Format: Audio CD|Change

on 14 November 2011
Magical Mystery Guitar tour is the follow up to Carlos Bonell's Queen Guitar Rhapsodies.Unlike it's predecessor though the album features purely solo guitar arrangements and forgoes the orchestral accompaniment.
Unlike the Queen album though which mainly sticks to the recognised arrangements of the Queen recordings, this album has some inventive and courageous arranging by Carlos Bonell where he frequently takes his time to fully unveil which particular Lennon/McCartney or Harrison track is being performed.Most notable in this respect is "Penny Lane" which actually begins with "Kemp's jig" before rolling seamelessly into "Penny Lane"
The two George Harrison numbers here, "Here Comes the Sun" and "Something" are both among the highlights, HCTS because of it's up tempo drive and bravura and "Something" with it's calm and delicate re-harmonisation which acts as the centrepiece of the album.

The album is varied in style and goes from the aforementioned zest of "Here Comes the Sun" through the jazzy humour of "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" and frantic bass of "Eleanor Rigby" to the heavily adapted "Here There and Everywhere" and "Fool on the Hill" closing with the joyful "With a Little Helk from My Friends". For me however the standout tracks are "Strawberry Fields" and "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".
There are fifteen tracks in all but what Bonell does so well is keep the core of these classic tracks while somehow embelishing them to bring something new to material that has been re-recorded so many times before.I am not a die hard fan of the Beatles but on this album Carlos Bonell certainly brings a refreshing twist to this enduring material which I am sure will be of interest to guitar players and Beatles fans alike.
on 15 November 2011
I bought this album last week and love it! If you like classical guitar this is a must have album. The arrangements are great and, as the title says, it does take you on a tour through various styles of guitar (not just flamenco as a previous reviewer had noted) and each piece really shows Carlos, who is without doubt one of the best players in the world currently, at his best.
If you play classical guitar you can pick up some great ideas for melodies and themes from listening to this album as it is very inspiring- it helped my playing.
Check out the videos on youtube too- this guy is awesome!
on 14 November 2011
Just bought this CD and I love it. A must have for Beatles and classical guitar lovers alike. The arrangements give the songs a new twist and still have the unique Beatles sound. Listen to 'Hear comes the sun' and you know what I mean. Another favourite of mine is 'Strawberry Fields'. There is a clip on youtube if you want to hear and see more. I'll be watching out for more.
on 15 November 2011
I heard a couple of tracks on the radio a couple of months ago and loved the sound. It is a great album and listen to it often whilst working. Not generally my thing, but easy to recommend if you love the Beatles and if you are in the mood for some seriously chilled music. Well worth checking Carlos on the web in general, there are some really nice intimate videos of him playing.
on 20 January 2014
For me his interpretation through the classical guitar of these Beatles hit was amazing. It was difficult to understand some relatively unflattering comments I read prior to purchase. How I would love to even begin to emulate the technical prowess and musicality of Carlos Bonell.
on 3 July 2012
I bought this for my brother-in-law who is a semi-professional guitarist & a lover of the Beatles, so after hearing an interview with the artist on local radio & hearing him play, I thought this would make an ideal gift. He was delighted with it.
on 17 March 2014
Bit disappointed with this CD Only played it once. Some of the tunes were a bit distorted I thought. Guitar players will love it anyway
on 28 July 2014
We saw Carlos Bonell on a P and O Cruise and loved the sound he made and wanted a CD of his. We are very pleased with our purchase.
on 25 November 2014
Impeccable artistry, arranged superbly well. Any classical guitar fan will love this album, it's a must-have!
on 2 January 2014
Played and enjoyed by my Dad. If you like their music, what's not to like? It's brill, fab, groovy man.