4.0 out of 5 stars A book within a book
Published 17 months ago by Caroline A Connell

1.0 out of 5 stars Tedious
I am very interested in this era and the subject matter I find endlessly fascinating. However, this book was probably one of the most tedious I have ever read. It's had virtually no story line, limited connections to the the Cathars and the most appalling ending. This was so sudden that I thought I had an incomplete download. Could not recommend it from any point of view .
Published on 19 Jan 2012 by Eileen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Tedious, 19 Jan 2012
Eileen (northampton, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars The Secret of the Cathars, 19 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Secret of the Cathars (Kindle Edition)
Although I am fascinated with the subject matter and the setting of this book, it did not grab me at all...the writing is not very dynamic and certain passages took me back to marking pupils' essays.....I was very disappointed, especially as this was my first Kindle experience. It is not often that I give up on a book, but I was not engaged by the characters at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars A book within a book, 4 April 2013
This review is from: The Secret of the Cathars (Kindle Edition)
This book is interesting - it focusses on areas that people like to read about, such as cathars and the langedoc region, and the writer presents a reasonable plot line, developed where essential (eg in the specifics of the search), and has a length appropriate for a low-priced e-book. I think that it is value for money in that regard which is why I give it four stars.
What I see in this book, though, and what interests me, is that it could actually be a precis or extract from another, wider, bigger, not-yet-written book, a rumbustious, big-money thriller. For example, the book could run, in parallel, the story of the research that the protagonists relative had undertaken (which could be both scholarly in libraries and musty archives and geeky on the internet), and perhaps led to her death, perhaps at the hands of one of the other players in the story. It could cover how the merovingian happened to be there, with some back story, perhaps an ill-fated romance with the protagonists relative. Maybe they met whilst she undertook scholarly research in Paris? Maybe his famhouse was where she secretly worked whilst in the region. What conflicts did this engender? What would this mean for the protagonist? The marseilles thugs need a back-story too, and all of this would facilitate action across a wider variety of locations, which the story needs in order to add verve. I would also tweak the character of the protagonist slightly, remove the anachronisms, and explain one or two oddities (like being able to cut a long path through trees without anyone else on that hill hearing trees being felled etc).
Like others, I would tweak the ending - maybe the hero could secretly video the conversation and place it on YouTube, perhaps with copies etc. Maybe add in some geek-tech to make it go viral, suggesting a new world order, at which point the book would end and leave everything open for a sequel.
This story is more than capable of being developed by the writer into something much bigger, a classic 500 page thriller. That the writer has been able to produce it thus far (in particular the search sequences) suggests that he is more than capable of taking it to the next level.
I am looking forward to seeing how this writer develops over time.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Secret of the Cathars, 1 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Secret of the Cathars (Kindle Edition)
Disappointed with this as it didn't grip me at all. Too many characters being introduced early on as central characters so became confused.

2.0 out of 5 stars The secret of the cathars, 12 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Secret of the Cathars (Kindle Edition)
All right on a rainy day, a bit too obvious. The characters were a bit one dimensional, I didn't like the rush to tie up the loose ends.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Cathar's Secret?, 12 July 2013
Mrs. C. Hawkins "History Cal" (Derbyshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret of the Cathars (Kindle Edition)
A Kindle find I did not know the author. I did enjoy The Secret Of The Cathars but wished it had not been what seemed to me, such a short rushed ending! I liked the idea of the limited discussion about how Christianity would have been affected if the Cathar's secret became known to all. I won't elaborate on the secret, as I wouldn't wish to spoil the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 star read, 7 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Secret of the Cathars (Kindle Edition)
Excellent read once it got going i got through it in a day from my sick bed highly recommended .....

3.0 out of 5 stars a good read, 1 July 2013
Simon Isherwood (Leigh, Lancashire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret of the Cathars (Kindle Edition)
This is an interesting book, starts fairly slowly but then develops quite well, some of the plots could have been better and it seemed a little rushed at the end with no great conclusions but worth a read if you like the area and are interested in Cathar history

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 18 April 2013
W. Pass (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret of the Cathars (Kindle Edition)
I expected so much more from this book. I think the title seemed so specific, I really thought it wouldbe more about the Cathars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 4 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Secret of the Cathars (Kindle Edition)
The leading character is a clown. He says that he cannot speak French yet a lot of dialogue would be spoken in that language and he seems to have no problem with understanding what is said. It is not clear how some of the characters knew of the treasure. An appalling ending.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›