which probably won’t agree with all readers but certainly for those of a left of centre persuasion it will be both poignant and amusing.
I can only really really recommend this book and I will definitely be trying one of his other books very soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Christopher Brookmyre v Colin Bateman, 4 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Country Of The Blind (Paperback)
A friend of mine recommended Christopher Brookmyre. As I am a big fan of Colin Bateman I thought I would enjoy this author. This is my first Brookmyre book and whilest I enjoyed it, I did not find it as funny as Bateman. Though I would say there was a lot more plot and boy was the plot twisty and turney with a lot of sidetracking (which i wsn't too keen on) and political references. I enjoyed the main plot. Strangely the friend that recommended Brookmyre tried a Bateman on my recomendation, but was equally unimpressed.
I had already bought some of Brookmyre's other books, so I will read them. Overall I was not as impressed as I thought I would be with this book. I am hoping that this will improve, maybe its just a case of getting used to his style of writing which I have to say is unique, and this does impress me.
If you are looking for something a bit different in the thriller/crime genre, that also has a bit of humour in it, then give this book a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars brookmyre is God, 10 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Country Of The Blind (Paperback)
I discovered Chris Brookmyre when I accidentally picked up a copy of "A big boy did it and ran away" prior to going on holiday. The first thirty pages were quite labour intensive however the reward for completing them is astounding. More original than Carl Hiaasen, Brookmyre is unrivalled in terms of satire. His stories are entertaining, at times painfully funny and filled with characters that lack the sort of sacharrin niceness but have humour and valiant vulnerability in equal measure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book of the year, 27 Nov. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Country Of The Blind (Hardcover)
Brilliant. Iain Banks meets Nelson de Mille. This is a very fast paced thriller with multiple plots, three dimensional characters and enough acidic one-liners to top up your conversation for months to come. This is by some way his best work to date (which is quite an achievement). Read it now or kick yourself later.

4.0 out of 5 stars The intrepid Parlabane is back, 3 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Country Of The Blind (Jack Parlabane Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
If bands have "difficult second albums", the I suppose this is Mr Brookmyres difficult second book - and it`s pretty good. Very much a slow start compared with the debut "Quite Ugly One Morning", so a bit of patience is required to navigate the opening chapter. In the second chapter Parlabane realises his relationship with Sarah is changing the way he looks at his job and his eagerness to dive into dangerous situations. But sure enough, ultimately he can`t resist the pull of a big story (nor can he ignore injustice), and so the fun begins.

The baddies in this story are the tabloids and the right wing politicians. Predictable targets perhaps, but very well written as always and you can`t help but root for the good guys. The story telling is assured, smart, witty and accelerates so you are well and truly sucked in.

I would suggest people read Mr Brookmyres books in order - there are characters who appear in several stories, so in a way each novel is a chapter in the overall.

Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, fast-paced thriller which could not be put down!, 30 Jun. 2000
This review is from: Country Of The Blind (Paperback)
As per the others comments this book starts superbly well and just gets better. The characters are all believable and, if Scottish, you can recognise how true to life these characters can be. I hope that this can be turned into a movie as it has the potential to be as good as any other British movies of the same ilk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brookmyre does it again, 28 Jan. 2002
This review is from: Country Of The Blind (Paperback)
After Quite Ugly One Moring I couldn't wait to get my teeth into the next in line from Brookmyre. Like some others who have reviewed this I too felt the start slow as the characters were introduced and the scene set but there is enough of the CB humour I love to keep me going until the familiar Brookmyre sky rocket of plot and laughs grips halfway through taking the climax to neighbour waking laughter once again. The scene in the woods with the football kick had me crying with laughter. Get it. Get them all. You will not grieve your lost sleep.

5.0 out of 5 stars brillantly written Scottish thriller, 15 July 1999
This review is from: Country Of The Blind (Paperback)
This book had me hooked from the first page. Brookmyre's description of the young lawyer's first clients had me in hysterics from chapter one. (Speaking as a lawyer myself - it is completely accurate although its not so funny having to endure Mrs McGrotty in the flesh on a daily basisI can tell you!) Having gotten off to such a great start I thought it could not get any better but the story was excellent and the characters all very credible and interesting! The style of writing is very 90s Scotland and I just loved this book! I have just ordered all Brookmyres other novels.

4.0 out of 5 stars Too Many Rants, 1 Aug. 2012
elkiedee "elkiedee" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Country Of The Blind (Paperback)
Nicole Carrow is a young solicitor in Glasgow who finds herself at the centre of a media storm after she defends four men accused of murdering a newspaper tycoon. Then she gets home to find a strange man in her flat who tells her that her life is in danger.

Jack Parlabane is an investigative journalist who has been looking into Nicole's controversial case. He will protect her if she goes with him. Showing a surprising degree of trust, she consents. Luckily for her, Jack is a good guy. Unfortunately though, he's right about the danger, and the events which follow suggest his optimism could be misplaced.

Meanwhile, a bus taking a group of men held on terrorism charges explodes, and they escape. They are sure that the trial they face won't be fair and they expect long sentences. These 4 men are small time criminals. Brookmyre skilfully shows their life on the run and the developing relationships of friendship and affection between them.

These two storylines are interwoven before coming together near the end of the book. I read on to find out if Jack and his girlfriend Sarah would help Nicole, whether the escapees can survive and stay outside. etc.

Jack and Sarah also featured in a previous book, Quite Ugly One Morning and I appreciated the chance to meet up with them again. Their friend Jenny the rebellious policewoman from that book also reappears, albeit only briefly. I also liked the characters of the escapees.

As was the case in the other book by the author I've read, the baddies in this book are fairly obvious - they are Tory politicians and those with powerful vested interests in maintaining the status quo.

So, I liked the characters. The plot didn't seem that substantial to me and relied heavily on conspiracy. The book was quite slow paced. The previous book was very funny and quite political with some passages of ranting, and I expected the second to be similar. It turned out to be less humorous than I expected, with similar politics, and to have a lot of passages given to political ranting. I don't really mind whether or not a book is very funny, but even I got bored with the rants and I have a high tolerance for these things when the political comment is on the side of the fence I'm on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excelent noevel from Mr Brookmyer, 9 Feb. 2014
Another great read from Brookmyer. I love this author. His characters are strong, the humour and human observation are spot on. I sometimes find myself laughing at things I really should not. Get it, read it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Country Of The Blind (Jack Parlabane Book 2)