5.0 out of 5 stars Chris
I recommend this book if, like me, you have spent time, effort and money trying to figure out how to remove your excess weight and have better all-round health.

Published on 30 Dec 2010 by C. Hilder

3.0 out of 5 stars Advice that might help you lose fat.
I am not sure I agree with everything in this book, namely that you can eat any amount of protein or fats and not get/gain fat.

I have been lifting weights and eating 6 small meals of protein and good carbs for around 6 years now.

I have read many books, magazines and the diets of top bodybuilders who become incredibly ripped (5% and below body...
Published 12 days ago by Share the LOVE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chris, 30 Dec 2010
C. Hilder (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews

This book is the second from Gary Taubes that I have read. The first `Good Calories, Bad Calories' (or The Diet Delusion here in the UK) is long, at nearly 600 pages, expects a knowledge and understanding of science, is occasionally repetitive and sometimes poorly edited, but makes the point about the wrong road we have been following in pursuit of weight loss and better health extremely well to my mind.

This is a shorter book and took a lot less time to read. It is clear to me that Taubes has tested and honed his arguments and has learned how to get them across better. To my mind the book flows easily. There were one or two technical sections but he led me up to these with background so by the time I got there I was able to understand the point he was making. In GCBC this was not the case and there were some sections that I didn't `get' and had to read a number of times to understand.

The book acknowledges but does not deal with the consequences to the environmental and moral questions that it raises. This is left for others to debate. Here the science behind fat metabolism is the focus of attention.

There is new information in here too. There is a description of Insulin Resistance that I found very useful in furthering my understanding. The unanswered question in the whole book for me is: Can Insulin Resistance be `cured' and if so how long does it take?

`Why We Get Fat...' is not really a diet book. Since starting the diet as prescribed here, though, I have lost 28lbs without hunger or any discomfort.

Thank you Gary for this book and for your perseverance in dealing with the establishment and with the established Diet writers who seem to me to be more interested in defending their own fiefdoms than in solving the issues of weight, diabetes, heart disease and cancer that is the natural outcome of this work. I hope that politicians and the medical establishment will read the book with an open-mind and change the message to benefit us all. Now where's the Lard...

Update August 2013:
It is now three years since I stared my low carbohydrate diet. In that time I have been able to continue to lose weight gradually. I have improved my blood markers (I cannot remember them all - but all the ones that count, LDL, HDL,Triglycerides, blood pressure,etc.) . Over the three years I have lost 65 lbs and I feel better than I have in years. My doctor wanted to put me on Statins as I am over 50 but when he saw my blood test results decided that it was unnecessary.

I am very pleased that in these three years Gary Taubes and Peter Attea have set up NuSi ([...] I very much support this idea as it seems the only way we will build a consensus and people will stop looking down their noses at me when I reach for the salt / fatty foods / cream that I love! Hopefully in a further three years the conversation will have moved on - I am sure my wife will be relieved when that is the case :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars you will never need another diet book, 27 Oct 2012
I read Gary Taubes other book 'The Diet Delusion' which I got from the library, it took me about 3 weeks to read, as it was pretty heavy going for a layman, plus it was absolutely fascinating. but must admit to skipping a couple of paragraphs! so thought I would buy this book 'Why we get fat', and very glad I did, because I did miss some of the crucial points Gary makes. And now have all the answers, loosing weight and eating the foods I love most, plus butter on everything!I will never need another diet book, this one is all you need to know.I have cured my diabetes,exterior body inflammation gone, blood pressure down. Doctors surgery gave me a diet sheet for diabetes, I laughed when I read it, would have put me back in diabetes. Wonder how long until the medical profession in the UK acknowledges the benefits of low carb? with the exception of the enlightened ones, such a Dr.John Briffa to name but one.In fact it was Dr.John Briffas book 'Escape the Diet Trap', I got from the library that started me down this road in the first place,was a bit annoyed as I had just got my cupboards restocked, ready to turn vegetarian/vegan, in another attempt to try and loose this ghastly weight, started at 22stone, down to 16stone at moment, target 11stone. and know i will finally do it. Hallelujah.I am around 60 and have been dieting most of my adult life, so wish I had found this information a long time ago, still am now going to enjoy....everything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Praise from a lifetime yo-yo dieter., 25 Aug 2013
R. E. Lee "RELinSpain" (Spain) - See all my reviews
In my 65 years on this planet, I've spent a good proportion of them trying to lose weight.
I love all that's bad for you. Pies, chips, alcohol, chocolate, you name it. Denying myself the pleasures of eating what I enjoy seemed to be an integral part of any and every diet I've ever tried, (and I've tried a lot).
At a conservative estimate, I'd say I've dieted off some 25 stones over around 45 years. A stone here, two stones there, with the inevitable result that sooner rather than later, the weight-loss eating regime wouldn't last. It never did.
In december 2012, I clocked my heaviest weight ever at 17st 5lbs, (110kg). I'm 180cm, 5'11", and decided another diet beckoned. By serendipity, I came across Gary Taubes' book and gave it a read. The message seemed clear (if a little laboured in places) though it could have been conveyed in 100 pages fewer, so why not give it a try?
The eating regime (not really a diet as such) was easy to follow and I stuck to it religiously for 6 weeks (no alc'), no deviations from the rules. The results were astounding. A stone and a half 'fell off' with any minor feelings of denial of 'treats' being utterly outweighed (no pun intended)by the euphoria of the achievement.
I'm now 8 months down the line and 26kg lighter (13st 2lbs). I'm still losing, but only at the rate of 1kg/month, because I've relented of some of the stricter rules and woven some 'treats' into my eating/drinking habits. For instance, I have several G&Ts a week (5 or 6 large ones), plus a bottle of red wine. I have a bar of chocolate at the weekend 100-200g depending on what I fancy (high cocoa content), none of the sugar-free rubbish. I exercise regularly too, partly because I can, now that I'm 4st lighter, but primarily because I enjoy it. (Cycling for an hour on the Med's flat coastal roads is no hardship).
I haven't had potatoes, pies, rice, pasta, beer or bread for 8 months and realise it'll have to stay that way (except perhaps for the very occasional mega-treat). To be honest, I enjoy being fit and 4st lighter more than I miss the carb-loaded foods I've been filling myself with over 64 years.
Gary Taubes, I salute you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for everyone, 18 Aug 2011
I bought this book after a recommendation from a blogger who said he was loosing weight thanks to this book. After reading it, I can see why.

When I was young I could (and did) eat everything I wanted without becoming fat - I loved it! However since I was about 27, my body changed and I started putting on weight, so in my 40's I have a normal male middle aged spread, which conventional diets failed to address.

Now I have read this book I understand why. It is the first book that looks at the chemistry going on in your body and explains how it is the composition of your diet that affects your weight, not the calorie in vs. calories burnt low fat mantra that "nutritionists" have been killing us with for 50 years.

Have been following his low carb recommendations for about 3 weeks and have lost 5 kilos and feel great. Everyone should read this book so they can make an informed choice about their diet in the future. It isn't an easy way of life, and isn't for everyone, but everyone could learn something about their bodies from reading this, to help themselves and the burden on health services around the world due to the poor western diet we enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, 28 Jan 2011
Yay!! (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
A very easy read - clear, concise, you'll get the point first time every time.

I'm rereading it, from cover to cover as it's so good, and I want to make certain I've not missed anything.

In a nutshell, if you eat sugar, flour and other hi carb foods, you generate a lot of insulin.

Insulin is a very powerful hormone, that has the following effect...
1. Its stops you burning fat instantly, so if you eat carbs, you literally cannot lose weight.
2. Insulin is known as the hunger hormone, so you're starving and overeating.

Current Dieting advice is to eat 5 portions of fruit and veg. If you eat 4 meals plus 5 fruit, you'll be realising Insulin 9 times a day... so you'll be permanently starving and worse, unable to burn any fat... so won't lose weight at all.
Insulin triggers our overeating.

It's a constant cycle.
This advice breaks that cycle and gives you masses of research to back up it's arguments. It's a stunning piece of work, that blasts government advice for the folly that it is.

All current diets miss the key factor - the influence of hormones.
This book introduces the concept that Obesity is "malnutrition", it's caused by poor quality foods in sugar and flour not by overeating or lack of exercise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fat to thin in the blink of an eye, 10 Aug 2011
I was tempted to buy this book following the number of positive reviews and because I wanted something which explained the science behind the weight-loss plan. I am 38, 2 small kids, 5 ft 6.5 and weighed 11 st 11 on Mon 1 Aug; this is the weight I naturally gravitate to, but I am going on hols in 2 wks with my glamorous size 8 ex-air-hostess friend so had been trying to lose weight since April, with only 1.5 lbs lost in 4 mths. I was v disheartened and had been cutting down cals to 1600 a day of "healthy" food, and doing 4 hrs of hard exercise a week, which took a major amount of effort and could not understand why the weight wasn't coming off, as I was eating better than I ever had and doing a major amount of exercise. Then the guy at the gym told me I was eating too many carbs, and so I bought this book to read up on the science, which I had previously thought was ridiculous and was a firm believer in balanced diet/lots of fruit/exercise/low fat - how wrong I was! I am now 11 5 after 10 days!!! This is amazing for me - I have never lost so much weight in such a little time and most importantly not felt hungry. The diet itself is a life-style choice, as you have to take time in the mornings to cook eggs etc where you might normally just have cereal etc, but I love the fact you can snack on cheese! It effectively shows that Atkins was right, and many people's bodies cannot metabolise the amount of carbs we eat nowadays as they are shoved into loads of processed foods (e.g. skimmed milk and yogurts!). I felt tired on days 1/2 on thsi but since then been fine - it's good as before I felt all this pressure to exercise to lose weight whereas he says that doesn't make a difference to weight loss, just fitness. I think this book is great for someone like me who needs to see the science behind something to believe it - especially such a radical departure from current thinking on weight loss - and I'm thrilled with the results to date.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading, 7 July 2011
J. Malone (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
Having read 'Protein Power' a number of years ago I already knew how bad carbs were and that it's them rather than fats that make us fat. However reading this book will completely change the way you think about food; or at least it did with me. Gary explains in great detail that we eat because we get fat, the conventional wisdom is that we get fat because we eat. If that doesn't make sense now then read this book; for those of you who are overweight maybe its time to stop blaming the obesity epidemic on gluttony or your own lack of willpower.
Please note, this is not a diet book and I agree with Gary Taubes that diets just don't work, at least not in the long term. Having said that, I lost a large amount of weight after reading this book because I changed what I eat rather than how much I eat. I don't see that there's an end point or a target weight to be reached, after which point I'll go back to my old bad eating habits. This is the diet trap and one of the many reasons they fail.
This book will debunk years of dietary myths and completely shatter the hypothesis that high fat, high cholesterol diets lead to heart disease and obesity.
I was trying to think of a particular demographic for whom this book is essential reading but actually it's essential reading for everyone. Whether you're a parent trying to make the right food choices for your kids, suffering from obesity or just plain health conscious; buy this book and change the way you think about food forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading !!!, 22 Feb 2011
I stumbled onto this book quite by accident, when listening to the podcast Windows Weekly of all things. Paul Thurrott a tech journalist who seldom goes into print talked about this book in an extremely positive way, as I respect his opinion on tech matters it encouraged me to get this book - and I am very glad I did. Gary Taubes book is just on the money with the amount of scientific evidence he unearthed that casts major doubts on the perceived widom from nutritionists, doctors and current and latter day scientists who bang the drum for the low fat, high carb, calories in/calories out crowd. His book systematically and emphtatically undermines all that and comes to a "heretical" conclusion that we are becoming more obeses as well follow the "conventional wisdom"

I recommend this book highly and would also urge readers interested in material such as Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson as a complimentary source that comes to the same conclusion but from a completely different angle, whereas Gary Taubes book is built on scientific evidence, Mark Sisson's book stems from his days as a very successful athlete - two authors, who have no known association to my knowledge that arrive at the same conclusion that increase insulin caused by high carb diets are the biggest culprit behind the explosion in obesity we see today.

Both books, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my life ..... and not joking, 22 Aug 2012
What is great about this book is that it goes through the science and explains why. It goes and looks at loads of different studies done and backs up the arguments.

This helped me change my way of thinking and thus life style. Results went from a 38 waist to a 32 waist.

Lots of people told me what I was doing was dangerous and bad for me .... I suggested they read the book ..... if I had not read the book I may have listened to them and gone back to my old life style.

I have not only lost a load of fat but I feel great which also a massive benefit.

One problem is I have to keep buying new clothes as every 3-4 weeks the pair of jeans or t-shirt i bought were too big so started buying clothes that were too small for me. This also helped as a motivation.

Very happy I look so different and when I show people the pictures of what I used to look like they can't believe it is me.

Oh .... and to prove a point to myself I did not increase my exercise over the last 6 months just changed my eating habits.

Thanks Garry I am back to what I was when I was 18 :)

5.0 out of 5 stars This works., 15 Jun 2012
Nearly all my adult life, I've bordered on overweight, with 25% body fat. I've exercised very hard for sustained periods of time, I've done calorie controlled diets, I've eaten wholegrains and wholemeal, I've spent a decade as a vegetarian, and I've followed the orthodox advice to the letter. I lost some weight (24lb at one time) then regained most of it. Ultimately, I settled for `this is how it is - I'm just built to be fat, and I'm going to have to work hard to just stop myself getting obese.'
Then, I went low carb, on a `primal living' regime. Result - the spare tyre melted away, my body fat is an acceptable 8 - 12%, I have more energy at 50 than at any time in the past 20 years, and I look good. (In fact, I look wonderful!)
This book explains WHY the `primal living' regime works.
But, I suggest you don't just take my word for it - try it; it works for me, whereas NOTHING ELSE HAS.