Immortals [DVD] [2011]
Format: DVDChange
Price:£2.84+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

This movie is literally banking on the success of "300" knowing its fans will come out in hordes to see this film which is a fictional version of Greek mythology. Or that is to say, "Inspired by an actual myth." I was disappointed in the story line. If you are going to spend $75 million on a movie, spend more than a dime on the script. And who came up with that ridiculous looking Venus Fly-Trap hood? What was most sad was that these are really good actors, but you couldn't tell it from this film.If you are a fan of Greek mythology or a decent script, you might want to skip this one. If you like 3-D CG violence, go for it or better yet, wait for the DVD and fast forward to the fight scenes at the end. "Everybody was Kung-fu fighting..."

Brief sex, brief nudity. 3 stars is generous.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The film tells the tale of 'Theseus'(Henry Cavill) a well trained young warrior living the life of a peasant in a small Grecian community.
An invasion is imminent, 'King Hyperion'( Mickey Rourke) is in search of the legendary long lost 'Bow' which has special powers.
The peasants are told to wait until the morning before moving into the fortified area, however, it' proves to be too late as the invading forces sweep into the small encampment killing all but a few.
The survivors including 'Theseus' are to be sent to work in the salt mines.
However the survivors are helped to escape their captors, 'Theseus' goes back to his home to give his mother who he'd been forced to see killed at the hands of the invading king, a proper funeral in accordance to tradition.
It is at this time, 'Theseus' stumbles across the much sought 'Bow' soon learning it's power.
Now 'Theseus' sets out to rally the few to face the many, and fulfil his destiny.
The 'Gods' who are only supposed to look on are set to get involved.
This is a really good watch in both 3D and 2D, maybe not as intense in battle as some of the battle classics we've seen in recent years, however it is visually impressive with some pretty good battle sequences, certainly worthy of at least a viewing if not adding to your collection.
on 21 October 2014
This review is for the Region 2 DVD release of the film: "Immortals"
As this film has had loads of reviews I'll make this one short.
Had the director NOT filmed in dim/low light throughout a great deal of the films length (was there an electric power shortage?) AND with the ridiculous use of tinting filters it would certainly have made for a much kinder viewing on the eyes. As it is, in parts I found myself straining my eyes to actually see what was on the screen. The tinting made the colours look unnatural and did nothing to improve the overall viewing experience.
Why was it not shoot in good old Technicolour?
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Eons after the Gods won their mythic struggle against the Titans, a new evil threatens the land.

Mad with power, King Hyperion has declared war against humanity. Amassing a bloodthirsty army of soldiers disfigured by his own hand, Hyperion has scorched Greece in search of the legendary Epirus Bow, a weapon of unimaginable power forged in the heavens by Ares.

Only he who possesses this bow can unleash the Titans, who have been imprisoned deep within the walls of Mount Tartaros since the dawn of time and thirst for revenge.

In the king's hands, the bow would rain destruction upon mankind and annihilate the Gods.

But ancient law dictates the Gods must not intervene in man's conflict. They remain powerless to stop Hyperion, until a peasant named Theseus comes forth as their only hope.

Secretly chosen by Zeus, Theseus must save his people from Hyperion and his hordes.

As you would expect from an artist such as Tarsem Singh (a director who extends his name by one word each movie), the film is beautiful to look at. And in one instance, I was expecting something more arty than 300, the film it's destined to be compared to.

Then we meet the characters and it's back to basics really.

I cannot fault the acting, it's brilliant and Cavill and Rourke seem to be having a blast, and the support too is spot on.

It's just that in between all the psychedelic images we see on scree, there is dialogue so clunky and inane, it's very hard to swallow.

The fight scenes are okay, but it's nothing you haven't seen before, and the basic story is something straight out of Harry Hamlins loin cloth.

But thanks to a tremendous turn from Rourke and some of the years finest imagery, Immortals is one of those films you can just sit back, and go with it.

And the 3D doesn't hurt either, it really shows that in the right hands, 3D could be something wonderful, and not a gimmick.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 19 June 2014
OK, I don't write many reviews but thought I would add my view after reading some of the comments made.

I concur with most that this film does not have much of a story or plot but I believe the action and the CGI make up for this. I personally love the genre and one of the first films I ever watched was the original 'Clash of the Titans' on VHS so I appreciate I may be slightly biased on this. The movie flows nicely and the action, for me, maintained my interest throughout the film.

This is a film to buy when on special offer and get out once a year on a miserable Sunday afternoon - just sit back, turn off brain and enjoy.

If your into films with a cracking story and a brilliant twist I recommend 'Devil' - not much spent on CGI but the story is great, imho.
on 9 October 2014
Visually, this is a great film. As far as the storyline goes, not so much. The plot is basic and if it weren't for the effects, set decoration and costumes (with the exception of the headpieces worn by the gods, which are verging on the ridiculous) I think my attention would have waned. The film's take on the minotaur is interesting and the costumes of Hyperion's other minions are good, but the gods are not convincing in the slightest.

The one stand-out performance is that of Mickey Rourke as King Hyperion. With his voice and presence, he brings a definite power and threat to the role. It's such a shame his performance wasn't part of a better film, as it was with the fantastic Sin City

I bought the Clash of the Titans remake at the same time and I have to say it wins hands down when it comes to which I'd watch if I had the choice, as does its sequel Wrath of the Titans.
on 28 January 2015
I purchased this order as I wanted the 3D experience (having recently purchased a new 3D tele) plus standard Bluray and digital copy. The Digital Copy was almost a year out of date so i was unable to claim the download. I did get close to returning the film but for what i paid i thought the hassle out weighed the gain (had i purchased from the high street i would have returned), I am only giving the product 3 star due to this. If i had the digital download i would easily give 4 star.

Now I have aired my frustration, i loved this film, not as much as 300, but the same type of film. Great CGI and lots to like about the film, the main character doesn't have the gravitas that Gerad Butler had in 300 but it is a good watch.
VINE VOICEon 2 August 2013
but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine. - Socrates

King Hyperion (Mickey Rourke) megalomaniac only wants the world. After dispatching the mother of Theseus (Henry Cavill) he expects Theseus to join his cause. However the gods including Zeus (Luke Evans) expect Theseus to do his duty and save mankind without the help of the gods. It is not easy wondering who to put our emotions behind.

This presentation is just a tad of distortion of mythical history. A little too much CGI almost makes it a cartoon. There is lots of action and flying blood, one gratuitous birthday suite form the backside, scrawny titans and contemporary dialog. But most of all there is lots of loud music and noise.
on 7 October 2014
a thrilling, enjoyable and violent epic adventure into a stylized ancient greece from a visionary director and featuring a great ensemble cast. one of the best films of 2011 and an underrated film in general
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Perhaps I am easily pleased but I found Immortals an enjoyable film to watch. The 3D effects were well judged, great photography, good choreography to the fight scenes and a cast who at least tried to be entertaining. I cannot comment as to the accuracy of the mythology surrounding the characters but if that was to be the main criteria, I would watch a documentary instead. If you are trying to build a 3D library, there are worse films you could purchase, and for just over eight quid, I think this is a bit of a bargain. Certainly a film I will watch again.