4.0 out of 5 stars Different and darker
Published on 20 May 2011 by FCS

3.0 out of 5 stars Little bit lacklustre!
I'm going to find it hard to put into words why I didn't really find myself wanting to finish this book. I love all of Nalini's books to date and although I still think the story telling is good and necessary for the development of the plot, I really didn't warm to the book.

Published on 4 Jun. 2011 by Fantasy Fan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Different and darker, 20 May 2011
Technically this is the 7th book in Singh's Psy-Changeling series but it moves the story away from the changelings and whilst the DarkRiver leopards make a few 'guest' appearances the SnowDancers aren't featured at all. Dev Santos was first seen in Clay and Tally's stories and "The Forgotten" featured again in the 5th book. The enigmatic director of the Shine Foundation is neither changeling nor Psy, but does have elements of both races - having certain powers and being an 'alpha' in terms of possessiveness and personality. Katya is a Psy whose pysche has been broken, she is 'weaker' than the women from earlier books in terms of her Psy powers, but she still faces many of the same problems trying to live outside the PsyNet.

The different characters and location makes for an interesting change of pace, and this book is darker than others in the series. I liked it a lot - and I think after 6 books it's a measure of Singh's talent that she can move out of the 'comfortable' world of DarkRiver and SnowDancers and still deliver a book which is cohesive within that world. It also moves the overall story arc forward as it deals with the fracturing of the PsyNet and the tension between emotion and Silence. It also brings us some interesting information about characters from other books.

I think some fans will find this a disappointment as it moves away from the changelings, and it's certainly not my favourite book in the series (currently jointly held by books 1 & 6) but it is a compelling read and I liked the bleak, dark tone of it. This book is almost the complete opposite of book 6 "Blaze of Passion" - but as I've said, I like the fact that Singh can switch pace and tone and not make each book from the same 'formula' - something which is unfortunately all too common in series like these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blaze Of Memory is unadulterated reading pleasure!, 18 Nov. 2009
There hasn't been one book by Nalini Singh that failed to give me sheer reading pleasure. And I'm almost afraid I'm jinxing myself with this statement but Nalini Singh is one of those rare authors on my shelves who have yet to write a book that is a letdown for me. If I thought I knew what to expect within the Psy/Changeling series she dishes out a story like Blaze Of Memory to prove me wrong. The different point of view I was presented with delivered an exquisite read with all I came to treasure within this series and then some.

Blaze Of Memory delves deeper in to the Psy past with The Forgotten and how Silence came to be. I always considered myself a changeling kinda gal until Devraj and Katerina a.k.a Katya. Until their story with its undeniable potent feelings shred the cold of Silence. It picked me up, took me in to an alternate world and three hundred and seventy three pages later I was oh so reluctant to leave. I was stunned that the Psy could rattle my emotions like that. It was a masterful entwining of the romance story, a Psy history lesson and new plotlines accelerating the overall story arc.

Dev and Katya are the beating heart of this story and the set up is something I will never get enough of; the impossible romance. Everything that Katya is should repel Dev but the instincts she awakens in him are his Achilles heel. From day one their constrained emotions are a flammable essence waiting for its first chance to fully ignite. Add the lush writing style of Singh and it feels like it only emphasizes on that blatant sensuality simmering between Dev and Katya. It is a heady mix of yearning for something that goes against everything you know and have been taught, and at the same time knowing that it will be the greatest thing you ever experienced. I couldn't get enough of the romance or of the information that came to me at a steady pace. It worked together as it gradually succumbed me to the mesmerizing pull of this story.

Dev is Psy and director of the Shine foundation. His powers and position make him distant, shouldering the responsibility of many who depend on him and often he has to make tough decisions for the good of The Forgotten. Everything about him screams rigid control until Katya comes along and bares another side of him. The vigorous side, the humorous side and the side that feels so deep you wonder how he is able to hide it.

Katya is all Psy and conditioned by Silence. Her circumstances take her to the Shine foundation and to the doorstep of Dev. She is a woman where vulnerability is fused with strength, innocence is dallying with a smart attitude and where Silence is warring with the uncovered need to touch, feel, love and tease all the senses. Her psyche is as intriguing as her personality and she fueled this story with a wide range of sensations.

Dev and Katya are not right for each other, mostly due to matter outside their control, it's forcing them to always keep the risks in mind. The intensity of their dialogues made me feel that maddening sense of desperation, at one hand romance was blossoming and at the other hand they knew it was never going to be. Nalini Singh created one hell of an obstacle where there was no way out for Katya and Dev. I could see no way out as I read the chapters and the consequences of that obstacle fully came to be in this story. It was emotion in its purest form, drama bled from the pages and I was in shock for a few moment as I reached that nerve wrecking but beautiful conclusion.

There's something else that I realized as I closed this book and that is that though the point of view is given from the Psy, and it made some things a little bit more understandable, it didn't affect my overall sense of right and wrong in this world. It can happen when an author gives a perspective from, what I consider to be the evil doers, boundaries fade and things can get kind of confusion. Nothing of the sort happened in Blaze Of Memory, The Forgotten achieved a special place and became a more visible part of the Psy/Changeling world. But there is more that fleshes out this world like vividly drawn secondary characters, they speak to me, both newly introduced and recurring ones. Apparently there is a new pack on the horizon named RainFire with pack leader Remington. The nani of Dev was also a hoot to meet, but more of The Forgotten like Jack and Will, Tag and Tiara flavored this story. Not to mention we've got a plethora of Changeling with their mates and children adding to the plotline. Sasha, Lucas, Dorian, Ashaya, Noor, Keenan, Judd, I got to meet them all and through them I received small slivers of information that is casually mentioned but intrigue me nonetheless.

I love being in this world! Each character matters to me and when the romance, the tightly plotted scheming and overall story arc, along with the information seamlessly flows together, all of my hot buttons are pushed to experience an outstanding paranormal romance. Blaze Of Memory is unadulterated reading pleasure!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another 5 stars for Nalini!, 1 Dec. 2009
As with all the books in this series there is an excellent plot and the romance is totally captivating and keeps you glued to the pages. However, what made it for me was the insight into what it was like to be Psy before Silence. The letters of a Psy woman writing to her infant son about their life and the struggles she had to avoid the radical condition is a heartbreaking read. It's a beautiful depiction of a mothers love for her children as well as how some Psy felt they were driven to Silince as a way of protection.

This book will make you well up in places. I was pregnant at the time of reading it and it really resonated with me because it's about the hopes and aspirations a parent has for it's child, about grandparents and their fight for freedom ...and those who didn't make it in the end.

So much more than your usual romance. Nalini is a genius.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars - a key book in the series, 19 Jan. 2011
I love this series and have now read all of the books - some more than once!! However, this one I had initially skipped as I wasnt keen to read one where the main characters were all non-Changeling (I didnt enjoy Max and Sophie's much and that put me off this book). However, later books in the series made me realise that this book was important as it outlined the whole background to the Forgotten as well as delivering some important character details such as how little Noor and Keenan's talents work and why Dev was called to help the wolves eliminate the metal camera's the Psy put on their land.

Very soon into it, I was converted and I really liked Dev and Katya's story. I thought NS did a great job developing not only Dev's character but also the background to the Forgotten and what Shine is all about. It was the only book of the series so far that actually made me shed a tear towards the end and I can't recommend it enough for those reading the series. The reader also gets to see a bit more of characters like Sasha - learning she is one of the best at crafting shields, she comes into the story to help one of Shine's newest kids. Also there was a touching bit with Judd and Dev's young nephew.

If you like this series, don't skip this book (or any of them for that matter - apart from Max's maybe.......).

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-worth waiting for!, 4 Nov. 2009
Are you already a fan of Nalini Singh's Psy-Changeling series, like me? Provided that is the case, I'm sure that you have been eagerly waiting for "Blaze of Memory", book 7 in the series.

To avoid the suspense, let me tell you first that this book is well-worth the waiting period. As the other books that came before it, this is a well-written paranormal romance novel that combines action and interesting characters, fitting seamlessly with the rest of the series, and the original world that Nalini created. In this opportunity, the main character is Dev Santos, the Director of the Shine Foundation and a man whose main task is to protect the gifted children that some in the Psy Council seek to destroy. But what will he do when this need to protect clashes with his attraction to Katya, an amnesic Psy woman that might well be a covert assassin sent to kill him and his people?

If you don`t have the faintest idea what that very fast summary was about, you are new to the series. In that case, don`t worry, you can always catch up, but I suggest you to begin by reading the first book in the Psy-Changeling series, "Slave to sensation". I suppose you could read "Blaze of memory" as a standalone, but by doing so you won`t be able to appreciate the textured world Nalini Singh created, or understand so well dynamics that are explained in the part of the story arch covered in previous books.

On the whole, "Blaze of memory" is a great book in an excellent series that deserves to be read in order, so that you can fully enjoy it. Highly recommended...

Belen Alcat

3.0 out of 5 stars Little bit lacklustre!, 4 Jun. 2011

I have no problem with the move away from the changelings but what I felt was that Dev and Katya's relationship just appeared out of no-where, no build up and no real reason for the attraction. As individuals I liked them both but it took me over a hundred pages (which took me a week to read!) to start to enjoy the story. Even the ending, which I won't give away, didn't inspire me and I don't know if I really believed it could happen.

Having said that, it was readable and if you intend to continue with the series, this is a must read. I have already started "Bonds of Justice" and that looks like it's going to be a good one. All I can say is read "Blaze of Memory" and make your own mind up. I think it's one of those books you'll either like or dislike!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Psy-Changeling book 7, 4 Oct. 2014
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This series just gets better and better with every single book and I'm at the point now where I'd find it impossible to pick a favourite couple! I don't know how Nalini Singh does it but she consistently writes books that suck me in from the first page and that I can't put down for anything. Blaze of Memory is a little different to the earlier books because we have two Psy main characters. To be honest I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy it as much because of that since the Psy characters can often take longer to warm up to than the Changelings & humans but as usual Nalini proved me wrong and had me hooked very early on.

This story gives us a lot more information on the history of the Psy and how Silence came into existence. Dev is the leader of the Forgotten Psy, decendents of the Psy who refused to accept Silence as an option and who left the Psynet determined to find another way. The Psy have hunted the Forgotten ever since and it is Dev's job to keep his people safe. He is ruthless when it comes to their protection and prepared to do whatever it takes but the more he blurs the lines the harder and colder he becomes.

When Katya is left on his doorstep beaten and bruised with no memory of how she got there or even where she came from Dev is immediately suspicious. He suspects that she has been sent as a spy for the Psy council and he is sure that she can't be trusted but no matter how often he reminds himself of that fact he can't seem to resist her. Katya has been through hell and only just survived to tell the tale, as her memories start to return she only becomes even more convinced that she is a danger not just to Dev but also to all of the Forgotten and she hates the thought that someone could be controlling her without her realising it. Katya is an incredibly strong woman, she had to be to survive her ordeal and we really get to see that strength as her memories come back and she starts to realise exactly what was done to her. She isn't the kind of woman who will give up and she becomes determined to turn on the person who programmed her - even if it costs her her life.

I don't want to say too much more about the plot but I found this was an incredibly fast paced story and I completely fell in love with both Dev and Katya. They go through so much and there were times when my heart broke for them - at one point I was having trouble reading because of the tears that were rolling down my face! This book is darker than some of the earlier stories and I definitely found it more emotional, everything feels so desperate and it really does feel like there is no chance of a happy ending. I'm not going to tell you how things end so I'll just say that there are some really interesting developments to the world as a whole and with some of the characters we've already met in the previous books. This series is definitely a favourite and I'll buy ANYTHING that Nalini Singh ever writes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fractured memories, 2 April 2011
C. Manning (London, UK) - See all my reviews
When Dev Santos finds an unconscious battered woman on his doorstep, he takes her into his care. Katya has been stripped of her memories and programmed to carry out an unknown task. All she knows is that she is dangerous. Dev feels duty bound to eliminate any threat to the safety of his people but is irrevocably drawn to Katya. Together they must work to discover who Katya is, and what her captors programmed her to do.

This is the seventh book in Nalini Singh's incredible Psy-Changeling series, and the first to not include a changeling as a lead character. Instead this book focuses on the world of the Forgotten, the psy who refused Silence when it was introduced and abandoned the Psy Net. Both Dev and Katya have had small roles in previous books, and I didn't really like them that much and I think that impacted my enjoyment of this book.

Dev is the head of the Shine foundation and a key part of protecting the Forgotten from the Psy Council. He's pretty standoffish and I found I missed having a changeling as a lead. Katya has no idea who she is at the beginning of the book so it was interesting to see her discovering who she was, and deciding who she wants to be. I really liked watching Katya's journey, especially as uncovering her secrets also led to the discovery of other hidden facets of the Psy world.

The book does give greater insight into the Psy Council, and Ming le Bon in particular. It also looks at the Forgotten society as a whole and reasks an old question from the series - are some psy designations safer with silence? There are more hints about a mysterious X-Psy designation, which will most likely affect Hawke and Sienna's book (Kiss of Snow out later this year). Sherrilyn Kenyon did a similar breadcrumb trail when she was building up to Acheron so I hope the pay-off is as good.

All in all, this was a interesting read and I'm looking forward to Bonds of Justice.

Plot: 10/10
Characters: 9/10
Ending: 10/10
Enjoyment: 9/10
Cover: 7/10

Overall: 45/50

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good story line, 13 Dec. 2009
Once more Nalini hasn't failed to deliver although it did take me a while to get into this story. To start with I felt a little off because the story was about the forgotten (psy) and the psy, and not the changlings as per normal. I did feel better when they started to appear though.
When you get to the near end you think "Awww! the psy arent all evil" and then the tissues came out (good sign for me!)

I would have loved to have seen Dev using his powers a bit more then he did that would have been great, but then I suppose the psy would have picked up on the forgotten... damn twists lol! Oh and the arrows..... patiently waiting for that situation to explode.

Anyway all in all it was another good book to add to my collection. Wonder if she will do a celebration book where all the characters we have seen so far get together?

5.0 out of 5 stars Different yet still amazing, 4 July 2010
I've recently just discoved the world of the psy-changling world created in Nalini Singh's series, the first novel I read being Faith and Vaughn's story in 'Vision of Heat.' 'Blaze of Memory' was a totally different experience. The contrasting characters of the cold, metallic Dev and the bruised, tormented Katya is a storyline that's been used to exhaustion, the guy coming to the rescue of the girl. However, Katya - small and vulnerable as she is - has steel in her spine and a will of iron, strong enough to overcome the very man who controls the unyielding metallic compounds, Dev.

This story had me laughing, crying and loving by the end, taken on the emotional rollarcoaster that sets this book from the rest in the series.

5/5 I loved it!! :D