5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect follow up to the BBC's Opera Season
Published on 20 Feb. 2012 by Angela

3.0 out of 5 stars dissapointed
When I bought it I thought it was him singing some arias, but that it's not explain correctly on your web
Published on 9 Feb. 2013 by Edward Collins

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect follow up to the BBC's Opera Season, 20 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Rolando Villazon's Guide To Opera (Audio CD)
As a big fan of the superstar tenor I really enjoyed Rolando Villazon's appearances on 'Popstar to Operastar' as Mentor and performer. He is now appearing as presenter in a similar programme on German TV but this is more like 'Cardiff Singer of the World' with rising young opera singers. He modestly said that he would not have been given the prestigious role without having done 'Popstar to Operastar'. He certainly conveys his knowledge of opera in an entertaining and warm hearted way. The introduction by Rolando on the CD insert is utterly charming. I hope you too will enjoy the "wonderful moments of this glorious art form with some of the greatest performers of both the past and present" selected for us here by Rolando.

Rolando Villazon contributed to the 2010 BBC Radio3 In Tune's A-Z of Opera which is still available on podcast on the BBC R3 website. Entertaining and informative it celebrates opera through the eyes of the world's leading singers, conductors, directors and opera enthusiasts. Rolando contributed to the programme celebrating the tenor. Also on the Radio3 website is a timeline which takes us through opera from 1597 to 2010 describing the opera genres and top composers.

For the 2011 BBC's Opera Season programmes Rolando Villazon was presenter of BBC4's 'What Makes a Great Tenor?' "The great tenor Rolando Villazon takes us inside the world of the sexiest and most risky of all operatic voices." Standing on the stage of the Royal Opera House, taking us behind the scenes, introducing clips and talking to major stars he was a brilliant programme presenter and guide. Also on BBC4 the lauded Opera Italia series with Royal Opera House Director Antonio Pappano traced the history of Italian Opera and featured some of the stars on this CD.

I have only one minor criticism, of 'Voi Che Sapete' which is the embellished version to showcase a soprano voice. I find some of the notes rather strange, flat or 'sagging'. I have several versions of this delightful aria in my collection and this is my least favourite. Magdalena Kozena is a MET star with a large discography and is otherwise worthy of inclusion here.

3.0 out of 5 stars dissapointed, 9 Feb. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have, 30 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Rolando Villazon's Guide To Opera (Audio CD)
I brought this for myself after hinting for it and no one buying it - I love it especially in the car as its the perfect mix

2.0 out of 5 stars Feeling a little "Conned" !, 15 July 2011
avid ravid (Dorchester, Dorset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rolando Villazon's Guide To Opera (Audio CD)
Whilst this is a perfectly acceptable medley of Operatic performances the only connection with Rolando Villazon was a few paragraphs written on the fly of the CD. I was expecting at least an introduction from him - this is not "Rolando Villazon's Guide to Opera" , it is a compilation disc. Jumping on the bandwagon of Rolando's popularity arising from the "Popstar to Operastar" programme. Rolando Villazon is a superb artist, I am surprised that he gave his endorsement to this product which appears to have little if anything to do with him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent CD, 3 May 2014
Amazon Customer (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rolando Villazon's Guide To Opera (Audio CD)
This is an excellent CD with a great selection of arias and indeed voices. A really good addition to your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Opera CD, 4 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Rolando Villazon's Guide To Opera (Audio CD)
An easy listening opera compilation that I've played over and over. I bought this copy for my daughter who loves it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Villazons Guide to Opera, 26 July 2011
Mr. John Shaw - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rolando Villazon's Guide To Opera (Audio CD)
This disk contained many great recordings and currently I am still working my way through them. It was excellent value and the delivery service was great.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 18 July 2011
This review is from: Rolando Villazon's Guide To Opera (Audio CD)
All my favourite opera music on two discs! I've played it over and over again. It is giving me so much pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Nov. 2014
Brilliant!

Rolando Villazon's Guide To Opera
Rolando Villazon's Guide To Opera by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2011)