5.0 out of 5 stars Shame there is no "just cleaning windows"
Published on 17 Jun. 2011 by dannunzio19

3.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed
I love Pearl Jam (or rather did when I was a teenager!) and was hoping to rekindle some warm youthful memories through Eddie Vedder's distinct rasping voice, combined with my latest love: the ukulele...

Published 18 months ago by Blooming Loopy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Shame there is no "just cleaning windows", 17 Jun. 2011
dannunzio19 (st albans, england) - See all my reviews
A wonderful collection of soulful tunes from the rock God filled with great covers and many beautiful originals. This album is battling out with King Cresote 'diamond mine' on my Ipod at the moment and I have never felt more relaxed. There has been a journey to this album in Eddie's solo work and this is a worthwhile destination. I'll always love 'Ten' but this album makes me feel better about getting older!

5.0 out of 5 stars Eddie at his finest, 2 Jun. 2011
N. Baker (UK) - See all my reviews
Any Eddie Vedder fans out there will love this. With the whole thing being played on a ukulele, there's obviously a mellow, simple sound to the album. A selection of covers, with some great originals (lyrics up there will the best of Pearl Jam's stuff). The perfect summer collection, highly recommended for anyone who likes Pearl Jam or Eddie's previous solo work.

For those wondering about packaging (and why this is listed as "Hardback Book"), here's the scoop:
The album comes in a smooth matt hardback case (as opposed to your standard plastic case), with a sleeve attached inside for the CD itself. The liner notes are lyrics and photogaphs of Eddie and his uke.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Songs From A Big Heart, 2 Jun. 2011
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ukulele Songs (Audio CD)
There is a song on Eddie Vedder's album 'Ukelele Songs'
which almost made me weep. It is called 'Without You'.
It is one of the most beautiful sad songs I've ever heard.
The narrow scope of Mr Vedder's vision is its greatest strength.
One man and his ukeleles; a seamless conjunction; a whole world
in miniature and this is a small world worth getting to know.

There are sixteen tracks in the collection, twelve original
compositions and four covers, of which the final one, 'Dream A
Little Dream', will be familiar to many (but given a somewhat
darker performance here than I have encountered before).

Mr Vedder has a lovely voice. Dark brown; honeyed and wholesome.
He never shows off; only ever delivering just what is necessary
for each song to make its mark without artifice or affectation.

The gentle vocal vibrato and chiming accompaniment of 'Broken
Heart' is particularly magical; so too the haunting melody of
'Sleepless Nights' with its delectable two-part harmony and
the folksy, somewhat more upbeat 'You're True', where Mr Vedder
really let's himself go! It's all good! It's all very good in fact!

The little duet with Cat Power, 'Tonight You Belong To Me', also
deserves a special mention for its truly enchanting simplicity.

A candle is burning in The Wolfcave, the curtains are drawn and
'Ukelele Songs' has made the worries of the world seem far away.

Delightful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting If A Little Different!!, 30 May 2011
Markie "marx1977" (hereandthere) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Basically if you are a fan of Eddie Vedder you are going to love this collection of songs. Taking himself, a ukulele, a couple of guest appearances, some new songs, some old songs and some very old songs he offers up an interesting mix. Heck I didn't know what to expect when I put this in the player, but I needn't have worried. OK some of the songs do get a bit melancholy and maybe the world could have done without another version of "Dream A Little Dream", but I have no complaints about that! The great thing about Eddie Vedder is that when he releases new material whether with Pearl Jam or solo, it's like having an old friend come walking back into your life. Always welcome and always entertaining.

3.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed, 29 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Ukulele Songs (Audio CD)

Sadly I didn't find the album quite as exciting as I has hoped and although I have played it many many times in an attempt to get into it, I am still left feeling slightly underwhelmed.

It's not a bad album. In fact it has many touching and beautiful moments, but I just don't feel any great passion for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fine purchase...., 31 May 2011
Got this today and there is a problem in reviewing CD's only currently got as after a brief flurry of listens they can end up on the shelf...bearing that in mind these are my initial thoughts but in all honesty I don't think they will change much over time.
The one thing that could help make this CD kind of timeless is the sparse treatment of man and ukulele which creates a reflective sometimes melancholy mood which instantly gives this release a depth I don't often hear on many releases these days.
Vedder's vocals suit the songs well in some ways I found them alike Cat Stevens/Yusuf Islam in their tone and delivery,the Ukulele(s) too work well alongside the tracks checking the sleeve notes it appears Vedder used various Tenor ukes on this release..covers and originals sit comfortably side by side and all in all this is a CD that as much as anything showcases the depth of the instrument itself..dragging the uke away from'music hall' baggage and proving it as a fun yet wholly legitimate folk instrument..maybe it's too early still to say CD of the year but for me this will be up there.
Just for the record(or CD) I do enjoy some Pearl Jam but only fleetingly so I suspect this is a CD which could have broader appeal than Eddie's usual fan base.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whoulda thought it?, 27 Jun. 2011
Dogglllzzz (West Auckland) - See all my reviews
A rock musician who plays the Ukelele? Now what is that all about?

Surprisingly, the concept works!

Starts off with Can't Keep, a Pearl Jam song from the Pearl Jam frontman i hear you say... Well i really like it. I wasn't sure about this song for the Ukelele but it turns out surprisingly well.

The rest are EVs interpretations of other artists (love) songs with an occasional duet with friends along the way.

A pity there is no Iron Man but that is hardly a love song is it, but Eddie has played it live with Pearl Jam.

Can't wait to see if EV brings out another Ukelele Songs Pt ii!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic album, 23 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Ukulele Songs (Audio CD)
I discovered the album by chance. The song 'longing to belong' was used in the new Hawaii five 0 series, I liked it, so I hunted it out. This is when I discovered this album, and the instrument that Eddie plays on it, would lead to a new passion in my life, the ukulele. Since buying this album, I have bought many ukulele, learned to play, and can now play the majority of these songs.
Eddies passion for this instrument, really shows in these songs and being the front man for Pearl Jam you would expect something different from the usual ukulele player, and he doesn't disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plinky Plink Music, 28 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Ukulele Songs (Audio CD)
For those with long memories, George Formby may be their only encounter with ukelele accompanied songs. Don't be put off - Eddie Vedder plays some serious tunes and his rich, dark voice, oozes emotion & power. The songs cover a wide range, from blues numbers to the old standard "Dream a little Dream (with me)". The ukelele drives them along with nary a "Cleaning Windows" or double entrendre in sight. Definitely a CD to put on one's birthday or Christmas list or as just an off the cuff treat. An "undiscovered" gem from the voice of Pearl Jam.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eddie Vedder making the ukulele cool!, 9 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Ukulele Songs (Audio CD)
A great piece of work from Eddie Vedder, the front man for the great Pearl Jam. This is a great solo album with Eddie and his ukulele and really showcases his incredible voice and song writing. There are some new songs and a couple of Pearl Jam songs also, which sound really very good reworked on the ukulele. Any hardcore Pearl Jam fan out there will really want to get their hands on this and for those that don't know Eddie Vedder's work will also enjoy this laid back album.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Ukulele Songs
Ukulele Songs by Eddie Vedder (Audio CD - 2011)