on 1 October 2011
I've been using this drive for almost two months now and it's been working great. It's fast, looks great and feels very sturdy. It can be mounted horizontally or vertically. The aluminum case keeps the drive cool and is very well built. This product is great and there's plenty of space for backup and extra storage!
on 3 October 2012
This hard drive is absolutely fantastic! I already own two of these drives from LaCie and needed another to store video footage for Final Cut Pro X, using with the Firewire 800 connection with an iMac 21.5" (Intel core i5), and it works fine. Super easy to us straight out of the box. No problem! I highly recommend this drive to anyone who needs a fast, reliable and trust-worthy storage solution.
on 17 March 2013
EDITED - SEE BELOW

March 2013 : I have a number of LaCie external drives (previous generation D2 Quadra, 2 x 2Big RAID) and have always been impressed by the performance and build quality. I will always pay more for a quality product, especially to avoid plastic enclosures. Reliability has never been a problem and the only slight quibbles have been that one of the 2Big units has a relatively noisy fan, and all units make an electronic 'whoop' noise as the drives spin-up.

This new D2 Quadra unit is virtually silent - starting-up, reading & writing, and shutting down - a big improvement. Unlike some of the other reviewers I have not had any problems with interfaces not working - USB, FireWire, and eSata all work fine (eSata via my QNAP NAS).

This new drive is almost perfect except for one thing - the blue LED strobes brightly when the unit is reading or writing (far more than the subtle flicker on my other LaCie units), and it really catches my eye. I'm not aware that the LED can be deactivated.

Overall, definitely recommended.

EDIT June 2015 :

After a little more than two years of light use (it's been used as a Time Machine backup disk for my Mac, so total runtime will have been modest) the unit has suddenly died. Won't stay mounted, won't transfer data, permissions can't be repaired (Mac Disk Utility software) without reformatting the disk (which would erase all the data). I've had several LaCie drives and none have failed yet - I'm not happy that this 'premium' unit has had such a short lifespan.

Recommendation now has to be be "avoid".
on 7 August 2013
Hello,

Pretty good hard drive for a year. I bought one of the Quadra model, it has been now 3 times that the adapter died.
This is a bit ridiculous for this top product. I own 3WD one of them is 8 years old, still no problem.
The best is that lacie refused to exchange it. To be fair it was out of warranty, but this is an issue which is all over the internet, so I guess it was not my fault that 3 charger died in 2 years.

I decided not to buy any of these anymore.
VINE VOICEon 31 December 2012
I bought this to replace a Seagate drive which died at three years old.

I have two other 1TB Quadras and they never falter or give problems, so I replaced the dead drive with this new Quadra.

I plugged it in, formatted it as a Mac (Journalled) Drive, copied the contents to it from the backup copy and now it sits purring away (well no sits totally silently) delivering VMWare VIrtual Machines, video and video editing files, images and iTunes) and is flawless.
Plenty of storage (2TB) but it is more the build quality that is the issue here - superb. I have another Quadra drives that is a mere 500GB and is 5 years old and still going very strong.
The d2 Quadra gives USB2/3, eSata and Firewire interfaces and the good thing is also that the box comes with all the appropriate heavy duty connector leads too. The case is vented, engineering grade aluminium and for the home / small business this is about the best external hard drive range you can get. Not the cheapest but you get what you pay for. Back up software inlcuded should you need it and the drives can be stacked in a special holder that Lacie sell
on 5 April 2013
Using it as my FCPX disc. Great for my use. Buying another as back up disc for Time Machine (one more word required!)
on 29 September 2012
LaCie is certainly stylish and well built, providing a massive 2TB storage too.

This is certainly not the cheapest way to get 2TB storage. I thought I was buying quality and a robust solution to my backup needs. The LaCie also comes complete with E-SATA an USB interfaces. Should be perfect.

BUT NOT QUITE:
Installation is straight forward. Except when I connected via E-SATA the drive and computer just did not recognise each other. Retrying with the USB lead and everything worked perfectly. But I paid a premium for the E-SATA interface and it does not work.

Then there is the downloadable 'Genie Timeline' backup software which setup tells you to install in order to manage and control what gets backed up and the frequency of backups. And here is the crunch -the 'free' version of Genie only allows backup of data files. The real reason I bought a 2TB drive was to mirror my whole system. No, to activate the 'Disaster Recovery' option one has to upgrade Genie at a cost of a further 54.95! After already paying nearly £180 for the unit I consider this hidden extra cost by LaCie as tantamount to extortion. The sales blurb is misleading as the purchase price does not deliver the expected capability.
on 6 November 2012
I got one of these to do office backups. I run weekly backups on Fridays, and then store them for a month. At the end of the month I run the backups on to tape, and then cycle out the backups. This thing stores them with heaps of space to spare.
on 23 March 2013
As long as it works, it's fine. But they go wrong. In particular, they suffer from a problem with the power supply. I quote from LaCie: 'Although the device may appear to be receiving adequate power, the slightest defect in an external power supply transformer can cause HDD mechanisms to mimic hardware failure. It would be advisable to replace the power supply as a first point of troubleshooting.' Right. So mine was a 4Terabyte unit, and the new power unit costs guess how much? £20? £40? £60? Well, it would have to be a very good unit to cost that much surely? And actually it costs £85. Yes, that's £85 I have to spend to check out whether my original power unit is faulty or not. And you might think that these units must be very good to cost so much - except that clearly they are not, as mine has already gone wrong. Oh, and if the discs are corrupted, the price for repair after the warranty period is truly impressive. Truly.

My advice? Don't go there. Go to JustCloud or one of the others, and leave all these problems behind. Frankly, once you buy into one of these units, and it goes wrong, they have you by the short and curlies as your data is worth a lot more than their machine, so they can charge what they like. So they do.

Go Cloud.