5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!
I'd never come across this series before, knew nothing about its background, website, authors, or anything else. I downloaded this as a free book, and am now absolutely hooked!

Published 21 months ago by Annie W

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to expectations
Downloaded this book as it seemed to be the sort of book I liked, was looking forward to a CSI / Sci fi mix, but unfortunately the book got bogged down more into interaction with the group, ie preparations for group barbecue etc, this has put me off getting any more books in this series
Published 19 months ago by Pip

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to expectations, 28 Jan 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Read as tv scripts, 27 Mar 2013
Gee Bee (S.W. Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shadow Unit 1 (Kindle Edition)
If you read this and visualize it as a series of TV show scripts it is quite enjoyable, but as a series of short stories there is no time to develop the main characters and as a result it is quite dissappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 27 Nov 2012
Annie W "bookworm" (Aberdeenshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shadow Unit 1 (Kindle Edition)

I was always taught to read the introduction to a book after reading the book, because it would make much more sense, and it's definitely true in this instance. For anyone else who knows nothing about it all, I couldn't do better than quote from the introduction: "A mystery/suspense show, a cop show, a profiler show - but with a science-fictional problem at its heart". The characters are a little confusing at first, but are then skilfully developed, partly as the solving of each case is told largely from the perspective of one of the investigators, but also through the vignettes which crop up between the main stories. Each member of the team is extremely complex, and there's certain to be much more to learn about their pasts, and presents, just hinted at at the moment.

The plots are exceptionally clever, and slightly chilling, but at the same time you can see the team meld together as they each become accustomed to the others' foibles, learn to trust, and open up a little about themselves. There are still lots of secrets. While I wouldn't want to be a Gamma, there might be something to be said for being a Beta, when you learn about their metabolism and read the many detailed descriptions of the type and amount of food they eat, purely in order to maintain minimum body weight.

There appear to be 12 books available on Kindle, and I have high hopes that they will be equally fascinating. I can't recommend this one highly enough.

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't get into it, 18 Dec 2012
This review is from: Shadow Unit 1 (Kindle Edition)
Really struggled with this one. Couldn't follow the characters and understand who was who. Seemed really odd balance of time allocated to elements of the book - for example a scene about a BBQ seemed to go on, and on, and on, and on about who bought what food and how many coolers were arriving and the dips OMG the dips...... If you're into your BBQs you might love it, I stopped reading at this point which was about half way through. Just didn't grab my attention and I love most action thrillers and sci-fi books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Different, 12 Mar 2013
This review is from: Shadow Unit 1 (Kindle Edition)
Totally different from what I was expecting, good stories but seemed to lack something. I loved the way the characters interacted between themselves when in the office or on in a meeting but when on mission very different people

2.0 out of 5 stars Shadow Unit 1, 2 Mar 2013
This review is from: Shadow Unit 1 (Kindle Edition)
Not my style of reading material, I didn't manage to finish it as I found it pretty boring and a bit disjointed , deleted after four or five chapters

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh Wow!, 29 Nov 2012
This review is from: Shadow Unit 1 (Kindle Edition)
What can I say other then I'm hooked! Got this as a free sci fi download for my Kindle and loved every story. Well written, pacy and interesting - not so hard core sci that you get bogged down in the details either.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful 'Ensemble Cast' of Characters - Great in Kindle Format, 26 Mar 2012
N. S. White (Southwest Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shadow Unit 1 (Kindle Edition)
I've been a huge fan of author Emma Bull, and have done my best to track down everything that she's written that's in print, including far-too-few novels and some very effective short stories. So it's not surprising that a search for her work was the first thing I did when I got my Kindle as a birthday gift.

I was delighted to discover the Shadow Unit series - and as a bonus to find it available at a very reasonable price.

Reading the 'Shadow Unit' series on my Kindle has been a great pleasure.

Among the greatest strengths of this series are a a believable 'alternative reality'and a meticulously-crafted plot development. It's all that you ever wished 'The X Files' or CSI to be - and more.

But the most outstanding and compelling feature of the series is a wonderfully-deveoped 'ensemble' cast of characters, and it is this which drew me forward from one Shadow Unit 'book' to the next. The series is consciously developed in a televisual style, and as such it succeeds very well on the TV screen of my inner eye (I haven't cared as much about a cast of characters since 'The West Wing').

Another reviewer (someone who first knew Shadow Unit from the internet) has said that they were very happy to pay for the Kindle version as some repayment for the work and craftmanship that was first 'published' for free in its internet format.

I completely agree with this sentiment.

Had I been aware of this series B.K. ('Before Kindle') I guess that I would have followed it online, even though reading chunks of text on the computer screen will never be as much pleasure for me as holding a book.

But the Kindle version is just perfect for me.

Shadow Unit's 'family' of characters followed me around as part of my imaginative life for several weeks. Checking the Shadow Unit website I see that the online version has progressed beyond the storyline of Shadow Unit 10 - I eagerly await the publication of Shadow Unit 11 on Kindle!

1.0 out of 5 stars Written by committee - and it shows, 14 April 2013
Graham S. Yule "Graham" (Manchester United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shadow Unit 1 (Kindle Edition)
Obverblown, florid, boring. I gave up after 20 pages. I just didn't care about the characters and what was happening.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shadow unit1, 30 Mar 2013
This review is from: Shadow Unit 1 (Kindle Edition)
Poor police departmental fiction based on television series.Disjointed stories and very much up itself with dubious and painful characterisations. Poor

Shadow Unit 1