Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

To celebrate the game, 'L.A. Noire', this anthology of eight short stories has been released. With an introduction by Charles Ardai, a fully active table of contents, and featuring stories by the likes of Lawrence Block, Joyce Carol Oates, and Megan Abbott, along with others, this is a real treat. Apparently some of the tales are based around parts of the game's storyline, but as I haven't yet played it I cannot tell you which ones.

All the tales are more or less set in 40's L.A., and the stories range from such things as the sexual deviances of the rich and famous, to murder, including inside the mind of a killer; there is a good selection here. With literally murder by proxy, and committing a crime so someone goes down for it, there is more than enough to keep us all entertained.

If you love crime noir, then this should be ideal for you.
on 24 August 2013
Written by the absolute masters and told very passionately which great dialouge. Thank god I don't live in L.A . Ha
on 14 June 2011
Some of these stories were great and really did create a "noir" atmosphere without coming across as parody.

The authors are
Francine Prose
Jonathan Santlofer
Duane Swierczynski
Andrew Vachss

I was a bit disappointed with Lansdale's story which was a shame as I have read and liked some of his books.

The Joyce Carol Oates story was really enjoyable and reminded a little bit of James Ellroy.

I haven't played the game yet but this could stand alone as a short story collection. For a free product this was fantastic and certainly a lot better than the Novellas that are sometimes based on games.
on 9 May 2015
Great book! Definitely a good buy.
on 28 March 2016
I lost interest half way through.
VINE VOICEon 10 June 2011
I can't see any reason not to download this. For the princely sum of zero, you get stories from some of the very best crime writers out there, tied in to and expanding Rockstar's game. As a piece of promotion for the game, I think this is just about flawless. Well done Rockstar.
on 8 June 2011
So I really wanted to like this, because I am a great fan of the actual game & it has definitely opened me up to an entirely new scene. Needless to say, I was excited to download this (and I likely would've paid for it, too, unless I knew the quality of the stories).

I have read 7/8 so far, but five out of these have been weak. The kind of weak where the authors try to be something that they are not, making their writing style seem very sloppy and cliche... Unrefined, really. There's no real conclusion to most of the stories, save for maybe one or two. Most failed to catch the "noir" feel , either because they exaggerated or because it wasn't really interesting, whereas the other two I found passable since they reminded me of Richard Yates.

Overall, I'm really not impressed. Maybe I was expecting more (too much?) but I think that a literally typed version of the game would've been more satisfying.
on 7 January 2014
Very very good definitely read it even if it is collected stories and Cole is not in it is still good
on 3 August 2014