on 28 July 2012
Item just arrived, when I saw the negative review I tried it out on my laptop immediately and it works just fine. In fact, I'm writing this review whilst connected using the cable. So you can't argue with that.

Compact, lightweight, cheap and no fuss. This item is going to live in my laptop bag for emergencies. In fact I'm tempted to buy a couple as spares.
on 18 December 2012
I purchsed this about a month and half ago; but never used it. However, when I did (about a week ago), I realized that the piece I received was defective.

Was very disappointed because I surely had passed the return/ replacement chance. Regardless, wrote to the supplier and in return got a confirmation that a replacement is on its way. ... honestly I didn't expect this.

The new piece is working ALL PERFET -- no problems.
on 23 June 2013
This is ideal if you want to do away with the bright and thick standard cables. They are discrete and work perfectly connecting Youview, satellite and Playstaion to Unmanaged switch and then the internet
on 8 February 2013
I use this to bring a Nano-router so I can use WiFi in hotels and teaching venues. Compact and handy. It is probably not as solid as a normal cable, but what do you expect? I think it is a nice trade-off.
on 4 September 2014
Handy little gadget. Cheap and cheaply made but ideal to keep in your toolkit for those engineering people who want to test an ethernet connection quickly without the runaround for a standard cable.
on 13 September 2014
wire goes a bit curly, but a neat and tidy way of keeping a small Ethernet cable to hand without manually having to wrap one up and tie it off with a cable tie.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I have a friend who will shortly be taking a holiday with his wife to Greece. He will be taking his iPad and a mini, wireless router with him, including a 5ft CAT5e cable to connect the router to the hotel's Ethernet network. It was the thought of him taking a 5ft Ethernet cable which prompted me to purchase this product. Being little more than 3 inches long and weighing next to nothing, this retractable Ethernet cable would take up far less room in his luggage than a conventional CAT5/6 cable.

I subsequently purchased 2 of these items and gave one to my friend. I have been able to evaluate mine and it works well enough but not without a minor niggle. It may not offer quite the same speed performance of a proper cable but for occasional use it is perfectly adequate and ideal as a travelling accessory.

My only slight niggle/reservation is the quality of the retracting mechanism. On the few occasions I have used the item, I found it deploys the cable easily enough, even to its full 5ft length, but the 'retractor', basically a spring, is just a little too weak to provide a decisive and complete retraction. There were times when the mechanism got stuck and I had to pull out the cable ends before 'gently' permitting the retractor to pull in both ends of the cable. This technique often took several attempts to perfect. The 'sticking' is reminiscent of a car safety belt which fails to retract once released. A gentle tugging of the webbing can release the belt retractor and the webbing will, once again, retract back into its housing.

The price of this item is another bonus. If it fails to perform, e.g. gets permanently stuck 'open', it is cheap enough to be replaced. In this price bracket it will be difficult to find a better performer.
on 27 September 2013
Very useful when requiring to store no cables spilling all over the place, Can be retracted to the correct length require with no issue.
on 21 October 2012
This cable did not work for me but it is only Cat5 and not Cat5e which is the safer option for compatibility.
on 1 July 2013
Bought these for a messy system of static cat 5 cables and now there is order where once there was chaos!

See one answered question